Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2004, 05:09 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

which species for a beginner?

I'm just about ready to purchase my SH and was wondering what species would be best for a beginner like me. Here are some factors I require though.

1) CB only (for me a newbie) plan on purchasing from MDL

2) tank set up 54 gal, wet/dry , aqua c skimmer, mag 7, T-5 lights, 120 LS(DSB), 75lbs LR, shrooms, rics.

*****3) most importantly I want a SH that reaches a decent size (5") is colorful and active with personality, must be able to eat frozen foods, I don't want a temperate species (no chillers for me).

I was considering H. erectus, H. Kuda, and H. Barbouri

any other CB species (not temperate) out there that fulfill my criteria?

The plan: I plan on having a species dedicated tank with no more than 6 total Horses, starting with just a single pair.
Old 05/27/2004, 05:11 PM
Team RC Member

Good plan. Your three are all good choices, they would be the ones I would recommend.

I like erectus best, and they are definitely, IME, hardiest. I also keep barbs, never kept kuda. I think all three are hardy, as long as they are established and you pay close attention to water conditions, health and nutrition. I have heard that barbs are sensitive to nitrates over 20 ppm.
Old 05/27/2004, 05:11 PM
Team RC Member

EDIT: duplicate post cleared (I was not permitted to delete my post)
Old 05/27/2004, 09:53 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

what should I use to QT? or do I even bother with CB?
Old 05/28/2004, 10:33 AM
Team RC Member

I use a 10 gallon tank with bare bottom, power filter with sponge over the intake, some macro (gracilaria, sea lettuce) and 7-10 lbs cured live rock. I also have a few marine ghost shrimp and snails. If the animal requires medication that would damage the bio-filter, I remove the rock and inverts and do frequent water changes. If I don't need to medicate or medicate with compounds that won't wipe out the bio-filter or inverts, I leave them to assure more stable water conditions.

This is a good sized tank for training to eat frozen, growing out small animals (as many CB are these days) and observing health and feeding. I would urge you to QT a CB at least two weeks, and a WC 6-8 weeks before adding to a display tank with other seahorses. JMO.

Lisa
Old 05/28/2004, 10:34 AM
Team RC Member

of course if you had a really large animal, like some of the huge WC reidi I've been seeing, you might need a larger QT, more like a 20...
Old 05/28/2004, 11:02 AM
Clownfish Enthusiast

OK, thanks should I do any type of bath or dip before placing in QT?

BTW I really like the potbelly's but don't want to invest in a chiller, can I pull it off in Michigan? the summer is the only thing I worry about, if I didn't use my heater the water would stay relatively cool, about 75-77, but I'm guessing? What do you think? is it possible?
Old 05/30/2004, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

75 to 77 is MUCH to high for the Pot Bellies. They should not be keopt over 72 with 66 to 69 being ideal.

Now the whitei are another story and should be added to the beginner list, if you can keep your tank under 77 with 72 to 75 being optimal. I would say of the species you listed the erectus are the most hearty of the group with whitei right along side.

I find the barbs and kuda to be a bit more sensitive.

I would also recommend choosing seahorses from one breeder and keeping a breeder specific tank. I find they do much better than when mixed with horses from other breeders in different parts of the world.

The horses only need to be quarantined if they are coming from a place that does not keep a dedicated captive bred system.

HTH,

Leslie