Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 08/23/2007, 02:57 PM
angelfish nut!

Angelfish Lovers, get ready to add to your bookshelf!

Hey guys, for those of you who are even remotely interested in angelfish there is an excellent new book coming out next month. The book is titled "Angelfishes of the World", and was first published in Japanese. A few months ago I gave my talk on rare angelfish with Julian Sprung at a reef club meeting and we had dinner afterwards. Most people know Julian as the guy who literally wrote the book on The Reef Aquarium along with Charles Delbeek, but he is also an angelfish nut like many of us! Like many of the big names in this hobby, deep down he shares the same trait as many of us; a true passion for this wonderful hobby. Anyway, his company Two Little Fishies has finished an updated English version of the book to be released at MACNA next month in Pittsburgh. Even better, the Japanese author, Kiyoshi Endoh, will be at MACNA along with Julian!

I've seen the Japanese version of this book and while I had no idea what the text said, the photos were AMAZING! Even cooler is that Julian was able to squeeze in one of my photos into the English version just before it was printed, so I get a free copy! Of course I'll still have to purchase a second copy that will be the "red flagged" edition that will sit in my bathroom .

Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads up to you guys, as this will be one of the few opportunities ever to get this book autographed. There will be a limited number of copies, so if you are attending MACNA be sure to hit them up sooner rather than later... The cover of the book was just posted on the Two Little Fishie's website here.

Who else is excited?

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/23/2007, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

I'll be second in line right behind you!

Carl
Old 08/23/2007, 03:50 PM
Moved On

I hope its a little more involved then Scott Michael's Angelfish & Butterfly book.
Old 08/23/2007, 05:42 PM
Unregistered Member

Looks like a good book! Hope it's not too expensive.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 08/23/2007, 06:08 PM
angelfish nut!

$24.99

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/23/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Just remember that Scot is writing on all the world's SW aquarium & reeffish. His book was excellent when viewed that way.
That being said, I'll be looking for a copy of thi one at the earliest possible moment. This is great news!

Matthew
Old 08/23/2007, 07:57 PM
Old Man

Anyone know or heard anything about when the next part of his book is coming out?
Old 08/23/2007, 10:51 PM
hobbyist

Thanks for the heads up on this book. I try to get as many angel/butterfly resources as I can. This one looks very good.
Old 08/24/2007, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

do you know when is coming out?
20L sump/fuge
2xKoralia 4
DIY auto top off
150lbs LS
130lbs LR
Old 08/24/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

This is awesome! Thanks for the heads up John, can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Dave
Old 08/24/2007, 10:07 AM
angelfish nut!

Re: Angelfish Lovers, get ready to add to your bookshelf!

Quote:
Originally posted by nycsicktank
do you know when is coming out?
Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Two Little Fishies has finished an updated English version of the book to be released at MACNA next month in Pittsburgh.
The book will actually be $29.95, but at MACNA they will have a nice poster to promote the book! You single guys could hang it wherever, and us married guys could squeeze it in our fish rooms . Julian will not be making MACNA, but again the author, Kiyoshi Endoh, will be there.

Also making its first appearance in print will be the biggest angelfish discovery to date this year; the first known hybrid between Centropyge potteri and Centropyge fisheri, collected by Reef Central's own William Crook (pactrop)! Through the eons of time humans have colonized the Hawaiian Islands, these two most common species of angelfish in Hawaii were never known to hybridize until March of this year. Congratulations again to Bill, a genuine nice guy and family man who turned down high dollar offers and donated this fish to the Waikiki Aquarium for all of us to see in their deep reef exhibit...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Last edited by copps; 08/24/2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08/24/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

John:

Maybe this is still unknown, but will it be a captive care book, or natural history book, or what?
Old 08/24/2007, 10:38 AM
angelfish nut!

Hey Jeremy, I guess we'll see... here is a caption from their website...

