Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

New LFS in Land O Lakes

Just stopped by a new LFS in Land O Lakes off of hwy54 called Scales & Wings. It's west of the 54 & 56 intersection they had salt water and birds.

Where are all these places popping up from?
Old 12/31/2007, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Well, how was the store?
Old 12/31/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Brian, how was it, I drive by it 2 times a day and never have stopped in to take a look.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

It was ok but they are still in the process of setting up. They have a row (two tanks high) of fish and two rows of tanks with inverts and soft corals. They had two nautilus for sale which I thought was pretty cool other than that i didn't see anything I just had to have. They haven't set up any fresh tanks yet.

I've been driving by it for a couple weeks also and finally decided to stop in. I'll go back just to see what kind of stuff they are able to get in.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

We stopped by there recently also and I hope it gets better although it's not on my list of places to go again. They did not speak to me or my husband even though the place is really small . They had fish with ich including a purple tang heavily covered. I also overheard one of them telling a customer it was ok to add salt directly to a tank that had livestock in it. The SG of the water they sold him was off.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Laura, thanks for the info!

I will stop by one day and strike up a conversation.

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 12/31/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Sketch, real sketch

Quote:
ok to add salt directly to a tank
Old 12/31/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I talked with the owners when I was there and they were personable but I wouldn't rely on them as the authority on reefing if I needed help on my tank. LOL
Old 01/01/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I stopped in there the other day. Two employees - young man and young woman were discussing a computer problem the man was having (and the woman was trying to help, I guess) right where you have to squeeze by to get to the fish room. I just about had to shove them out of the way to get through. Same thing coming back through. They couldn't be bothered to move to a more reasonable place to stand to discuss this. Or at least stand on the same side as each other! jeez. I won't be back.

I only went there because there was an article in the paper about it, and the owners sounded really cool.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
right where you have to squeeze by to get to the fish room. I just about had to shove them out of the way to get through. Same thing coming back through. They couldn't be bothered to move to a more reasonable place to stand to discuss this. Or at least stand on the same side as each other! jeez. I won't be back.
Same deal with my husband and I which is why I was kind of taken aback that they didn't even say hello. I'll pass on this store, I'm sticking with Mystic, FAOIS and the occasional PetMart if I'm in that area.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LauraCline
Same deal with my husband and I which is why I was kind of taken aback that they didn't even say hello. I'll pass on this store, I'm sticking with Mystic, FAOIS and the occasional PetMart if I'm in that area.
I have written this post 4 times now...and as you can tell not posted it...

Here goes attempt number 5...

ABORTED

LOL, so far I can not find the correct words.... darn!

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 01/07/2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Went looking for the store today found it at the corner of Oak Grove Blvd. and SR 54

"Scales & Wings" contact info

(813) 948-6611
24408 State Road 54
Lutz, FL 33559
scalesandwings@tampabay.rr.com