Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2005, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I have zoos on a big rock with some ricordea, would the dip kill the ricordea?
Old 08/23/2005, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Mucho,

Can not thank you enough for providing this info on the treatment. Several years ago I had colony after colony disappear. Since then I have only been keeping SPS's and about 2 months ago bought a few more zoa colonies. Right away I started to see them disappear. About 3 weeks ago I tried the dip and the following day, the zoa's came back in full force, and have been great ever since. Even some that had not opened for a few weeks are back.
Old 08/24/2005, 03:38 PM
Team RC Member

Sullivmw, that's great. No need to thank me, we are all learning, sharing and growing in this hobby. I just like to give back as often as I can when I can. That's just what reefers do.

Mucho

PS, if you run your actinics only on the first day that you place new arrivals in your tank, you will notice a major difference in the time it takes for them to expand.
Old 08/24/2005, 04:21 PM
Carl Brutananadilewski

mucho when can we see some pics of your new setup?

-Robert Plant
Old 08/29/2005, 11:05 PM
Team RC Member

bkiba, I'd rather see your tank instead my friend. Got any pics you wanna share with us?

Mooch

I'm gonna post some once my new lens arrives.
Old 08/29/2005, 11:06 PM
Team RC Member

bkiba, I'd rather see your tank instead my friend. Got any pics you wanna share with us?

Mooch

I'm gonna post some once my new lens arrives.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:35 AM
Team RC Member

Just a quick note, somewhere in this thread I think I posted that I now use 4 to 5 drops of Lugols Iodine per gallon of RO water.

Mods, could you please remove one of the duplicate replies from me above. Thanks.

Mucho
Old 10/01/2005, 12:56 PM
Carl Brutananadilewski

mucho

here you go, this is two photos put together that is why there is only 1/2 a gramma

I've used the FW/iodine dip religiously and my zoos are loving it.

-Robert Plant
Old 10/01/2005, 05:16 PM
RC Sponsor

how long is too long for a dip ?
Old 10/01/2005, 06:30 PM
Carl Brutananadilewski

Probably a day or so, zoos are pretty resilient. They can take a lot when they are closed up, even not being in water. Once they close up they use their internal stored water/goo to live off for a few days if they are healthy. As long as they stay moist you can pretty much do whatever you want to them. I've gone as long as 20 mintues with troublesome zoos with no problems.

-Robert Plant
Old 10/03/2005, 10:15 AM
Moved On

Zoo dip is very important and needed for sick zoos. In my opinion, should remove sick part with razor and dip for twnty mins are best way to cure zoos.
Old 10/14/2005, 11:15 AM
Moved On

Sounds Like a very good theory
Old 10/15/2005, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

http://www.clarksonlab.com/index.html

8oz bottle for $20.00 or 1g for $99.00 look under chemicals and solutions.
Old 10/22/2005, 01:10 PM
Reefcast Fan

would this stuff work the same?

Old 10/24/2005, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

I want to add one other thought to the mix on zoo dipping. People have mentioned nudis, snails and infections as things that cause zoos to retract. There is one other cause and dipping cures that also. If you get even a small amount of algae (even diatoms) growing on the stalks of the zoos, they will eventually close up, mainly because of the constant irritation caused by both the algae itself and grazers (mostly amphipods and hermits). Lugols Solution has a common ecological use and that is to preserve algae samples collected from both fresh and salt water systems:

http://www.epa.gov/greatlakes/lmmb/m...ol.pdf#search='preservative%20phytoplankton%20samples%20lugol's%20solution'

Lugols immediately kills the algae, but it has the added benefit that it doesn't damage the cells, so the samples can be readily identified at a later date. Thus it follows that a freshwater/Lugols dip would reduced attached algae. The freshwater doesn't do the attached algae any good either, because just like the pods, the lower osmotic pressure does a number on the algae.

If you dip your zoos and a whole bunch of pods come out, it might mean that they have been nibbling at the algae on your zoos (or it may just mean they like hiding in that rock).
Old 10/24/2005, 10:03 PM
Team RC Member

Snakebyt, yes, that's exactly what we use.

jabloomf1230, great point and observation.

Like I said, the knowledge here is endless if we all contribute.

Mooch
Old 11/08/2005, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

This may be a silly question, but is the RO water saltwater or freshwater?
Old 11/08/2005, 09:23 PM
RC Sponsor

filtered fresh water
Old 11/13/2005, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

MUCHO, I noticed that you also have Ricordea, do you have any special treatment for them as well?

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge/experience on the zoos!! Anything that will help any or our coral to survive better is always appreciated. Keep up the great work.
Old 11/13/2005, 02:56 PM
Team RC Member

With the exception of periodic fungus/infections from stress, trauma in transit or hot/cold issues, rics do not experience all of the issues we have experienced with zoos. I do howver do a quick dip of about 30 seconds or so just to swoosh off any potential host from entering my tank.

Mucho
Old 11/20/2005, 02:24 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i tried it

i tried this dip meathod on one colony. i used 3 gallons r/o(adjusted ph slowly and carefully)then added 5 drps lugols solution( to 3 gallons buffered r/o) i used a pinpoint marine therm(about 35$)untill i had 78 f,..my tank just happened to be 78f as well. i broke the colony into 4 pecies(it is on top of a dead birds nest) i picked off anything i could see in between the pecies of rock(after soaking for 5 minutes and shaking for 1)then i put the zoos back in my tank.this immediately had an efffect on my mushrooms(exept one colony)they closed up most of the way, but the zoos were in place. the next day they were not open and my mushrooms looked bad.the day after that my mushrooms looked a little better and the zoos were open(i have not found any nudis on the rock i picked at and dipped, but two of the other colonys have a few nudis (i have colected 3 since the treatment. i would say the treatment went well but i still have some in my tank.my next step is to try to catch my 6-line wrasse and add a seagrass wrasse.other than that i am manually removing them.
(i was thinking..... before i put iodine in the freshwater dip i should have poured a ittle in a separate container( so before i put them back in my tank i could have washed off the iodine solution)
Old 11/20/2005, 04:26 PM
Team RC Member

One dip does not guarantee nudibranch eradication, never has. Inspection after a dip is just as important as the dip. Lets say you dipped the rock 5 times before you placed it back in your tank, yes, you can still have nudis if there are sticky egg sacks attached to the rock. You have to do a detailed close inspection of the rock with an eye piece and tweezers under actinic lighting if possible. The actinics will highlight the white egg sacks. Again, even after a dip, and once incubation periods end, whammo, you can get nudis.

I think the very best thing to do to insure that no host or predators of any kind will enter your tank, is to dip, inpect, quarantine for 2 weeks, then dip again before placing it in your tank. Just my 2 cents.

Mooch
Old 11/25/2005, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

If you quarantine your zoos from the rest of the tank, will the nudi's die in the main tank from lack of food? If so, how long?
Old 01/10/2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

How do you adjust your ph?
Old 01/13/2006, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Great Write Up