Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 01/08/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Attempting to breed clownfish - log

My clownfish just laid their 3rd batch of eggs. After following many peoples advice I was able to place a tile in the tank and they took to it immediatly. Here is a pic of the new eggs.

I had started a phyto culture last week and it appears to have crashed. It has gotten lighter the last two days and now looks kind of yellow. I'm going to have to figure out what went wrong.

I had bought the phyto from the LFS. It came in a small water bottle for $6.99. I aslo bought the fertalizer which is based on the f/2 formula. I had a 1.7 litre clear orange juice container that I had rinsed out and let dry. I poured the phyto from the water container into the orange juice container. I then added my pre mixed RO/DI saltwater @ 1.019. I then added 19 drops of the fertalizer using the tools provided as per the instructions. I placed the airline in the bottle and started to bubble the mix. I had it bubbleing pretty fast but the bubbles were not collecting at the top like a skimmer. I placed the bottle in front of 2 20W flourecent tubes that I had from an old hood. The lights were on a 16 hour timer.

Anyway if you see something I messed up let me know.

I picked up the Clownfish last night and read to about page 100. I have not read anything from the breeding section yet but am looking forward to it.

Things I have to grow the fish out.

1 brine shrimp hatchery
2 10 gallon tanks
1 20 gallon tank
1 50w heater
1 air pump
1 4 way air valve
1 aqua clear 200 (don't know if this will be useful)
A euro-reef RS135 skimmer (got a great deal on it but have not bought the bigger tank for it yet).
I have a couple of maxi-jets lying around to use as needed.

If I can get the fry to grow I will buy more tanks as required. I don't want to put to much money out until I'm sure it's somthing I can and am willing to do.

I ordered the live rotifers from the LFS and have to pick them up on Wednesday. I will have to buy some phyto to feed them until I can get my culture going.

Any words of wisdom or suggestions would be great. I will probably have to let this batch go as I will probably not be ready. But atleast I know they like the tile I placed in the tank.

Thanks

FB
Old 01/08/2008, 07:26 PM
10 & Over Club

Sounds like your getting a good start. As for your phyto, did it get nice a dark looking before it yellowed? Based on the time frame, I think it peaked and started dieing back. Usually it only takes a week from inoculation to a culture being ready for harvest. At this point you really need to harvest regularly to keep the culture in the exponential growth phase. Depending on how far gone it is, and what phyto it is, you might be able to renew that culture by putting a couple of ounces into a fresh bottle of medium.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/09/2008, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Congrats on the spawn and on them taking to a tile

I had the same trouble with the nanochloropsis culture that I bought in bulk. I had better luck with a culture disk:

https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/...=LIVE_CULTURES

Several people have mentioned too, that it's a whole lot easier and less mess to just use the algae paste, so that is what my main food source for my rotifer culture is.

Also, be sure and check out the links on the stickied thread at the top of this forum.
"Carpe Oceanus" (sieze the seas)
Old 01/09/2008, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

What are you refering to when you talk about algae paste.

Out of curiosity how much phyto do the rotifers go through. I was thinking of buying phyto until I can get a culture going to keep the rotifers to atleast try to raise this batch.

What do you guys recommend a batch rotifer culture or the continuous. The book recommends the batch to start.

Thanks

FB
Old 01/09/2008, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

"algae paste" refers to concentrated microalgae in a bottle:

https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/...ICHMENT_DIETS+

http://www.reed-store.com/?category=46&subcategory=29

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/...Pastes-c6.html
"Carpe Oceanus" (sieze the seas)
Old 01/09/2008, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the links.

If I am successful I was thinking about getting 6 30 gallon tanks and connecting them all together in seiries. The last tank would have some sand and live rock in half and then my RS135 in the other half. The water would then be pumped back to the first tank. This way each tanks water would keep being recycled the live rock and sand would process nutrients and the skimmer would pull out everything else. Now that I'm typing this I guess it would be exactly like most fish stores. I imagine this would be a good system to grow them out to size in.

FB