Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

kalkwasser to kill aiptasia

hello,
What is a good mix of kalkwasser to use to inject aiptasia with to kill?

I mixed 2 teaspoons with 1 cup of ro/di water and injected the aiptasia with 10cc's - they retracted but are back to day.

Thanks
Old 12/23/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I have heard that some people have has success with lemon juice.
Old 12/23/2007, 02:43 PM
Caulastrea sp

you have to make sure you inject them right in them. its easy to miss. that mix should have done the trick.

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 12/23/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

I make a thick paste and drip it onto them. They eat it and the rapid pH swing kills them. If they retract they are nearly impossible to get at.
Old 12/23/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

You defenatly made it to thin, it needs to be a past and be sure to get it in thier mouth.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:40 PM
Gold Star Recipient

you may need to add more teaspoons until the kalk on the bottom of the container becomes more like a paste that you can suck up with a syringe.

you don't need to inject the anemones all the time. if you can smother them, turn off the high flow pumps, and let the kalk paste harden- sometimes they won't come back. if they do come back, they will be smaller and you just need to do it again until you don't see them anymore.
lemon juice works i think because of the difference in pH but because it's not very thick or heavy, it won't "sit" on top of the aiptasia- you need to inject it into the anemone's trunk or stuff it into its mouth.
if you stuff it into its mouth, you need to be careful not to insert too much of the liquid otherwise the anemone's trunk will burst and possibly create more little anemones.
you can use a medical needle/syringe to inject the base or a syringe with a plastic, pointed tip to stuff it into the mouth.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

I found the easiest way is to inject with a syringe. Mix up a good slurry but thin enough not to clog and stick 'em with it. Got rid of all my aiptasia that way. Best method I found. You can get syringes at most any feed store.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Hello-- I had about 75 -100 of the little suckers in my 65 gal tank and tried to inject them with some stuff I bought at Big Als and had no luck. They just retracted into the rock before I could get them.
I got about 8 peppermint shrimp and in about 3-4 weeks they were gone.---Jerry
Old 12/24/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help everyone - I will make it thicker and give it a try