"A comprehensive guide to the identification and captive husbandry of all of the known species in the family Pomacanthidae. This book discusses the biology of angelfish life histories, biogeography, taxonomy, their captive care and feeding, key features used for distinguishing the sexes, and captive breeding and rearing methods."

Again I've only seen the Japanese book, and this was long before I knew of the English version coming out. Most of the images though are captive ones from Japan I remember, and of course we could never see enough of those...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 08/24/2007, 10:44 AM
High Plains Drifter

Wow, this is going to be great! Thanks for the update
Old 08/24/2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Looks like another book to add to the collection! Thanks for sharing!

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 08/24/2007, 12:57 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheol
Just remember that Scot is writing on all the world's SW aquarium & reeffish. His book was excellent when viewed that way.
That being said, I'll be looking for a copy of thi one at the earliest possible moment. This is great news!

Matthew
no, its just about butterflys and angels (and i think remoras) but the main focus was bf and angels not all the sw and reef fish in the world. you must be confusing another one of his books
Old 08/24/2007, 01:23 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by honda2sk
no, its just about butterflys and angels (and i think remoras) but the main focus was bf and angels not all the sw and reef fish in the world. you must be confusing another one of his books
The book you are referring to is one Volume of a series of books covering 68 fish families. The Angelfish and Butterfly Volume also includes 10 other fish families. I think the point Sheol was trying to make is that on top of angels and butterflies Scott is writing up 66 other fish families... With that considered I think his Volume 3 is an excellent source of info on these two families...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 08/24/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

John, the photo they used in the book, is it the photo of your first regal which is on the euro reef site?

BTW that photo is possibly one of the most stunning on any web page.
Old 08/24/2007, 08:19 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks Laddy (I feel like I have to say that with a Scottish accent!)...

The photo you are talking about was an excellent photo of my old 65 gallon taken by my buddy Robie Sayan, an accomplished photographer... and a pretty good reefer... he had a sick tank that was TOTM in October '03 here... The nice thing is that he is back in the hobby after being out for a little while... I've loved regal angels for so many years, and my trio has now been together for over two and a half years... after a certain amount of time it's alll about disaster avoidance, like I put in my signature. The photo Julian squeezed in was one of my Centropyge resplendens/ Centropyge fisheri pair that Frank Baensch bred... it's not even that great of a photo in my opinion, as I'm much more of an aquarist than a photographer, but I'm thrilled to be part of the book... my wife may roll her eyes, but the fish are excited! . The nice thing is my wife has always wanted to see Chicago, and finally... finally something positive from my fish passion pays off for her... I was asked to do my talk on rare angelfish at next year's IMAC in Chicago! Some of the images I use will be coming from Julian... he's a passionate guy about angelfish too, and just a great guy to sit and have a beer with...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 08/24/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Yes, exactly my point. Scott's book covered 10 marine fish famlies, aside from Angels & butterflies. Looked at that way, it was extremely informative. I've yet to read any series of mooks more totally overall informative. Now, where is Volume 4 Mr. Michaels? we are getting impatient.
I am also now waiting for this new Angel book..

Sincerely,
Matthew
Old 08/25/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
after a certain amount of time it's alll about disaster avoidance, like I put in my signature.
Yep, no doubt about it.......... fish usually die because hobbyists kill them.
Old 08/25/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

I'll have to pick up a copy at MACNA then. I've got a thread going in the Lounge right now, but if anyone wants to meet up, pm me your name and phone #. I think almost everyone in the Lounge that is going has already shared contact info.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 08/25/2007, 08:36 PM
angelfish nut!

Hey Jeffrey! We need to meet up... I studied in college in Bermuda at the Bermuda Biological Station for Research in St. George... many memories at the White Horse Tavern there where I enjoyed legally pubbing under the age of 21!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 08/25/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Another good read to look into! Will also have this add this to my bathroom collection.. haha Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10/03/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Anyone know were to get this? Is it out yet?