Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

OT-- Mac VS PC

The time has come for us to buy a new computer. I know there are alot of computer people on here so I figured I would turn here for some advice. We are going to be using the computer as a family computer for surfing the net, digital pictures, stuff like that. Normal computer use stuff I guess. We are either looking at the Apple Imac 20" or the Dell XPS All-In-One. I know that Windows Vista has had alot of problems, and I dont really want to deal with that kind of stuff with a new computer. So let the opinions roll in. I want to hear the good and the bad. Thanks.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

mac... end of story
Old 01/01/2008, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to include that I have been using a PC for about 20 years now. Is it going to be a rough transition between the Mac and PC?
Old 01/01/2008, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Mac is very different very different than the PC. I have both in my office, since some of my customers files will be on Mac and some will be on the PC. I do all of my emailing and email checking on the Mac since there are no real viruses for them. When surfing the net you will notice that you don't close the windows in the same location. Macs are in the upper left corner, not the right like the PC. The Mac will most likely have a one button mouse and you have to hold down control to get the "right click" features you are used to on the PC. You will be using the "Apple" key or the "Command" key instead of the control key if you like to use the keyboard short cuts. The stock browser for the Mac is Safari, I love and hate that browser. If I go to a page that does not use the "Default" font for the page I get broken and messed up characters. I have Firefox on the Mac as well for when this happens. I have to say my Mac seldom if ever crashes on me and I leave it on all the time. Editing video is a snap with the basic software the Mac comes with. If you have an Ipod or an Iphone the Mac is great for them.

Lots more im sure, if you think of anything feel free to ask. I went to school and learned on a Mac before I learned anything on the PC. But as time went by I moved to a PC for most of my work, but do have both at the moment.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:33 PM
Set it up

I don't think it will be a rough transition. But it may take a couple of weeks to realize how easy it is. I purchased the 20" Imac also and am very pleased with it.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

the transition to a ,mac is simple, only thiing that is different is the file system the mac uses, but the average user wont notice that. i mean widows pretty much copied alot of mac stuff
Old 01/01/2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Windows has tried for years to copy that, they still haven't hit the mark I would say. I found the hardest thing to get used to was the different keys that were needed for things. I literally slide from one machine to the next, so I get the keys all messed up

I totally agree, if you know how to use a computer (PC) you will find it super easy to use a Mac. The old term "user friendly" totally applies to the Macs. I was just trying to point out some of the differences you will notice right off...
Old 01/01/2008, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

ive had a mac for a year, ZERO problems. had a pc for ten years.......... ugh too many problems to list. i think if you have to reinstall an OS as much as i had to, it is not a good system
Old 01/01/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

go mac! I had been a pc guy for years, but made the switch 3 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I am also in charge of the computers at work and have switch all the machines 5 in all to mac. everyone love the change, most say it took about a week for the learning curve.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: OT-- Mac VS PC

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyleighsdaddy
I know that Windows Vista has had alot of problems
This is a really nasty (not to mention untrue) rumor that seems to get recycled every time Microsoft releases a new OS.

The simple fact is that I run Vista on literally every machine I own (4). One of my roommates also runs it on his two computers, and my other roommate runs it on her laptop. We all love it.

Where this perception of Vista being defective is just the same group of users that are "LOL MAC 4 LYFFFEE!!", "LOLZ M$ SUCKS! USE LUNIX!" or "LOLZ ANY OPERATING SYSTEM OTHER THAN (previous Microsoft Operating system release) IS TERRIBLE AND SLOW!"

I've been dealing with this garbage ever since Windows 95 came out. When Win95 came out it was supposedly buggy and slow, they said to continue using DOS/Win3.1. When 98, they said it was buggy and slow and to continue using 95. When 2000 came out, they said it was buggy and slow. Continue using 98. When ME came out, they said it sucked (and, to their credit, it did). When XP came out, they said it was buggy and slow. Continue using 2000. It's the same old thing over and over again.

I think a lot of the issue is with a psychological bond to the status quo (they don't want to have to deal with the fact that they might have to change to something new, as opposed to something comfortable and known), or the perception of slowness comes from the fact that we forget that when XP came out, we were running on 1GHz machines, and now we're running on the processing equivelent of 4GHz or higher. So when XP came out, it was running "slowly", but now we're running on machines that are 4 times faster than they were, so that perception of "slowness" has gone away. New operating systems with better looking interfaces and more features drive the hardware industry forward. In turn, new PC's sold pays for the new release of the operating system. It's a neverending cycle - you might not like it, but that's life.

In addition, EVERY operating system that is released, has bugs. They get ironed out over time. Even Apple, who have a reputation for releasing "perfect" operating systems had its share of bugs with their latest release: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osx_leopard#Criticisms

The bottom line is that if you want a Mac, go get a Mac. They're great computers, they look nice, and they have a nice little "niche" to go along with them. You'll pay a lot more for one, but that might be worth it to you. But don't let a small vocal group of people screaming about how Vista is a wreck (when it's definitely not. Chances are, they don't even own a copy) stop you from buying a PC.

