Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Wrasse question!!!

What is the best wrasse that will eat flatworms, leave other inverts alone, dosen't cost an arm and a leg, and if worth looking at.

Sounds like a pie in the sky but it can't hurt to ask.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:21 AM
GO BUCKS

i think you would be looking for a six line wrasse
Old 01/10/2008, 12:29 AM
Team RC Member

yellow coris

only costs an arm no leg
Old 01/10/2008, 01:05 AM
Moved On

are the coris' very agressive though to other wrasses? i think i remember hearing that. they are amazing at eating bad stuff though. I think it's rokle m that has one but he keeps it in his frag tank only.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:48 AM
Hydrophilic

Any of the Pseudocheilinus group of wrasses would work reasonably well- sixline, fourline, mystery, cryptic wrasse, etc. (arranged in what IME is decreasing aggression). Some of the smaller coris wrasses might work OK, but they tend to pick at stuff (like clams) more than the other guys do.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 01/10/2008, 08:11 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Yes, I have a Halichoeres Leucoxanthus / Halichoeres Chrysus (yellow coris wrasse) in my frag tank, but it's not really a coris from what I've read. Coris in general get big and mean, but this one seems to stay nice and calm from what I've read. He is by himself, so it's hard for me to say.

Personally, I've found sixlines to be uber-evil, and I have no intention of getting another one.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Sixline get nasty.

Does anyone keep wrasses in a barebottom setup? I could see them giving themselves a concussion trying to dive into the "sand".

Would the coris group pick on urchins as I've fed to many clams to my cleanup crew so I gave up on them, but we have a long spined urchin we have had for about 5 years and don't want to make food out of him.

Haven't seen any cryptic wrasse, got a picture?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

i have a blue star leopard wrasse that will eat flatworms that are on mushrooms but not on any euphyllia, go figure. i have alos bought a small sixline for an 8 gallon nano. i don't think he eats them for some odd reason. i have heard peppermint shrimp like to grub on flatworms too.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Buying peppermint shrimp is like pouring sand down a rat hole as you rarely see them again, it's a crap shoot to get one that will eat the aptasia or other stuff and they don't seem to live long.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:04 AM
Ohhh that kind of reefer!

I have both the Halichoeres Chrysus and the Pseudocheilinus hexataenia. The chrysus is in my main tank with sand. Very peaceful and neat fish. It doesn't seem to eat the flatworms. I also have a madarin in there that doesn't eat flatworms. On the other hand I have 6 line wrasses in my bare bottom tanks and I don't see a single flatworm.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:00 AM
Moved On

here you go!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1290041
Old 01/10/2008, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Wrasse question

Sammie,
I have a blue sided fairy, lubbocks fairy, and a tri-color fairy wrasse in a bare bottom tank and the bottom hasn't been an issue. However I did notice they are "jumping" more frequently and had to rescue the lubbocks the other day from a potential carpet surfing incident. Don't know if sand would help that or not. Oh well, just keeping it covered...
Old 01/10/2008, 10:45 AM
Professional somedays

I have a mystery and he's constantly scouring the rocks for things to pick at. They're a bit expensive but not the most expensive out there. He seems to do a decent job at flatwork control is relatively calm (doesn't fight with the other wrasses) and is just amazing to look at.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:05 PM
I have wet shirt sleeves

They are not the flashiest wrasse but another option may be a possum wrasse (Wetmorella sp.). They can be brownish or a deep red/orange. Cool little boogers, we have 3. They stay pretty small and add virtually no load and bother nothing...but they are a bit hard to find. I have never seen it documented that they eat flatworms but personally I believe they do.

Their faces actually look like a possum and believe it or not, they play dead when you catch them and have them in a bucket (float upside down).

Love mystery wrasses also...but lost ours recently (my favorite fish). All I have left is my avatar.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I have 2 hawain Flame Wrasses, a mystery, lubbock, african exquisite, solarensis, and 2 or 3 other wrasses and I just treated my entire tank for flat worms. I think some of them eat them, but I don't think any can get in all the cracks and and holes that the worms can. Good luck, and if you find something that does eat them all let me know!