Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

aquacultured rock

hey, i bought 20lbs of rock off ebay and its been in shipping for 9 days already. i brought it to the sellers attention and he said it would still be fine to put straight in the tank because it was aquacultured and not fiji rock. does anybody else think thats a bad idea or is it really different for aquacultured rock?

this is his message back to me

"You won't need to recure the rock. Keep in mind this is aquacultured rock and not Fiji rock. There isn't going to be things like sponges on the outside of the rock that will decay from being exposed to air. The rock itself only needs to stay moist in the core and the pods and fauna will be just fine.

The rock itself is shipped inside a heavy duty 3mil poly bag. This will keep the moisture trapped in. "
Old 11/15/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Lol.

You will have an ammonia spike for sure.

I had a small spike in Fully Cured Aqua cultured rock from Reefer Madness. Fully cycled in a week, and this stuff got to my house in 3 days. Very high quality rock from Reefer Madness though.

9 Days shipping, that rock is going to stink to high heaven when you open up that bag. If it does you know to either send it back or cure it yourself.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

The fact that its aquacultured means absolutely nothing. Its no different than any other live rock (besides in shape). Once rock is live, its live, and it CAN have die off, weather that be from bacteria or from pods and whatnot.

Normally, yes, the bag will keep it plenty moist. But 9 days shipping? Sheesh! I'd say you're probably gonna get some pretty uncured rock by the time you get it (if you ever do lol).

I mean i've transported rock from one house to another completely out of water with just a towel (not even wet towel lol) over it and it was fine, but that was only 8 hours tops.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:59 AM
Nothing to put here

I would not put it directly in the tank, but what the seller said is also correct, there will be less dieoff than ocean rock. But there will certianly be some after 9 days.
Old 11/15/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

anyone think anything different? / bump
Old 11/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by useskaforevil
anyone think anything different? / bump
Nope, if you put it straight in the tank you will have a spike.
Old 11/15/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I bought cured rock and it still had to cure

I've worked in a fish store and saw boxes sit in the back for weeks before they were put in the curing tank... i thought it was wrong but i wasn't the boss =(

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 11/15/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I you were purchasing as "cured live rock" I'd request a refund or re-shipment of fresh rock. You could refuse shipment. If he doesn't re-ship fresh cured rock in place of or give you a full refund, I'd file with paypal and get you $$$ pack (assuming paypal is how you paid). Regardless, 9 days is way too long shipped across the cont. US. UPS and FedEx ground should not take any longer than 7 days tops. and it will spike your tank. If you have nothing in your tank and were planning to cycle w/ the intro of this rock, then you should be ok. Get your nose plugs out. I've had corals shipped 2 day air that died in transit and putrified. Opening a putrified bag of once live rock or corals is not for the faint of heart!

Brent