Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Does Crosshatch triggers bother cleaner shrimps

I'm planning to get a crosshatch trigger. Wanted to know if it bothers cleaner shrimps since I have some in my tank. Thanks!
Old 02/23/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

would like to know the same thing if others are inclined to answer
Old 02/23/2007, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

My guy chomped 3 out of 4 shrimp. 2 blood, and 1 skunk. He doesn't bother the othe skunk for some reason.
Old 02/23/2007, 10:11 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Yes. I kept a pair of Crosshatches for about 2 months with six cleaners and then they started disappearing one by one. I imagine they didn't realize they were a food source at first but once they got a taste they started picking them off.
Old 02/23/2007, 11:35 PM
DARC Board Member

Like giving candy to a baby...... you'll have some happy Crosshatches! My male even ate a big Sally Lightfoot that he got a hold of that I pulled from my reef (it had grown to the point that it was chasing small fish). Go figure... fish acting naturally.

-Rob
Old 02/24/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Smile

Thanks guys for the response! I may need to weigh it in. I love keeping cleaner shrimp as they help keep parasites under check. My local store has one healthy male crosshatch for sale. I may need to choose whether they are worth the gamble.
Old 02/24/2007, 02:29 AM
Premium Member

I'd bet your shrimp would be gone as soon as your CH is acclimated. Once they are comfortable they may even eat a small fish if your not feeding them enough. I lost a large male flame wrasse to a large male crosshatch. He consumed most of the flesh but left the head and spine alone. I think they collect them like Predator.
Old 02/24/2007, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

I have had the opposite experinece. I have had a pair of crosshatches for almost a year now, and all the shrimp that were there when they arrived are still present, and I've even added many shrimp (under the cover of darkness), and they all still seem to be there. Bear in mind, I added 18 peppermints, and I can't definitively say I still have 18, but I know I have a lot. And I have 4 cleaner, and 2 fires that are both present and accounted for.
Old 02/24/2007, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

But I agree with alkatoes- my male ate 7 of 8 chromis in the first 3 days.
Old 02/25/2007, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

I have had my crosshatch for awhile and they have not bother my cleaner shrimp, pepperming shrimp, fairy wrasse or my neon goby.
It even lets the goby do some cleaning. I think the male is a little more aggresive then the female but no damage done so far.
Old 02/25/2007, 04:38 PM
Zeolishious

Same here, I have had my crosshatch for probably 6 months and has not bothered anything but my rbta and clowns. He likes to bite the tips of the rbta and **** off the clowns. He also bites the front of the tank when he is really hungry. But he does not bother my cleaner, harliquin or coral banded.

Clint

I am the coral king! I can do anything!

Click on the red house and see the my reef.. (2-10p.m. pst.)
User name= reefcentral
Password= password