Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Question GBTA bleaching question

I bought a GBTA at the beginning of August, and it was fairly bleached at that time, looking pretty neon green more than green. I have been feeding it silversides, mysis, and shrimp every other or every third day, and it eats well and overall, looks healthy.
My question is about color. It is still bleached, and I can't really say I have noticed any change in color since I bought it from the store. Any ideas if there is something else I should be doing? It's in a 55g mixed reef. My lights are 260w PC, which he seems to really like, as he stays bubbled most of the time. My params are as follows: S.G. 1.024, Ph 8.3/8.4, Alk 10dKH, Cal 450, Nitrites/Ammonia/Phos 0, Nitrates are maybe 5, but closer to 0. Nothing is stressing him out physically, he isn't near other corals, and neither of my clowns are using it as a host. Any ideas?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

It could be the light you have. Most people recommend t5s or MH for anemones. They can do ok with that light but they need brighter light to regain their color.

I also wouldn't allow any clown to live in an anemone that is bleached. If a clown trys to move into the anemone in that condition, the anemone will never recover from losing its zooxanthellae. So its a good thing your clowns haven't accepted the anemone as their host.

Last edited by wicked_NaCl_h2o; 01/08/2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

And I knew the lights would be the first thing mentioned I know it would do better under brighter lights, but its hard for me to believe that they aren't bright enough. I mean I have SPS in my tank that are thriving, so how can an anemone really need more light than SPS?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I don't know..I don't have any experience with sps so I couldn't tell ya. Maybe your sps is healthy and are good with any light. The bta lost its color so it needs more light to regain its color. *Shrugs* I'm sure you'll hear from some bta plus sps owners soon.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Christina, I do appreciate the input I guess I'm just hoping that things will be ok without a lighting upgrade for a bit.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Pics? Maybe that's its natural color. Are the light bulbs old? Is the anemone close to the bulbs? Is there an acrylic shield between the bulbs and the anemone? Is the anemone within a foot or so of the PC bulbs?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Well, I don't think its the natural color, but I could be wrong. The bulbs are right at 4 months old. The anemone is about 11 inches from the lights when opened, but this is where he moved and has remained since going in. There is an acrylic overflow box above him, but it is offset in relation, so the light gets to him unimpeded. Here are some pictures:

1st introduced in Aug.:

About a month later:

And today:
Old 01/08/2008, 12:13 PM
Moved In

With all that food I'm surprised it hasn't colored up more. It looks healthy otherwise tho. I'd just keep feeding.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/08/2008, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, doesn't look like a color variant, just looks bleached. What color temp (Kelvin) bulbs do you have?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I am surprised as well. I mean it looks so healthy, and it eats every other day!
My bulbs are 10k for daylight and 460nM blue for actinic
Old 01/08/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

The blue light is basically useless for an anemone--very poor PAR.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

i.e. to say, don't factor the blue in to the watts for your tank.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

just fyi some sps requires less light than others. But to be honest if its eating, i woudlnt worry. If you get the chance for better lighthing get it and it might color up faster. But it looks good to me. Besides the slight bleaching.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:53 AM
Moved On

Give some MORE time lol. Everything will be ok.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I'll give it more time. Thanks everyone for the input. I just thought it should have colored up more by now.