And before I get labeled as a person who has something against Macs, they are actually on my shortlist of things to buy. I really want one, and almost bought one when I bought my laptop - I just had a hard time justifying $1200 for a 13" Macbook when I bought my Gateway with equal specs for literally half that.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

psimitry -- Yep very true Win95 but the hex on windows and the stigma has never left. I have Vista on two machines, 1 work and one game I have zero problems with them. And you do pay a lot more for the Mac, for sure! Pros and Cons in both directions, I say get both!
Old 01/01/2008, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I would like to know that I am spending my hard earned money on a machine that I am going to be happy with. The dell as mentioned above is about 50 bucks less after I add the additional gig of memory to make both computers comparable. I dont really think its about the money, I just want a good system. And I have heard from both mac and pc users. I just figured I would throw it out there for everybody.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I work full-time in computers & also own my own computer company. We service both. I love Macs more, but M$ pays the bills. The reason I personally use PC as much as I do is for the ease of software compatibility. While Mac software is great, it is more limited as to what is available.

Vista, while pretty, has indeed been rough on all of my customers that were early adopters. Most of their issues are slowly being resolved, but I don't think it is unfair to say Vista was released prematurely. I still don't reccomend it.

I own both, I use both, both work. It is really a personal choice based for me on what software you "must have".

;-)
Old 01/01/2008, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice. I would like to know that I am spending my hard earned money on a machine that I am going to be happy with. The dell as mentioned above is about 50 bucks less after I add the additional gig of memory to make both computers comparable. I dont really think its about the money, I just want a good system. And I have heard from both mac and pc users. I just figured I would throw it out there for everybody.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right or not. But DO NOT run vista on less than 2GB of memory.

You will hate it. And to be fair, I have run into a few people who have Vista that hated it until they upgraded to 2GB and now their problems seem to be over.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

the truth is window$$$ sucks, that is why it is only used on personal computers, the mahority of major companeys use unix or linux bsed systems as their server mainframes
Old 01/01/2008, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

I guess I wasnt very clear on what I meant. The mac comes with 1gb and its 150 bucks more to add 1 more gb. The dell comes with 2 i believe. So after paying the 150 bucks for the extra gb, both computers are of comparable tech stats.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

If you are looking for a computer that everyone in the house will be able to sit down and use. Have pretty much no worries that each time its turned on and you want to use it, it will be there. Then get the Mac, I have turned my work PC off at 10pm at night, got up at 6am and turned it back on and some how it loses Windows, this has happened a few times. So from the sounds of it, if you are willing to "Try" something new, then get the Mac. They hold their value as well and if you buy it and don't like it you could always sell it and get most of your money back, more than you can say about a Dell.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

There is going to be a fight here, i can feel it. You just need to go to the apple store and use one and see if you like it. I have a mac i switched about 3 years ago. The new imacs are sweet. Dont upgrade the ram through the apple store because you will pay more than you would getting it somewhere else and installing it yourself, which is a piece of cake on the new imacs. If you really want to have windows, you can use parallels and run that on your mac. i recommend a mac, buts that just my two cents.
<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
Old 01/01/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

screw parralels, i duAL boot my mac book in leopard for personal use, and linux for my job
Old 01/01/2008, 06:25 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

For the home user you gotta love the iMac. So easy - and never the problems I continually have on PC. You really can't beat their customer service and the support. I got the wireless keyboard and mouse for a small upgrade charge and its amazing the power I have all built into the screen. No wires anywhere.

Spend some time at the Apple store in Gilbert. They are extremely friendly and there to help.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:38 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by a&cbowman
There is going to be a fight here, i can feel it.

I get that feeling, too. Let's prevent it before it starts, and the thread stays open.
Read this, and carry on, with caution.

[flamealert]

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 01/01/2008, 07:04 PM
My Boys

Go Mac I have 4 of them in my house. for the first time I called mac yesterday. becouse of my stupid error I called mac. easy to call easy to deal with. wish buying a car and car repair was that easy. One of my mac has never been registered. apple quickly saw that and said that since I have never used thier support they would give me my warenty even thou the computer is a few years old. I love thier tech support. wish everyone was so easy to deal with. I think you will love mac. I know I do. my kids love mac too. and no viruses. GOT TO LOVE MAC.
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Get the Mac, you won't regret it. Apple has done a spectacular job of development of OS X over the past few years. It's a more stable and secure OS and really easy to use. You'll want to navigate differently then in Windows. Minimizing windows slows you down so it's better to switch apps with Command-Tab, and using the F9 and F11 commands to see all windows or access the desktop - I map these two to the 3rd and 4th buttons on my Mighty Mouse (I think that Apple now ships Macs with the multi-button Mighty Mouse over the single button mouse). With the new Leopard OS you can also create separate desktops for different apps with Spaces.

With the Mac you'll have the option of doing a dual-boot to Windows if you absolutely need to run a Windows-only program. But that probably won't happen unless you do a lot of 3D work or play lots of PC games.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it going to be a rough transition between the Mac and PC?
Go Mac and youll never look back... Its an easy transition....
Old 01/01/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for everybodys advice and opinions. I am going to go spend some time at the apple store and do some hands on researching of my own. I already know how the pc is, so hopefully the mac makes a good impression. Sorry to cause the mod to pop his head in. I was just looking for opinions. and thats what I got. Thanks again.