Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/09/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy hair algae HELP!!

Algae explosion in tank? All levels are good ph is 8 Tank has been running for a year. What could be causing this??
Old 01/09/2008, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

You mention that "all levels are good," but are you testing for everything? Nitrates are commonly tested, but phosphates not quite as commonly...So, are you testing for that, because elevated phosphates would be my first guess.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Yes phos are good
Old 01/09/2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I did pull out some bioballs about a month ago. could this cause??
Old 01/09/2008, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

what are your inhabitants?
Old 01/09/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

How steady is the temp on your tank??
Old 01/09/2008, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

some lps sps, yellow tang, scooter,bicolor,4 cromis,2 cleaner shrimp,maroon clown
Old 01/09/2008, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

between 76-78 most of time. HAve had a few warmups to 81 but not for a while
Old 01/09/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

How old are your lights? I know that the lights on one side of my tank need to be replaced because there is an algae outbreak on only one side of my tank. Other side has next to none and sunlight is not an issue.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

I just replaced my mh bulb last week (11 months). I run a 20k radium mogul. Do you think i went to long??
Old 01/10/2008, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

I recently battled hair algae. I found a combination of things are working. A phosban reactor has helped, but a sea hare has really gone to work cleaning up my tank. I tried various crabs, but the hare can chow down.

good luck
Old 01/10/2008, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

You pulled out bioballs? What were the nitrates like with the balls in there? What is your reading for nitrates now?
Old 01/10/2008, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rlm2005
You pulled out bioballs? What were the nitrates like with the balls in there? What is your reading for nitrates now?
I just pulled out all my bio balls too and i had hair algae before that and it looks like it slowly dieing off

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/10/2008, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary tara
I did pull out some bioballs about a month ago. could this cause??
Pullinfg the bio-balls out would only prompt a micro-algae generation if the result was to somehow cause a nitrate spike for the algae to capitalize on. Did you test the nitrates regularly at the time just before you removed them, and at the time just after they were removed? Was there any increase of nitrates at that time? Also, if the phosphate/nitrate balance was thrown off in the process or for any other reason, it might have been triggered. Actually, the phosphates might even be testing at zero but there are neverthelss phosphates in the water that aren't showing up in the testing because it's being consumed as it's generated by the algae. Try a phosphate reactor with a good quality phosphate-removing medium.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I've been having the hair algae problem too! It looks like bushes growing off of my LR. I'm currently in the process of removing my bio-balls as well. It was suggested to remove a handfull of them at a time and then replace with LR rubble. My Nitrates are always perfect....PERFECT AT 20! I've never been able to get them below 20 despite the skimmer and phosban, so I figured I would try the removing of bio-balls.

I've heard that about the sea hare too, but because of their toxicity I'm too leary on getting one.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/10/2008, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

I hit that (approx. 20 ppm) wall, too. The only thing that solved that was a sulfur denitrifier. Now, always zero, so I'd suggest that.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:21 AM
Team RC Member

A refugium would get it: probably it was the combination of expired bulb and sudden nutrient bath---for which your sandbed was not quite ready. It will have caught up now, but all that crud [nitrate is also a fertilizer] is now in the algae and will not read accurately on tests.

Use a 3-day dark 1 day actinic combined with a refugium [once a month] plus a lawnmower blenny, say, to get that stuff consumed, pooed, and collected by disposable algae in a fuge.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
A refugium would get it: probably it was the combination of expired bulb and sudden nutrient bath---for which your sandbed was not quite ready. It will have caught up now, but all that crud [nitrate is also a fertilizer] is now in the algae and will not read accurately on tests.

Use a 3-day dark 1 day actinic combined with a refugium [once a month] plus a lawnmower blenny, say, to get that stuff consumed, pooed, and collected by disposable algae in a fuge.
Would a lawnmower blenny be too much load for my tank now as it's only a BC29? My livestock is already listed. The fuge isn't much of an option because of space and because it's quite tough to mod my bc.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/10/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the help. I pulled the bioballs because i had been told that they could produce nitrates. My nitrates stayed 0 befor and after removal. I am in the long process of upgrading to a 120 and i will have a refug. for know do you think a phos pad or a phos remover will do
Old 01/10/2008, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I've only used the pho bags. I believe the phos reactor would be 10x's better. But, I ran into the problem of having a biocube LOL! I just didn't have anywhere to hook it up!

But, with my phosban (bag), my nitrates are still at 20! At least I'm consistent! LOL!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/10/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Gary, with 8 fish your overstocked-find a home for 2 or more fish, or the tang, and your problems will slow down, and you need better nutrient export.

dileggi, it depends on what your using as nutrient export. Maybe, maybe not. If your already having HA issues, you'd be pushing the bioload over the edge possibly.

BUT, if you both can keep up with water changes, watch your nitrates closely, and check your ammonia often-you may beable to do it.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Thanks swan. I was hoping the lawnmower would just help with the HA problem, but I know it technically would just be a quick fix and that's probably not the way to do it!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/10/2008, 05:52 PM
clams are your friends.

Trust your eyes, not the test kits. If you have hair algae you have a nutrient problem. Yanking the bioballs was a good idea. Don't put them back. The suggestion to take out a couple fish is a good one.

I'm starting feel like I need to be sponsored by Two Little Fishes, but here goes again:

Get a PhosBan Reactor, PhosBan media, MJ400 and 2 feet of 1/2" airline tubing. Run it for one month, then change the media and wait another month. If the hair algae hasn't started to go away after two months PM me and I'll buy the reactor from you.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
Trust your eyes, not the test kits. If you have hair algae you have a nutrient problem. Yanking the bioballs was a good idea. Don't put them back. The suggestion to take out a couple fish is a good one.

I'm starting feel like I need to be sponsored by Two Little Fishes, but here goes again:

Get a PhosBan Reactor, PhosBan media, MJ400 and 2 feet of 1/2" airline tubing. Run it for one month, then change the media and wait another month. If the hair algae hasn't started to go away after two months PM me and I'll buy the reactor from you.
I actually bought the reactor. My only problem was getting it hooked up the biocube. So, I returned it to the store. As much as I like the BC, and it's probably good as a starter tank, it seems to be very restrictive in what can be added.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/10/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

yeah, I like the look of biocubes, I'd like a 100+ gallon cube tank. But thats OT

Sometimes it takes others to make you open your eyes to what you already know.