Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2007, 12:14 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by reefinsocal
???
*cough* frag em?
Old 06/18/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm007h
*cough* frag em?
Then if this were the case, wouldn't you sell a SPS colony by the inch, rather than by the piece?? You can't sell stuff on it's fragging ability. The sign said, $20 per head
Old 06/18/2007, 12:31 PM
Moved On

if what was the case?
that was then, this is now
quit living in the past
what are you waiting for?
get the skissors

BTW, AFAIK, people do price their SPS according to branches...but yeah this isn't an argument about that...I just wondered because well I guess you could have had more than 3 rics by now.
Old 06/18/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

In aquaculture of food fishes, i.e trout, tilapia, and salmon, they have these automatic feeders that are basically weedwackers inside a bell with a light inside. They place these above the tanks and at night the fish get a huge feast of bugs that get slapped into the tanks. Doesn't hurt the fish.
Old 06/18/2007, 01:06 PM
Mooooooo!!!!

Let’s back this one up a bit . . .

In nature, many fish that live in costal waters include insects as part of their diet. There are, in fact, a few hundred species of insects that have evolved adaptations to a marine environment. This includes 5 species of ‘sea skaters’ that live on the open ocean. Where there are bugs, there is something that eats bugs and in costal waters this means fish.

Puffers are a near-shore to shallow water species that live all over the world. Their tolerance to salinity changes even finds them in brackish waters, with some even capable of living entirely in freshwater. This means that puffers will be found in areas where aquatic and non-aquatic insects are present with plenty of opportunity for puffers to eat insects.

Now insects have exoskeletons, the same way shrimp and lobsters do. In fact, these exoskeletons are made out of the same substance - chitin. A species of fish that includes crustaceans in their diet, which puffers do, will be able to facilitate either the digestion or expulsion of chitin from their digestive tract.

What I take from the information above is that a puffer is not only equipped to eat insects, but likely includes them as part of their diet. It may be a small meal when compared to finding a nice crab to munch on but in the wilds survivors are rarely picky about their diet. So the LFS may not be entirely out of place feeding a puffer the occasional cricket or cockroach, provided the insect used for food comes from a clean source of food. If that roach was picked up off the floor after recently consuming pesticide, you just poisoned a $300 fish.

Please keep in mind that I said OCCASIONAL, not as a complete diet. It should be the goal for all of us as responsible reef keepers to provide our captive animals with as much variety as possible. In the case of a puffer: shrimp, squid, worms, clams, and small fish. Even then, supplementation with vitamin soaks or the addition of garlic is an accepted, if not encouraged, practice. (Keeping in mind that no marine fish ever finds garlic in nature)
Old 06/18/2007, 01:09 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Corriander
(Keeping in mind that no marine fish ever finds garlic in nature)
I wouldn't be too sure with n8rad runnig amok!
Old 06/18/2007, 01:14 PM

On the other hand, a quick Google search:

Quote:
100 grams of cricket contains: 121 calories, 12.9 grams of protein, 5.5 g. of fat, 5.1 g. of carbohydrates, 75.8 mg. calcium, 185.3 mg. of phosphorous, 9.5 mg. of iron, 0.36 mg. of thiamin, 1.09 mg. of riboflavin, and 3.10 mg. of niacin.
Honestly, I'm getting tired of eating egg whites and protein shakes for bodybuilding supplements. Now I'm seriously considering crickets as a natural and cheap protein alternative. what do you guys think?

Crickets + Creatine = BULK
Old 06/18/2007, 01:18 PM
Mooooooo!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JownsenJesus
In aquaculture of food fishes, i.e trout, tilapia, and salmon, they have these automatic feeders that are basically weedwackers inside a bell with a light inside. They place these above the tanks and at night the fish get a huge feast of bugs that get slapped into the tanks. Doesn't hurt the fish.
In the wild, the natural food source for those fish ARE insects.

If you know anyone who fly fishes and ties their own flies, they go to great lengths to imitate the appearance of mayflies, midges, etc. Often an angler will cut open the stomach of their first catch and see what it has been eating so they can change their lure to match.
Old 06/18/2007, 01:19 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Quote:
Honestly, I'm getting tired of eating egg whites and protein shakes for bodybuilding supplements. Now I'm seriously considering crickets as a natural and cheap protein alternative. what do you guys think?

well, you wouldn't be the first, my friend. you can find them served fried if you know where to go look for them.
Old 06/18/2007, 01:23 PM
Mooooooo!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
On the other hand, a quick Google search:

Go to Thailand . . . you can buy insects on a stick from a street cart.
Old 06/18/2007, 05:48 PM
Where'd my check go?!

Quote:
Originally posted by FOSELONE
a scissorhands...maybe we could start a business...ive been breading roaches for years...lmk
LOL. We "breed" roaches in long beach too... LOL

-TJ
Old 06/18/2007, 10:23 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

er....

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffersonReef
LOL. We "breed" roaches in long beach too... LOL
I don't sleep with them like you guys though. Heh.
Old 06/18/2007, 10:34 PM
The Original Chingy

Aside from the whole roaches being a part of fish diet or not, remember these aren't purebred roaches raised on a natural diet. You know as well as I do what urban roaches eat, poisonous or not.

Just my .02
Old 06/19/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

I'm lmao on this thread! I am sure you can get some fired crickets in TJ! I "smell" a group buy...lol.