Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

closed loop for 90 gallon?

I was forced to take down my 90 gal tank about 2 yrs ago and thankfully i can set it back up know. I learned a lot from the mistakes i had last time and would like to make the set up better this time. One of the things i was thinking about was drilling my 90 gal rr for closed loop since powerheads take up too much room in the tank. Question is what the placements of the feed and return should be and what would be the best pump for the job. I have searched all the 90 gallon builds and can not seem to find anyone who has drilled for closed loop. I would like to get maybe 30x turnover in tank what would be the best pump to do this. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be great.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

im in the same boat, not literally. i want to here this one. cmon guys lets here it!!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I am sure there is a 90 gal build thread that someone did use closed loop i just cant find it. until i do premium membership i cannot search.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

searching is free
http://reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11
Old 01/11/2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the link but i still cant seem to find much. I would like something or someone to show me ideal hole locations for closed loop if it even matters? What would be best option for a closed loop pump for circulation and noise?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Being that it is for a 90 gal what would you do if you could drill closed loop or just put in powerheads?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Try Melv's Reef Site.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

I checked his site before and could only find the over the top closed loop he did. Melev's site is amazing lots of information i always check there first since usually i will find the answer. I want to drill for the closed loop and try and get all needed flow from closed loop and return no powerheads. I am not sure how to go about that since i have never tried to do a closed loop before never even seen the plumbing for one in person.