Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Cutting large diameter acrylic tube

After speaking with James (Acrylics) I built a jig similar to this one:

From my understanding, I'm to set the tube right above the blade where I would like to cut and then slowly raise the blade until it makes a slice in the tube, then spin the tube until it is completely cut. Am I correct in this assumption?

I tested it on a piece of 6" scrap tube and the edges are still horribly uneven.

Is there something I am missing or some other way of cutting the tube and getting nice even edges?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01/07/2008, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Is the end that you are resting against the stop block square to the tube?
Old 01/07/2008, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Neither end of the tube is square.... which is why I'm having such a horrible time trying to get it even...
Old 01/07/2008, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

OK take the above jig and make your stop larger then the tube so the tube is always in contact on the highest part. When you set the stop make sure it is square and firm to the jig. Ideally you want it to follow the highest point on the opposite end and if the stop is square it will not move up and down like if it was on a smaller one. The above stop is short so when the high point gets above the stop it will move the pipe towards the stop and will telegraph on the cut.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Think of it as though your stops form two of the eight sides of a closed box that the tube can slide into. By having your stop on the left, and back of the tube be slightly lager than the tube's diameter, the uneven edge will simply ride on the left stop evenly, and the back stop supports it though the rotation. Dunno if that helps any more.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:03 PM
Can't be listed on **

You will not be able to get a perfect edge from this setup no mater what you do. But to start as Cannarella says your stop on the end has to contact the whole end of the tube and needs to be square to the TS table, so that the longest part of the tube is against the stop at all times. Then to get the tube ready to glue, use the same sort of a jig on your router table to give a nice glueing edge.

Kim
Old 01/08/2008, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

have you tried leveling off one end by hand? after cutting large PVC pipes I use a surform plane to clean up the ends.

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 01/08/2008, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

link:

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-stanle...i-1290115.html

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 01/08/2008, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Matt, How do you mean the edges are "uneven"? Is it possible the jig isn't perpendicular to the saw blade?

I've cut 4" PVC using only my table saw miter guage, no jig necessary, it's fairly easy to spin the pipe in place to get a square cut this way. You'll have to add a 3/4" plywood fence to the guage to make the face longer if you just have the aluminum guage.
I've also used a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw with as good or better results.
Either way cut shallow and spin the pipe as you make the cut.

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English.