Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 07/07/2007, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

My First Zoo...

I just got my first Zoo this weekend and wanted to make sure I'm doing things right. I acclimated it for about 5 hours before it took the plunge into my tank.

I'm on day 2 now and it looks healthy, almost all the polyps are open every day, I guess some of them are newer and aren't quite ready to be open yet, but not many.

Anyhow, I've placed them on one of the higher points in the tank (about 8" under water) and a bit off to the side of my metal halide light.

How do I know if it's happy there? It could be placed more directly underneath if if it needs it. I know I've read about Zoo's "stretching" toward light, how do I recognize this?
Old 07/07/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

you don't have to acclimate zoos for 5 hrs. the recommended is 1 hr- 1.5 hrs. and you should start the zoas at the bottom of the tank and slowly place them higher in the tank especially with MH lighting so they don't get "burnt" good luck.
Old 07/07/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member.

All I do is temp. acclimate my zoos... take them out of the bag and let them sit around a little. Put them in the tank on the sand bed and thats it!

I figured if zoos are sometimes exposed to the air, why should it be an exception here? After all, some people ship out zoos in a moisten paper towel or even newspaper.
Old 07/07/2007, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Well how do I know if they're post toasties or whotnot? I'm assuming they're not getting burnt because they're at an angle from the lights and what I would think would be fairly deep for a zoo, but heck I don't know.

Whats the diff between a zoo and a pally anyway? I can't seem to find any information on the search engine. Pallys are short for what? I've heard they've got longer tentacles or whichever, is there a mouth shape difference? My Zoo's got dots for mouths, how come alot of the pics in the id forums have slits?

Need IMMMPUT!
Old 07/07/2007, 04:08 PM
OMAS VP

Dont forget to dip them before placeing them in your display tank.Theres nothing like getting zoa eating nudis.
Old 07/07/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Ditto that. Learning how to mix up and use iodine should be your first task. I thought there was a stickied thread in this forum on it... doesn't seem so anymore unless I'm just blind.

Searching found these, may be worth the read.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ght=iodine+dip
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ght=iodine+dip
Old 07/08/2007, 01:35 AM
Premium Member

Prolly a little late for a dip now but I'll know for the future. I did give my zoo's a really good inspection before I put them in. I found a small white serpent star hanging about underneath the frag, but found no other forms of fungus or anything that looked out of place.

If I do end up with a zoo eating nudi he won't last long as this is the first piece of coral ever in my tank. So I'm ok with that if worse comes to worse.

Things are still looking good, but no-ones answered about stretching.

Anything else you guys can fill me in on would be great! Thanks a bunch!
Old 07/08/2007, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

If they are reaching for light they will get longer then what they are now. Palys will have a rough stalk(like sand feeling) and zoas a smooth one.
Old 07/08/2007, 11:30 AM
Slowly Stocking

Also, Paly is short for Palythoa.

Check the red house.
Old 07/08/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drix
Prolly a little late for a dip now but I'll know for the future.
Nah, it's never too late. You can always dip them after they've been added to a tank if they're having problems later. For instance if you end up having zoa eating nudis you can fw (freshwater) dip just your zoa rocks and have a pretty good chance killing all of the nudibranches since that's where they'll likely hang out. Don't forget to look for egg sacs. And if they're ever not looking happy for a few days an iodine dip certainly won't hurt them.
Old 07/08/2007, 09:34 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

take some pics so that we see what they look like
Old 07/08/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

You guys are a fountain of useful information \o/

I'm still not quite clear on how to frag a zoo once I have a bunch. Can I just physically cut between the different zoo's on the mat and remove some and transplant or is there some special way to do it?

I dunno, it just seems to simple to me, I've gotta be missing something.

Next up, I've been looking at lots of zoo's to see what I have. Haven't found any match. My zoo isn't particularly anything bright and jumpy I'd say that they're copper around the outside with pink mouths and iradescant light green flecks going around the mouth like spokes on a wheel.

Anyhow, thats not as important as the next question: Are frags really worth like 10 bucks a polyp? I would assume RC has a frag trade forum someplace, right? Like, whats up?

[I]I edit this post: 300 bucks a polyp?

Last edited by Drix; 07/08/2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07/08/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Here is a great link for fragging zoas. This linked site also has an ID page if interested it is under the gallery.

http://www.zoaid.com/articles003.php

Edit: Here is a link to the tank raised livestock selling forum:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=98
Old 07/09/2007, 12:04 AM
I can spell you cant READ

iv seen them go for 300$to 500$ be for go to www.zoafrag.com and look at some of hi's zoo's and paly you will like them.
Old 07/11/2007, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Ok More questions

My Frag (which is on a standard I guess quarter sized stone plug) has roughly 45 polyps. It seems to me from observation that theres a bit of overcrowding possibly leading to "stretching" Well, either that or my light isn't strong enough.

Whats the usual polyp density per quarter sized area? Should I consider splitting this into 2 sections?
Old 07/11/2007, 01:17 AM
I can spell you cant READ

They will stretch if you don't have enough light put them up on a rock up high. They will start moveing when they start overcrowding on to a rock that the plug is on
Old 07/15/2007, 02:01 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..