Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 06/30/2005, 08:12 PM
Team RC Member

Imac 2005

If I started typing with regards to all that transpired last weekend, I would have to type several pages. I will condense it and say it was very informative, enriching, thought provoking, fun, great speakers and presentations, a great selection of corals for sale, lots of vendors, a huge raffle, made some great deals, met up with some old friends on line and made some new ones. The reception was great, the networking was priceless, made some great connections, learned some new things, shared some things, met the authors and enjoyed a great meal and speaker at the banquet. If you weren't there, you missed a great time.

My hat's off to Mr. Dennis Gallagher for a great job once again. Mr. and Mrs. Gallagher are two of the nicest people on earth. I only wish there was some way that we can do something for him next year as a small token of love and appreciation. Thanks again to both of you for your time, dilligence and dedication.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting Nagel, one of the mods here in the Zooanthid forum. I already knew what to expect knowing just how much he went to great lenghts to help me with the Sea Grass Wrasse ID several months ago. I can honestly say that he is a real cool cat to chat with. I also met his lovely wife as we spoke at lenght about reef stuff. It was great to put a face with a name. Nagel is a resource that you guys should utilize. He is a very intelligent guy who has a lot to offer this hobby. It was indeed a pleasure once again to meet you man and keep up the good work.

I also met my buddy SKIPPER. He was very instrumental several years ago with helping me out with something here on RC. Just a down to earth guy who is super nice as well. I felt like we were long time friends who hadn't seen each other in years. I missed him last year at IMAC and I made it a point to find him this year. Both of these gentlemen are the epitome of class and integrity, and I'm happy to have finally met you both in person.

I saw Doug again and as always he was very helpful and wearing his million dollar smile.

JCIGAR, man I am waiting on that steak, it's been two long years, LOL. You know what I'm talking about, LOL. I'll be in town again at the end of July. I hope all is well with the Mrs., Good Bless.

I met Dan at Sharky's Reef, Eric from Frag Farmers and my buddy Anthony from Aquadesigz, these guys were super nice and very down to earth as well. All of these guys are a class act.

Hung out with my friends over at Frag Exchange and Michigan Reefers and we had a ball laughing and talking all weekend. You guys did an excellant job as well.

I've said it before, reefers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I have forged countless friendships as a results of this hobby and all have made me feel welcomed.

My hats off to all of the RC staff and members for their part in making the conference a success once again.

If you missed IMAC 2005, I would plan now to attend IMAC 2006. The price is very economical and you won't foget the experience. I lived in Chicago for a short time and I can tell you this, there is so much to do, I promise you will want to visit again real soon. There are countless museums, exhibits, festivals, galleries, fine dinning etc. OK, I did it again, so I'd better shut up now.

Mucho

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06/30/2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07/01/2005, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

i agree, big hats off to dennis and his wife.

i saw you checking out the zoanthids at sharkys, what did you end up getting? i picked up a small zoa frag, he had some nice colors.
Old 07/01/2005, 04:59 AM
troublemaker

He did have some nice stuff.

Sadly, I just spied Mucho during the middle of Anthony's brain-fragging demo ... across a whole group of people. Then I got grabbed by other great people ... and missed out meeting the zoanthid guru. Until next time, that is

[no name tag, just came for afternoon and wasn't registered - last year I was, next year I will be]

But like was said - I too had a good time. Nice stuff, and far more than that - great people. Only hope to add the illustrious Mucho Reef to the list of new friends next year.

[Next time I want more than an afternoon down there ... but a valuable afternoon it was!]
Old 07/01/2005, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Arrow IMAC 2005

Thanks for your nice comments MuchoReef. Remarks like yours make the whole thing (IMAC) worth all the work. IMAC's purpose is to provide an educational and social experience for hobbyists at a reasonable cost.

Next year IMAC will be on May 27, 28 and 29. Since this includes Memorial Day we will include many activities for spouses and families, like trips to Six Flags Great America Amusement Park, the Field Museum, the Chicago Art Institute, the Museum of Science and Industry, shopping on Chicago's Magnificent mile, cruises on Lake Michigan, etc., so you can make it a vacation event for the whole family. And IMAC itself will be on Saturday, Sunday and Monday so, even if you can't get much time off from work you can still attend.

We already have favorites like Martin Moe, Anthony Calfo, Eric Borneman, Sanjay Joshi,, Bob Fenner and Dr. Ron Shimek lined up as speakers, and we will double the size of the Exhibition Hall. It will take a couple of weeks to re-work the website but you can already sign up on www.theimac.org for next year for just $95.

It was great seeing all of you.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 07/01/2005, 02:33 PM
Team RC Member

spencerx15, LOL, I went there to also meet some of the people here on RC, and you didn't even say hi? LOL, come on man, I won't bite you, LOL. I picked up 4 sweet sweet zoo colonies from Dan. He is a super nice guy and very down to earth. Next year, punch me in the arm and at least say hello my fellow reefer, OK?

MiddletonMark, I don't believe this, you too. What am I the Hunch-back-of-Chicago. Man we have talked for years, LOL. "illustrious", man stop that, LOL. Now I'm trying to think what I did do to scare people off. I need to take a long look in the mirror, LOL. Well, maybe next year I'll get to pick your brains a little. Take care man.

Mr. Gallagher, there's no need to thank me, you deserve so much more for a excellant job well done. Hope to see you again next year my friend. Thank you again.

Mucho
Old 07/02/2005, 10:02 PM
Team RC Member

Forgot to mention that I met TREEMAN, another super nice guy who hangs around this forum as well. My apologies my friend.

Mooch
Old 07/03/2005, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

As much as I Love the IMAC, I was only able to attend as a guest for 1 day this year. I wish it didnt come upon us just as the weather is getting nice. Some people arent into their tanks as much when the weather is nice. I am afraid that memorial day weekend will make it more difficult for some of us to get away from our families and spouses (some of them dont share the love for the hobby with us). I wish the IMAC were scheduled for Oct/Nov. I bet it would draw a larger crowd.

I HOPE to see some of you next year.
Old 07/03/2005, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

IMAC & Memorial Day

Hi Rod;

I also wish you could have stayed longer at IMAC. We schedule it for late Spring so as not to conflict with MACNA.

Having it over Memorial Day next year is a gamble. We are including a lot of spouse/family activities so maybe more people will make it into a family vacation. And having IMAC that weekend, no one should have the excuse that they can't get time off from work.

Also, there are a bunch of conferences and events going on in Europe, etc., that it is hard to find dates that don't conflict with something.

Cheers,
Dennis