Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)

Old 01/10/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

OT: Window Installers?

You guys know of any window installers that are resonable priced?

I have the wondows and can have the old ones and out and ready for new ones.

There are 3 that need to be installed
Old 01/10/2008, 05:54 PM
Got Salt?

I'm an XP Windows installer...
hahahah

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/10/2008, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

OT - continued: Yeah XP Windows installer here too. Already planing my next wipe and reinstall including I think down to about a 15 minute call to microsoft to tell them - or more likely - someone in India, 'live' that No, it is not installed on another computer, not it is not.....

Also, from what I've heard - no way am I going to Vista.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

LOL!

I should have been more specific

House windows
Old 01/10/2008, 06:30 PM
Got Salt?

Sorry for the small hijack...
Yeah if you need boviac I can hook you up with a LEGAL copy that does not need activation, EVER... I have a copy that has unlimited licenses that we got from Microsoft via a grant. So.....

I usually re-install every year or so to clean it out..

But lately I've had really good luck on this install, it's been runing 2.5 years with no reload yet, and still running like a TOP and just as fast as when I did the install 2.5 years ago!!

~Steve~
Old 01/10/2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

I like my XP but think i have some bugs or something. just seems slow to me
Old 01/10/2008, 08:20 PM
Got Salt?

Bring it over here and I'll make it run better than the day you bought it..
(For real!)

~Steve~
Old 01/10/2008, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boviac
a 15 minute call to microsoft to tell them - or more likely - someone in India, 'live' that No, it is not installed on another computer, not it is not.....
lol, been there, done that!
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/10/2008, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

I am pretty sure that the "unlimited licenses" is for specific users/computers only. Once you transfer to a non-authorized user/computer, it is no longer legal. :P

BTW - I am using Vista now and have been quite happy with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by funman1
Sorry for the small hijack...
Yeah if you need boviac I can hook you up with a LEGAL copy that does not need activation, EVER... I have a copy that has unlimited licenses that we got from Microsoft via a grant. So.....
Old 01/10/2008, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

KD - are you installing retrofit windows or new fin nailed windows? You mentioned you have the windows already? You could probably hire a handyman to install it. Windows installations are pretty simple (especially retrofit windows). I have done the Windows at my parent's and sister's houses. Don't remove your window. Let the installer remove it. It doesn't take long to remove the window. Ask the installer to make sure your replacement window will work. That way, if they remove the window and realize they can fit it, it becomes their problem and not yours. If you remove the window, and you discover problems, the installer can decide not to install the new window, and you'll be stuck with a hole in the wall.

BTW - I had my windows "professionally" installed. The only reason why I had them professionally installed was because I had a bay window and a garden window. The bay window was really heavy and took 6 big guys who struggle to lift it. I wasn't really happy with the installers. They seem to slap on the windows and trim as fast as possible. There were no pride in workmanship.

Integrity Windows (located in Davis) did my neighbor's window. Their craftmanship was top notch. However, I don't know how much they charge - but I bet it wasn't cheap.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Bring it over here and I'll make it run better than the day you bought it..
(For real!)
you name it, i will be there
Old 01/11/2008, 01:02 AM
Got Salt?

kdblove_99, you got PM

~Steve~
Old 01/11/2008, 01:43 AM
I'm all wet!

Quote:
Originally posted by bored4long
lol, been there, done that!
Yep same here..... What I told them.....

" Well Ma'am I reinstall windows about every 6 months just to keep the computer running in tip top shape. OH why you ask. BECAUSE WINDOWS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And thats when they gave me my code to authorize.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 01/11/2008, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

I once had someone tell me that ASP sucks because it was "unstable." The person insisted on using using PHP and Cold Fusion. Ironically her web applications crashed on a regular basis. I informed her that maybe it's not the programming language, but the incompetent programmer who wrote the program. Never heard from her again...

I have some systems running Windows XP for 4 years without a reinstall, and it's still running great. I wonder if it's the operator that could be the cause of the problem.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:11 AM
Got Salt?

Mihn, on some of the systems I see, there's NO question about it..
It's def what we call in the IT industry
an id: 10-t or aka (ID10T)
Or there's also the PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)

We have all sorts of code words for them

Most of the times it people who just click through an install not reading anything, and endup with 10 different "tool bars" or "search bars" in explorer)
But trust me XP machines do go awry on their own. Even mine do it without provocation sometimes.

~Steve~
Old 01/11/2008, 02:13 AM
I'm all wet!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefugee
I once had someone tell me that ASP sucks because it was "unstable." The person insisted on using using PHP and Cold Fusion. Ironically her web applications crashed on a regular basis. I informed her that maybe it's not the programming language, but the incompetent programmer who wrote the program. Never heard from her again...

I have some systems running Windows XP for 4 years without a reinstall, and it's still running great. I wonder if it's the operator that could be the cause of the problem.
LOL, what ya trying to say Minh , HUH????? That I dont know what I am doing... No it aint the nasty websites.... LOL

Like we say at Work.... ID10T error

The main reason I do it is because I do so much on my computer with installing and uninstalling programs, Audio and video stuff..... Lately Ive been going on for about a year in between.

Old 01/11/2008, 02:14 AM
I'm all wet!

Quote:
Mihn, on some of the systems I see, there's NO question about it..
It's def what we call in the IT industry
an id: 10-t or aka (ID10T)
Or there's also the PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)

We have all sorts of code words for them

Most of the times it people who just click through an install not reading anything, and endup with 10 different "tool bars" or "search bars" in explorer)
But trust me XP machines do go awry on their own. Even mine do it without provocation sometimes.

LOL Steve great minds think alike my friend.... We are on the same brain pattern.

Old 01/11/2008, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefugee
Couldn't agree more. I remember when I first got XP and turned it on bam. There it was - ready. But amazing after five years is it? after I install all the updates.................... Yeah it now takes that long to turn on and be ready.

Though over time they may become unstable on their own, I am fully confident it is the PEBCEK situation here (not to metion all the crap that exists on the otherside of your firewall that we willingly or unwillingly invite over.) Wonder why you have to actually type in .../Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files and further try this one.../ Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/OLK22 and see how much wasted storage is being used up. Microsoft is being sneeky.

And to get back on topic... Yeah, go with professional window people. No sense in putting great thermally efficent windows in if they leak so badly all around the outside. Or worse, cause leaks!