Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

That looks like a nice setup.. Congratz
Old 10/20/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Looks cool...the powder blue is sweet.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mark fanara
Looks cool...the powder blue is sweet.
Thanks again for all your complements!

yah, the Powder Blue is my tank favorite !! he always watches me when ever I am near the tank, wife thinks its hilarious.
Old 11/13/2007, 05:40 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Looks like you have one vortech set up pretty high and the other a bit more mid level. Hows that work with the flow?

Much gravel disturbance or other issues? Whats the movement like? Is the outer magnet part submersible? Just wondering, it would be kind of neat to put them on the overflow portion of my tank aimed at more of an angle.

Thinking I need more movement in my tank, looking at the different avenues to achieve that.
Old 11/13/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
Looks like you have one vortech set up pretty high and the other a bit more mid level. Hows that work with the flow?

Much gravel disturbance or other issues? Whats the movement like? Is the outer magnet part submersible? Just wondering, it would be kind of neat to put them on the overflow portion of my tank aimed at more of an angle.

Thinking I need more movement in my tank, looking at the different avenues to achieve that.
Hey Kurt, I had them that way (little off set) when they were constantly both on. Less gravel disturbance that way.

They give off quite a bit of flow. If I was to keep this current setup/tank I would add one more to one of the ends for more flow.

The outer magnets are solid metal with large spinning magnet inside of it and they get very hot, not submersible.

For "cheap" more flow maybe add a Resun Waver-15000? I like mine.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

some updated photos, more to come soon-

with newer orange hammers

Prism Favia

Armor of God - Palythoa

Lunar Eclipse - Palythoa

Purple People Eater - Palythoa

Last edited by Brent Thomann; 01/09/2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:58 AM
...this is only a test...

Fantastic definition in those pictures.... well done!!
Old 01/09/2008, 07:08 AM
Registered Reefer

Nice Job!!!

The answer is always no if you never ask the question.....
Old 01/09/2008, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

That's a awsome setup. I really like the unique aquascape and frag system.
What's your maintenance schedule like?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:45 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Looks good, wheres the new full tank shot since you have stocked it?

I see the Powder blue looks to be chasing the Hippo, do you notice that a lot? Mine seems to do the same thing especially right before the lights go out at night.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Love the close up Palythoa pics!
Old 01/09/2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Brent,

Tank looks great man. I love your aquascaping with the Tongan Branch.

How are your new acan's doing. The small little frag I got is starting to open up, once it starts growing I will frag it for you.

Jeff
Old 01/09/2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Looks terrific.Vibrant corals,great photos.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Thank you all very much for the complements. I actually lost some definition in the pictures while reducing the file sizes. I like to try and keep them around 100KB so they're internet friendly.

Still have a lot to learn with the camera, its my fathers and I kind of took it over on him. He was really injured in a snowmobile accident 2 years ago and his hand doesn't work anymore so he's not in the hobby as much. He has a studio in his basement that I'd like to figure out some day too. If you're a boater down at Gateway Harbor you probably met him. He setup & took all the photos on http://wnyboaters.com

woodwonders: I usually find myself fiddling with things about every night or two, at least with the corals. Real maintenance though- 55 gal water changes every two weeks. Change filter bag and check water parameters once a week. Refill Kalk Reactor every 3 or 4 weeks. Refill CA Reactor every 3 or 4 months. Refill auto fish feeder once ever 2 months. Once a year I'll clean all my pumps. I think thats it?

Kurt: actually there isn't as much in the tank at the moment. I have removed all the leathers and replaced them with overgrown acro frags from frag tank. My Powder blue tang doesn't bother any of the fish, he plays with them which is funny to watch. I only have a problem with my Purple and Yellow tang once in a while, purple bullys the yellow.

otiso777: thanks, Palythoas are one of my favorites.

jjj1100: thanks for the kind words especially coming from someone who has quite the amazing setups! Acans are doing really good. Yes, I'd REALLY like a frag of it. I kinda got the short end of that stick, especially being the first one to say they wanted a frag of it and waiting around for over 3 hours. Sorry Randy, still luv ya. ...We should call it the Red Bull Acan (LOL Kurt's 2 year old during acclimation)

thank you also Tom. Would like to see pics of your tanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Brent,

I love that name....RedBull acan is yours as soon as its fragable. I hate to say it, but that might have been the micromussa. the heads are no bigger than a pencil eraser. I wish I could post pics but my camera is horrendous.

Its fully open and doing well and I give you my word, once it starts growing out you are FIRST in line.

Its kinda sad, as I type this, I am drinking a red bull...god i have an addictive personality...now its caffeine
Old 01/09/2008, 07:44 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Just to be clear, she did not pour Redbull into the acan acclimation container...though the look on Randys face would have been worth buying the shipment. That would have just been dosing them with sugar, I think they would have lived.

I have not decided if the fish are playing or trying to determine dominance, its tough to say. Was watching them a bit ago and the PB, Naso, and Hippo were all playing follow the leader with the hippo in front. Those guys can really fly even through the rockwork.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
Just to be clear, she did not pour Redbull into the acan acclimation container...though the look on Randys face would have been worth buying the shipment. That would have just been dosing them with sugar, I think they would have lived.

I have not decided if the fish are playing or trying to determine dominance, its tough to say. Was watching them a bit ago and the PB, Naso, and Hippo were all playing follow the leader with the hippo in front. Those guys can really fly even through the rockwork.
ha I know, it was only water. I think Randy almost pasted out at first.

Its fun to watch them play follow the leader. My Powder Blue is always the leader.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

I really love what you did. Having the tonga branches, and then most of the coral on top, really gives the tank a deep sea forest or cave feel.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Thomann
ha I know, it was only water. I think Randy almost pasted out at first.
From where I was standing, there was a yellow sticker on the bucket underneath the Acclimating bin. It looked like a puddle of Red Bull and the Acans were sitting in it.

I guess I must have looked pretty shocked. But I can laugh about it now.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

BTW Brent,

This picture is awesome.

Old 01/10/2008, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

great pics
Old 01/11/2008, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

more to come, I hope you enjoy

P.S. I got them all the past 8 or 9 months locally from RandyO @ AReefCreation.com

Last edited by Brent Thomann; 01/11/2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:57 AM
Premium Member

Old 01/11/2008, 12:58 AM
Premium Member

Old 01/11/2008, 12:59 AM
Premium Member