Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: why is my colt not doing well MULTAPLE CHOICE
too much flow 4 100.00%
too much light 1 25.00%
iodine or other suplament 2 50.00%
they look good to me 0 0%
some other reason... please specify 0 0%
not enouth flow 0 0%
not enough light 0 0%
too cold 1 25.00%
too hot 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06/07/2007, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

colt coral not thriveing HELP

I have 3 green colt corrals I fragged them from one huge one about 3 months ago when I bought the tank. it was doing very well in the old setup but now not so much. this is about all they ever open up

[/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 06/07/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

check your PH, might be flow if it wasn't used to that koralia next to it already
Old 06/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

ph is at 8.10 +/1 .03 I use the ACIII to control ph with kalcwasser

the koralia is a #2 it has been there about a month
Old 06/07/2007, 02:13 PM
GO DUCKS!

to me that looks like a leather not a colt.

but whatever it is there is somthing wrong. It might be gettig too much light. I moved a colt from a tank with PCs to a tank with 250w MH and it did the same thing yours is doing. Move it down as low as possible and see if that changes anything.
Old 06/07/2007, 02:49 PM
Reef slave

looks like a leather.. iodine and add zenia
Old 06/07/2007, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

well it may be a leather. when I bought the tank it had OLD 250 watt 5500k. I ran those for about a month as I did not want to change any more than I had to...patience..let things settle down. after a month I put in 14k Hamilton lamps.. but those have looked the same all along. when I bout the tank, they were huge, rather it was huge.. I had to frag it as it was straddling two 20Lb rocks.

I have a ton of xenia, I think i am going to start fraging it. one colony is engaged in battle with a colony of brown/green button polyps.. the xenia is kicking the buttons ars

thanks
Old 06/07/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Bump up your alkalinity.
Old 06/07/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

IMO.....Looks like Spaghetti Leather.....(I'll take a frag)...
too much flow. too much light. Add Iodine. keep an eye on water temp.
Old 06/07/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

you are more than welcome to a frag.. there is lots of it. last i checked my alk it was real high. running kalcwassa and calcium reactor.. IIRC alk was 13. I am adding Kent soft corral supplement which contains iodine. since 5/28 (that is far back as i can check my graph from work) the temp has not gone below 78.9 or above 79.3 or, 79.1 +/- 0.2 ph has had a peek of 8.19 and a dip of 8.05 but pretty much has stayed 8.1 +/- 0.05
Old 06/07/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Old 06/07/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

alk is too high. I've had huge success with leathers and not had to keep alk high. Is this your only coral? if so, cut down on alk. If not, and you have other coral that depend on high alk, I would get rid of one or the other....just IMO....and yes, slice a peice off for me pls.....
Old 06/08/2007, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

well there is a plate corral and i am planning on going sps and clams. perhaps I should start a balancing act around alk of 11 I have a green and a purple frogspawn. lots of Xenia and some youmas

like I said, you are welcome to a frag. do you want me to mail it to you?
Old 06/08/2007, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Its a sinularia sp.

Mine sometimes closes up and looks like that for a week or two, usually flow or something is irritating it but it has always come back.