Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2006, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Very, Very impressive Pete.

Rod.
Old 09/13/2006, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

NICE Pete! Thanks for the link from e-mail.

I was wondering the same on that fish. I don't think I've ever seen them at a LFS in San Antonio.

I still want to see that system live some time...just need a work reason to head out there!

Todd
Old 09/13/2006, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

how do you think the cistern is doing? would you do anything different?
Old 09/13/2006, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

I like the extra ballast water the cistern provides. Water chemistry and salinity are much more stable.

Example: I lose about 50 gallons of water to evaporation every 4 days during the summer so you can see that instead of a 10% increase in salinity I only notice about a 5% difference over that time before a top-off.

If I was doing a brand new project with a new slab (we dug up the slab under the tank but the rest of the building had a slab already). I would add a HUGE cistern (as big as I could find).

Something on the order of 2000 to 3000 gallons plus. I would use two of them and one would be for water changes only. Think about it: One could stock a 500 gallon display at densities beyond belief and in many ways you still would be far understocked given the water volume. (keeping in mind that it isn't quite that simple since a 2000 gallon tank would have different surface area and oxygen exchange than an underground cistern).

The concept is not my Idea but Lam Ngyuen's; He is the person that gave me the idea.

If we are talking about the same space I have right now then the main thing I would change would be to add 2 more smaller underground tanks for RO water and water changes. I had thought about this but we were pressed for time and I couldn't figure out the details quick enough to add it on during construction.

As it is set-up right now I can mix water in the cistern but it's not as convienient as a seperate tank would be and I don't like taking the cistern "off line" i.e. out of circulation with the main system although it is plumbed to do easily do so.

Mixing water in the cistern exposes the sponges, tube worms and other cryptic fauna to extreme conditions so it is definately not ideal.

The cistern does provide some cooling due to contact with the ground but it is not would have been nice to add some geothermal loops. with a submersible water pump in the cistern to circulate the water.

i.e. a series of hairpin turns of pvc pipe that would radiate out from the cistern and circulate water through them.

The problem is that this sort of system could end up becoming plugged with sponge growth or other creatures that could concievable end up in the cistern one way or another.

Overall I am glad to have the cistern. (but I havn't had to replace a foot check valve yet so when that time arrives I suspect I won't be too happy)
Old 09/13/2006, 06:37 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Thanks for the update Pete!
I was wondering how that cooling setup we drew up way back in the beginning worked out. That was a fun one
Beautiful setup!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/13/2006, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

I tried to edit the long winded post but it was too late.

What I meant to say was: The cistern certainly does keep the water temp down but it isn't as dramatic as I had hoped.

H20ENG, I ended up leaving the actuated ball valves off because it was taking way too much time to get it plumbed.

In the end it worked out just fine without the actuated valves.

Do you know anyone who needs any Hayward 3 way actuated valves. 1.5"?

I have been meaning to list them.
Old 09/13/2006, 06:54 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I think the turbulent flow really is a neccesity in heat exchange, and one of the reasons you get more cooling with a loop than simply a buried vat. Hopefully yours keeps up enough that it is not a problem.

With 2- 3 way valves you could make an alternating closed loop- One side of the tank would draw water and return on the other, then switch the valves and the water flows the opposite way

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/13/2006, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Herpervet
I'm building a 560 as well 120x36x30 with a 240 refuge and a 1050 cistern so may need the valve please send me a link to which one it is and a price.
Old 09/14/2006, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

A question about the cystern. I presume that there is very minimal flow in there. As such it will tend to be a detritus trap. Do you have any plans to vacuum out the bottom during water changes with any regularity?

EDIT - I don't recall if you said there was a prefilter before the cystern. If so that would greatly reduce any POM that would potentially make it into the cystern.
I don't mean to bash the idea. I think you did an awsome job planning the system but like any system there will be minor flaws. Even the ocean ins a work in progress.
Old 09/14/2006, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WetSleeves
A question about the cystern. I presume that there is very minimal flow in there. As such it will tend to be a detritus trap. Do you have any plans to vacuum out the bottom during water changes with any regularity?

EDIT - I don't recall if you said there was a prefilter before the cystern. If so that would greatly reduce any POM that would potentially make it into the cystern.
I don't mean to bash the idea. I think you did an awsome job planning the system but like any system there will be minor flaws. Even the ocean ins a work in progress.

I had two nylon filter socks before the cistern I have 5 of these that I rotate some are 100micron and some are 200 I believe.

Aquatic ecosystems sells them and they are a very nice large size.

One filters the water that enters the stock tank and then that water goes to the cistern and passes through the second filter sock.

Recently I took off the second sock because it never had much of anything in it. The first one does the job pretty well.
Old 04/10/2007, 02:48 PM
Insane Reefer

Hmmm Pete, seems you're lacking on the updates; no fear I have the shots from last month. Anyone interested, here are some photos from March 07.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04/10/2007, 02:50 PM
Insane Reefer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04/10/2007, 02:52 PM
Insane Reefer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04/10/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Nice shots. Nice tank!
Old 04/11/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

WOW!
Old 04/11/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for posting the pic's Ed. The monster skimmer should be in next week so you will have to come over and shoot some pics of the beast.
Old 04/12/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Green with envy. Very nicely done. Look forward to seeing the mechanical guts of the operation. The tank looks fantastic. Guess your well past the advice stage now so hope you'll keep posting.
Old 04/13/2007, 02:10 AM
g0t fIsH

how big is that yellow leather, looks like size of a football
(red house for 600gal)
Old 04/13/2007, 02:21 AM
Premium Member

Actually its much bigger than that. I would say it's between 18 and 22" long by 8 to 10 inches wide.

I recently acquired it from SMILLER as he is moving to Mexico and had to break down his tank.

You can see the same specimen several years back when his tank was TOTM here on Reefcentral.
Old 04/13/2007, 07:35 AM
Insane Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
how big is that yellow leather, looks like size of a football
In that first picture I posted for Pete, you'll notice a snail on the right side; as with everything in Pete's tank it's huge, pretty close to the size of a racquetball and definitely bigger than a golf ball. I hope that gives you a better size perspective.
Old 04/13/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I must ask what are these fishs and where did you get them? Their really cool looking

Old 04/13/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XMASTER
I must ask what are these fishs and where did you get them? Their really cool looking

Red spot cardinals in the trade. Ask your LFS to order them from Sea Dwelling Creatures. Notice one of the males in the pic is brooding eggs.

They spawned a few times within the first 3 or 4 months I had them but seem to have slowed down since.
Old 04/14/2007, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

BTW: Red Spot Cardinals: Apogon parvulus. I couldn't recall that last night for some reason so I looked it up.
Old 04/14/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks alot men I try and see if my local fish store can order me some You have an awesome tank keep up the great work and have an Awesome weekend
Old 04/17/2007, 06:17 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by EdKruzel

For some reason that looks familiar.

Looking good, Pete!

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."