Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 10:03 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Sohal Tang experience

Do you have one in a reef tank? What are its tank mates? Photos/experiences.

Really like the looks of this fish and talking myself into one.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I had one for almost 3 years started in a 120gal but outgrew that very quickly but got him a 8ft 240gal...he outgrew that quick to. I had to get rid of him to a friend that has a 1000gal lagoon in his basement. I got him at 4" but grew to 8" in 6months and after a year he was 10" by the time I got rid of him he was over a foot long and about 16" if you counted his streamers. I fed him very well and he was with 3 other tangs(Purple, Tomini, Sailfin) plus myriad of fairy wrasses and a Regal and Bellus Angel. Like I said I kept him well fed which knocked down his aggression but he was so large in my 240 that it was like a Bull in a china shop. Here are some pics

This was when he was in the 120gal:

And in the 240gal
Old 11/14/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Sohal here,

Tank mates are 6" yellow tang, 6 inch pink tail trigger, 3 inch emp angel, 2 clarikii clowns, mandarin goby, 2 bangai cardinals. Alot of aggression in the beginning, but now the yellow tang is the king since hes the biggest. He picks on the sohal sometimes
Old 11/15/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

I got one today! Ha, he's already established himself as the king of kings!
Old 11/15/2007, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

rcerulli, how big is the sohal and also, how long have you had both the yellow and sohal in your tank.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:31 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Thanks All.

Anydarnthing, the 240 was not big enough for him, you do not have it anymore?
Old 11/15/2007, 10:27 AM
Fish Wrangler

Got one here. Had it almost a week. So far no aggression. He is 6". Had one a few months back that was 3-4" and my purple tang killed it.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/15/2007, 11:34 AM
Reefneck.

We had one, and he was the biggest bully ever. He shredded the tail of my red sea sailfin, and forced my ocean surgeon into hiding and wouldnt let him come out of his hiding spot. The only thing in my tank he didnt completely harass was my blue reef chromis. He now has a new home

~Becca
Old 11/15/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

sounds like the are very aggresive but they are one of the coolest fish i have ever seen and besides they are the reef central mascot!!! ahahaha
Old 11/15/2007, 04:01 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I had one for over a year but recently took him back to the LFS where I got him. I bought him when he was about 4" long and he grew to about 8" in that year. By far the most agressive fish I have ever kept and I have kept a few. It got to the point that he wouldn't allow any of the other tangs near the algae clips and really had it out for my regal tang. He made it impossible for me to put any other fish that was close to or equal in size so I was stuck with really small fish or huge fish.

Here are some pics.

Old 11/15/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeroy
rcerulli, how big is the sohal and also, how long have you had both the yellow and sohal in your tank.
sohal is about 4.5" inches, ive had them both for about 3 months.

Heres some pics

Old 11/17/2007, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Just got one - it's about 4.5 inches. Very nice fish. Hope it doesn't get too agressive or too big, although, I am sure that won't happen.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:45 AM
Fish Wrangler

Ronster, it will get big...its' inevitable. Only a matter of how long before HUGE.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/18/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Ronster my Sohal went from 4" to 8" in 6months and grew to 11" in a year, when I finally got rid of him he outgrew a 240gal. He is about 16" with streamers right now after a little more then 2 years.