Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

30gal mixed tank pics

Tank was started July 2007
Lighting is 2 70w (14k bulbs) metal halide diy
Filtration Eheim classic canister filter
Flow 3-400 maxijet on a wavemaker and 1 nano koalia

about 30lbs of rock, forgot how much sand

Livestock
velvet damsel
maroon clown
lawnmower blenny
2 peppermint shrimp
snails and scarlet hermit crabs

Coral
Acropora- don't know name
Pocillopora?
branching monti
glove polyp
hydnophora
frogspawn

I do 5gal water changes everyweek and clean canister about 1 a month. I do not have a protein skimmer do to space limitations with the hood.
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

Old 01/02/2008, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/02/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/02/2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

u have way way to many diatoms in ur tank that take away from what it could be. check ur phosphate,get a large cleanup crew consisting of astria,turbo snails,blue leg hermits,and emerlads. i do suggest u get a skimmer to get some of this crap out of there. also i would defenantly invest in a uv sterlizer. it will help get rid of some of the algae if not most of it. what is the light cycle on the tank?
Old 01/02/2008, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I agree with brandon on the cuc and the checking the phosphate but other than that its lookin good oh and the velvet damsel can reach up to 6" so check up on him, hes/she is in the medium to large damsel family

here is some info on it
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/mari...lvetDamsel.php
Old 01/02/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

if its hood space your worried about, you can always set up an overflow feeding into a DIY sump. adn even if you dont have room directly below the tank, im sure theres a spot you can plumb to. you would be amazed at the difference a skimmer can do.

if you really THAT tight on space, look into skimmers like the Aqua-C EV series, which can be used inline. all you would need is to plumb it through the skimmer and use a return pump to plumb it back into the tank.

or if you want a cheaper solution, just beef up your clean-up crew. some nassarius snails would do your sand wonders, and ive always like emerald crabs.

whatever you choose to do, let us know and keep posting pics. that is the best way to explain any situation as well as improve
Old 01/02/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

space is very very tight on this tank. i'm thinking about building a sump for it, but i'm having trouble with space under the tank. i do have space next to the tank that i was thinking about. canister is kind of a pain in the butt to clean. i do have about 10 nassaruis snails and about five scarlet crabs. i was worried about putting more in. also have some tronchus and cerith snails in there also.
the maroon is going in the 125. i did not know the velvet would get that big so i will see what to do with him. i don't know if i want a damsel in my 125.
the light cycle is 8 hours, but it gets a lot of sun. my house has very large windows in all the rooms. as far as the algae, its looking better then it did. i was having a big problem with the green algae, not the hair algae type. you can see it on the rocks. would a uv sterilizar be plumbed into the sump return line? thanks for the help
Old 01/03/2008, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

well I have a book called "the complete book of Marine Aquarium" by Vincent B Hargereaves and its states they only grow to 2"...so I donno do somemore research on it and if worse comes to worse, bring it to a LFS or sell/trade/give to another reefer....
Old 01/03/2008, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

I love the contrast between your first and second pic!

Yeah, you've got a nutrient export problem there. You have several different types of undesirable algae growing unchecked. Seems like you should have plenty of flow though. A fuge with some chaeto would also go a long way towards helping you battle that. Also, I think with some patience, you could probably solve this problem with more frequent water changes and limiting the nutrient input into the system (like RO/DI need servicing? feeding too much?)

Many of your corals seem to be doing well though. This tank's got potential.

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.