Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

3-stripe damsel vs. green coris wrasse?

I have a green coris wrasse that has been in QT for 6 weeks, and I'd like to move to my display. One of the fish in the display is a 3-stripe, who is very aggressive toward most things that move, except his current tank-mates.

I recently was going to add a neon goby, but he attacked non-stop it until I removed the goby to another tank.

I've been trying to catch the damsel to move it to the QT while the wrasse goes into the display, but not having much luck so far. So, my question is, who's likely to be tougher, the wrasse or the damsel?

If I add the wrasse, are they likely to fight, and if so, which fish is likely to be tougher? The wrasse is pretty small, maybe about 2.5". The damsel is a little bigger than a quarter, but smaller than a half-dollar.

I'll keep trying to catch the damsel, unless I get a lot of responses that the wrasse is a bada$$ that'll just put the damsel in its place.

Oh yeah - the display is a 135g, and the other current tankmates are: naso tang, flame angel, half-blind yellow tang, diamond goby, and a blue damsel (actually peaceful).
Old 11/25/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

I think an established damsel is likely to hurt a stressed out wrasse. If you can not catch the damsel you might be able to use egg crate to divide the tank so that the wrasse has a chance to settle in.
Old 11/25/2007, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

yes my 3 striped damesel is in the qurentine tank he is a monster
Old 11/25/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

What if I tire out the 3-stripe before adding the wrasse?

It will fight my siphon tube (rigid airline tubing) as long as I'm near its hole, so I can tire it out, but it stays completely away from the net. I could wear it out, then add the wrasse...

I'd like to get this done in the next day or 2, because I'm going out of town for 10 days this week. A fellow reef-keeper is going to take care of my tanks while I'm gone, but I'd really prefer the damsel to be in the less-stable 20g QT than the wrasse - who is past ready to move to display anyway.

Oh yeah - the wrasse is about 1" longer than the damsel, but that doesn't mean a lot, since their body shapes are so different.

Last edited by kypatriot; 11/25/2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11/25/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I don't think you will have long term success using the siphon method
Old 11/25/2007, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

This fish is amazingly hard to catch.

I guess a big part of my question is - if the damsel did attack the wrasse and have the upper-hand, is the tank big enough (has lots of rock and corals) for the wrasse to not get hurt?

Right now, the damsel is the 2nd smallest fish in the tank, and only goes after the blue damsel when it gets near the 3-stripe's area. But it was out to kill that neon goby I added...

I'd like to move the wrasse, but don't want to be in a spot where they're both in the 135g and I can't catch either one to move it.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog! An established 3-stripe is going to be a formidable foe to a new Coris that is trying desperately to figure out how he landed in a place full of large fish and an at least one aggressive enemy. Kick back, leave the Wrasse in QT if he is eating and doing well, and keep trying to catch the Damsel. Try this- put the net in the tank, net down and handle up, and leave it there for a few days. The fish will get use to its presence and not be so startled as when it enters the tank "cold". When you feel they are ignoring the net, feed the fish in front of the net with one hand on the net's handle, and go for it quick when the damsel is close and in front of the net- you'll only have one chance a week! Good luck.