Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

new tank questions

I was in pet mart yesterday and Kenny offered me the oceanic tech 120 for a price I could not refuse. I am taking my time getting it all set up as I have my 90 running.I really wanted to put a sump in basement but I have a older home and the hardwood floors are in great shape and they are almost 100 years old so do not really want to drill holes in them.I am looking for reccomdation on a great sump with refuge.I am going to reuse my skimmer it is a MRC-2 and I have no complaints.Thanks in advance for the help,Scott
Old 01/09/2008, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

why dont you just go through the wall with the plumbing if you dont want to go through the floor??
Old 01/09/2008, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

thought of it but they are paster walls and the place I am putting the tank has our fireplace on the other side of the wall.It has the chimney running in the wall.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

lol free heat...lol...that is a bummer.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:19 PM
Killer of Giants

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT THAT THING!!!! That's reeeeally an awesome tank! Congrats!

My buddy's going back friday. I may have him pick a little something up for me too.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:36 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Look around the basement and see if there are any extra pieces of the hardwood from when the built the house. If there is, its not hard to fix the spots you drill holes.

I have extra wood for mine so did not mind drilling the holes.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

what are you gonna do with the 90?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Capt ya got it but man I gotta tell you the starfire glass on that thing is so thick and that is very heavy. I can pretty much match the hardwood if I had to but I do got to be honest really do not even have a clue how to do a basemnt sump lol.
Mattowen I will sell the 90 but it will probaly be a month or so before I am ready...Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 05:12 PM
Killer of Giants

Awwww, poor you! your STARFIRE GLASS is too heavy. You're killin me with your problems
Old 01/09/2008, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

capt lol I know I will not mind the weight of it when I am done but as I carried it I was saying holy cow. I just am taking my time before I move everything into I want to make sure I have everything set-up as close to perfet as I can.I am even thinking of hooking up a inline U V. If I could win the lottery I would even put the tunze powerheads on it but we will have to see....Scott
Old 01/09/2008, 06:14 PM
Killer of Giants

pictures!!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 08:28 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I checked out that Oceanic Tech myself. Nice.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

yeah I think I got the old lady talked into letting me start the collection of stuff required for an upgrade. So a month is fine, it would be longer than that before I'm ready anyway. Is it 4' long? Drilled? Pics? I see you have some of the 72 in the gallery but none of the 90.

Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

That is a sweet tank I'm going to have to give Kenny a call tomorow and take a ride up there friday. I want an 55rr for fish only.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Ya the 90 is 4 foot long and drilled. It is a oceanic and has the corner overflow. It is light oak and in very good condition.When the time comes I will also be getting rid of the tide poool sump that is under the cabinet.....Scott
Old 01/09/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

hmmm more interested...

any thoughts on how much you'll be wanting it?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Mattowen I sent you a PM..
Old 01/10/2008, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

You don't have a short length of the hardwood near the tank do you? If so, and there isn't underlayment, you could take up a short whole board, run your return, etc through it and fill with foam, styrofoam, etc. When you move the tank, replace the board....Especially cool if it is hidden behind the tank

Just a thought as I have been thinking about the same thing.
Funny thing I came up with a resolution just in time to have to move

Good luck