Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/09/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Lexan Silicone - Aquarium Safe ?

I picked up some Lexan brand silicon in the acrylic section at The Home Depot. Is this stuff aquarium safe? I want to use it on glueing an acrylic sheet base to the PVC body, so it will be well cured before it meets water. (Can't get any Weld-on 40)

Also, are any of the 2-part epoxy's aquarium safe? The Home Depot stocks a lot of the "Loctite" brand.

Thanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

i used the Lexan brand silicone with no problems... it is 100% silicone with no mold inhibitors...
Old 01/09/2008, 07:07 PM
Can't be listed on **

If you read the label the lexan silicone is not for acrylic it is for lexan and other plastics.

Kim
Old 01/09/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Lost in Tanks.

Actually Lexan is just a brand name of acrylic. The bottles says it can bond any polycarbonate or glass, such as: Lexan polycarbonate, glass, PC, PVC, fiberglass, metals, and abraded rubber.

To be honest I didn't believe that at first, but I just used it and WOW this stuff is sticky! It beats the heck out of my All-Glass "Aquarium" silicon.

The Loctite epoxy question is still up in the air. I don't see why it wouldn't be fine, but I'd like to make sure first.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:55 PM
Can't be listed on **

Actually Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate, not acrylic.

Kim
Old 01/09/2008, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

let me ask is lexan safe to use in a sump?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:48 PM
Can't be listed on **

As far as I know the lexan silicone is safe to use in a sump.

Here is thread talking about the stuff.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...lexan+silicone
Old 01/09/2008, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

what about a using lexan sheets as baffels in the sump?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:58 PM
Can't be listed on **

Will work just as well as using acrylic sheets. I don't know if polycarb will absorb more water or less though. One thing about polycarb it is more flexible than acrylic so it will bow a lot more if has any pressure on it.

Kim
Old 01/10/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Yes, it is Lexan is actually Polycarbonate. And acrylic is actually Polymethyl methacrylate. They are extremely similar, put polycarbonate is much stronger (and much more expensive) than acrylic. Because the GE made Lexan Silicone works on Polycarbonate, it will also work on the Acrylic since it is weaker and easier to bond.

Wikipedia also states:
"Lexan leaches bisphenol A, a chemical that some studies linked to cancer. These studies indicate exposure to low levels of BPA causes a range of serious health effects in laboratory animals.[1] An expert panel of 12 scientists has found that there is "some concern that exposure to the chemical bisphenol A in utero causes neural and behavioral effects," according to the draft report prepared by The National Toxicology Program (NTP) Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction. For the general adult population, the expert panel found a "negligible concern for adverse reproductive effects following exposures."[2]"

This being said, I would avoid using it in an aquarium. Although it is probably just as good or better than acrylic... just use acrylic.