Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Aquarium and Coral Reef Organization of Sarasota (Acros)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2005, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Talking DIY Live rock party pics !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all,

Well, the Febuary meeting of ACROS Reef Club was a great sucess! I have over 120 pounds of DIY live rock curing in my garage. We had some intresting designs and great ideas shared. Here are some pics. Check out my photo gallery to see them all.

This is my rug rat, Tristan.

Brian's grapefruit!

Great meeting and i can't wait to see what these rocks are going to look like.

Thanks to all that came and made this possible. I had a great time and will babysit the rocks well.

Hey Scott, we made you some cookies!!!

Any questions feel free to give me a call or drop a PM.

Thanks again,

Nathan
Old 02/21/2005, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanks much for sacrificing your garage and the meatball subs!

Wish there was a pic of Rocky perched on top of the mixing bucket

Fingers crossed that my porous rock doesn't turn into coralline colored gravel,
Henry
Old 02/21/2005, 01:30 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Hey it looks like you all had a great meeting. Sorry we missed. Tank got moved successfully without to many problems...Transfered every bit of water and inhabitats...Everything looks pretty good so far....
Old 02/21/2005, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Scott,
Glad the move went ok :thumbs:

Nathan,
Thanks for hosting a great meeting, and the meatballs where awesome I had a blast. Looks like you and brian stayed there making rocks for a while after we all left too

Tristan is a trip! You have a great family bro!
Old 02/21/2005, 07:12 PM
RC Mod

Thanks for hosting Nathan !! It was great to see how it was done and get some hands on experience.

Agu
Old 02/22/2005, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

You all are very welcome and i feel very blessed to have the pleasure of hosting. Yes, Brian and i worked for another hour and made a bunch of rock. Its going to be fun to see how they turn out.

I'm glad to hear that everyting went smooth for you Scott. give a yell if you need any help in the future.

Nathan
Old 02/22/2005, 11:27 PM
Moved On

Those are cool pics of the meeting.

Thanks again Nathan. It was great to meet every one. It was a blast.

Tell me if this is a crazy idea or not. Instead of... or after curing the rocks in nathans garage....
Would it be possible to net the rocks and drop them near the local reefs with a float to mark them for a month or so? When they got pulled up they would be Live Rock with critters and all. Does any one have a boat?

By the way, how do we know that the Live Rock we have all been buying at LFS for years wasnt created the way we made ours on Sunday? Tonga would be hard to replicate but not the other types.

Like I said... just some crazy ideas. (actually, Henry planted the idea of hanging them in a lagoon.) Does any one want to try? Maybe this is a bad time considering the local conditions at the beach.

Dave
Old 02/23/2005, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Tell me if this is a crazy idea or not. Instead of... or after curing the rocks in nathans garage....
Would it be possible to net the rocks and drop them near the local reefs with a float to mark them for a month or so? When they got pulled up they would be Live Rock with critters and all. Does any one have a boat?
Wahwoo. The techincal answeer to your question is that it would take a minimum of 2 permits and possibley 5 permits to do it legally! With the red tide situation I wouldn't want to chance it right now anyway, but yes it would produce some interesting and most likely benificial results if suspended in clean water in the Gulf.

Nathen thanks for hosting the meeting , had a great time. Hopefully that 3 legged table top we made for your tank holds together when you decide to move it. Very likely one if not both of the arches I made will break, they were pretty porous and loosely put together but even if they break partial arches work great in a reef tank. The longer the table top and the arches can be left untouched the better but you may wnat to get your gargae back at some time. Again thanks for loaning us the use of your garage!
Old 02/23/2005, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Hey Brian,

You are very welcome! I am in no hurry to get the rocks out of the way. I am going to put the cookies in the tank when i get off from work tonight. I will let the bigger rocks cure a little longer.

Dave,

I have a boat. It was sitting on the side of my house. I thought about the idea of dropping them in the gulf but the FWC might not like that. I don't really understand why, but they are getting strict around here. I get stopped almost every time i go out. Plus, all the bad things that we could get.

Nathan
Old 02/23/2005, 04:59 PM
DIYer

What did u guys use for the dye?
Old 02/23/2005, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sandman12
What did u guys use for the dye?
Standard concrete red dye @ HD in the concrete section.

Nathan did you test one of the cookies yet to see if the concrete is still brittle?
Old 02/24/2005, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Nathan did you test one of the cookies yet to see if the concrete is still brittle? [/B]

Umm... Yes. I dropped one on accident. It held together. That was on tuesday. I think that the cookies are ready to go in the tank. But, I will wait a little longer on the bigger pieces. Things are turning out great.

Nathan
Old 02/24/2005, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a good time ...Good to see pics in someones tank later
Old 02/25/2005, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

OK!!! All of the rocks are in the tank. We have a lot of really cool rocks. We have tons of cookies. Only a few didn't hold together. Most of them were Brian's. It must have been the grapefruit . Here are a few pics of some of them.

Brian and I made this table

Rocky's Rock ROCKS!!!

Colin wins my favorite rock

I can't wait to see the pic of them in our tanks

Nathan
Old 03/04/2005, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

SWEET! You totally RAWK!...hehe didnt want to use the word "Rock" any more :P

I REALLY like the outcome of this party. Love the shelf you and brian did! Man why didnt you guys do that in red? Remember our imagination does NOT have to stop here....has anyone thought of taking the rocks and attaching them to other rocks they made to make one bigger rock?