Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Pump question? too strong..help!!

Ok so I finally setup my new tank, 190 gal RR and I'm having trouble balancing out the pump I got... I got a pump that is returning just a bit more than my overflow can take.. and I'm trying to put a durso pipe mod to silence the overflow sounds cuz it's LOUD!! wut can I do to reduce the flow from the pump? suggestions?
Old 06/14/2007, 01:37 PM
It's Domo-kun

Put a valve on the output end of the pump and adjust it appropriately.
Old 06/14/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

what kind of pump do you have how big is your drain and how big returns
Old 06/14/2007, 01:48 PM
It's all about ME!

All good questions.
We can all help, but we need more info.
Thx
Old 06/14/2007, 02:50 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by DRC69
All good questions.
We can all help, but we need more info.
Thx

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/14/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

you can make over loop option, this will help some as well and + for circulation in tank
Old 06/14/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I’m not trying to hijack your post. Your set up may similar to my 190g. I have Dolphin 3000 for the returns but it’s too strong. I reduce the flow by valves on the pipes to the tank. I also have 2-T water outputs with valves, 1 for water change and 1 may use for either 36w UV sterilizer or AquaC EV-240 skimmer. The skimmer is current running with Mag18, but unhappy cuz noisy pump. Does anyone have experience with one big pump for both return AND skimmer? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by anthias_lover; 06/14/2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06/14/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

I have a pan world 200 1780gph, I have 2 returns 1/2" and drain is 1" thank you for all the help guys
Old 06/14/2007, 06:23 PM
It's Domo-kun

I don't really see what you can do besides adding a bigger or another drain, or putting a valve/tee on your return pump.

The simplest thing to do is get a ball valve (with appropriate connections) and attach it after your pump. Adjust the valve so that the flow rates are equal. Not sure about that pump, but many will use less power when you throttle down their outputs like this.

Another option is to place a tee connector on the output of your pump, one end going to the display and the other back to the sump or refugium. Put a valve on the sump end of that to control how much water flows back to the sump.
Old 06/14/2007, 06:26 PM
It's Domo-kun

For reducing overflow noise, I use a Stockman standpipe. You can find DIY plans by searching for it on google. It's more compact than the durso, and very easy to make if you have a power drill.
Old 06/14/2007, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Put a tee in the return line and have it tee off too the sump and create a little flow somewhere. No need to put back pressure on pump.
Old 06/14/2007, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JownsenJesus
Put a tee in the return line and have it tee off too the sump and create a little flow somewhere. No need to put back pressure on pump.
Actually dont be afraid of valving it off. For some reason I dont understand (cause it contrary to what you would expect), the pump will actually use less power when flow is restricted. This is what Ive been told by some very respectable hobbyests anyway. I'm sure it has something to do with induction and resistance created by the magnetic fields and its interaction with the speed or force on the impeller. Ah its over my head.

I however tee'd of my return to run ca reactor, extra circ for the sump and fuge, phosphate reactor, not to mention its running through the chiller too.
Old 06/14/2007, 08:04 PM
It's Domo-kun

Yes, as I mentioned above, many pumps will use less power if the return is restricted. Basically, the impeller will spin slower, which means less current must be flowing through the pump (unless that excess power goes into heat).

If you valve the input end, it will spin just as fast (and use as much power), but it will move less water in the process.
Old 06/15/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks guys... let me take care of dat... cant wait
Old 06/15/2007, 12:58 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Yeah, you can put a ball valve on the output of the valve.

But I think you should also consider expanding the drain to 2" since you will be doing a durso mod on it anyways. It is much easier to do it now.