Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2006, 07:46 PM

I did some research when I was building my system and I still have an outlet on my manifold reserved for an exchanger if needed.

The best price for a system my size was from Cool Reef at $550 for the titanium CRHX-105.

Another good source is Aqua Logic. They have a good quality product.
Old 08/12/2006, 07:53 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally posted by nyvp
[B]Tank with the ceramic corals and a nice stag

Is this going to be a reef or FOWLR?

Either way, looks like its going to be an awesome tank.
Old 08/12/2006, 08:31 PM
SPS Freak

I would imagine with decorator pieces, it wouldn't be a reef. Those pieces if I recall aren't cheap like base rock. I've seen some amazing Fish only tanks with decorator pieces. The nice thing is you don't need the amount of turn over as with a reef.

Maybe I didn't read it yet but are you going to wrap the frame? It would be killer if it was wrapped in granite too
Old 08/12/2006, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

It's too bad you can't countersink the tank into the granite surface so that the foam doesn't show so much. I'm still jealous though
Old 08/12/2006, 08:43 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally posted by bubblethumper
It's too bad you can't countersink the tank into the granite surface so that the foam doesn't show so much. I'm still jealous though
He's putting a granite trim around it to cover the foam/tank trim.
Old 08/12/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Wow...I thought I was cool with my 29 gallon tank that I will be starting after I take the MCAT.

9 tons of water...holy ****.

TP
Old 08/12/2006, 10:01 PM
Moved On

hey joe i just want to tag along and see you progres is cool having a big tank i hope one day i get my dream tank (gorga acuarium ) wow i can wait to billgate clame me as his only son lol
Old 08/13/2006, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Awesome project! I have to tag along to see how this turns out...
Old 08/13/2006, 09:30 AM
no time for spell check!

jnarowe those exchangers are not bad but you can diy one cheaper using titalum tubes for the exchanger and acrylic for the rest. and you would end up with alot bigger exchanger.
Old 08/13/2006, 10:22 AM

I never even thought about building one myself. Where do you get the tubing? Do you have a link to a DIY version?
Old 08/13/2006, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Jeez I go to the islands for a weekend ( ABACO)and come back to 2 pages of questions and thoughts.

OK let me try to answer them as best as I can. Of coarse this is a work in progress, and all your thoughts are MOST appreciated.

The tank will be a mixed reef tank. Those resin pcs were bought at a frag swap here in Florida for only $50 for all of them. I'm going to use them to put my rock on as a structure to hold my base to make it interesting.

Spazz you should know what skimmer it will be..... your the one who's building it

The granite edging will be in at the end of the week. I will start with the plumbing this week.

jay24k wrapping the entire stand in granite wouldn't be cost effective i belive.

as of the thought on the cistern. I think I will start with my 1000g and see what happens from there. Two things you guys didn't take into account.

1- I'm going to turn the cistern over 2-3 times an hr. This will solve the stag water problem

2- I don't think the ground is that cold all year round in south Florida. I was told 75 degree's.( I will have to check) I've been told that the cistern will not shed off as much heat as if it was 500ft of small tubing. We will have to see on that one.

As said earlier in my posts I see it as that the worst thing that will happen is I will double my total water volume. This will be a buffer effect at the least. What I mean by that is it will take longer to heat and cool( more stable). It will keep ammonia and nitrites levels diluted and lower.
At the best I see a 2 HP chiller will cost me 2k in cost and $75/month in electric.

The Cistern will cost me $700 and zero in monthly costs. So this is the direction I'm going to start with and see what happens from there. I have 4 -250 watt won heaters set to go in the cistern as a way to combat if its to cold. Again this really hasnt been done before so its a wait and see situation.

Thanks for all the thoughts and praise please keep them comming.
Old 08/13/2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

It's been a while since I read through this thread, but this is a system utilizing a cistern like what you are doing. Perhaps you can cull some information from this or get in touch with the thread's author if you have any questions.

Herpevet's project thread

This link is to his gallery. You can look on page 5 and see the cistern. He buried it in his basement.

Herpevet

Last edited by CoralFiend; 08/13/2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08/13/2006, 10:48 AM

First off the cistern will not lose heat quickly if it is indoors and only turned over 3 - 4 times. It takes 2 hours (avg. depending on ambient temp.) for my system to drop just one degree F with fans blowing over it. If it is outdoors, then that is another matter but if it is well covered, you may still not see much faster temp. change. If it is in the ground, it will always be trying to equalize with the soil temp. and you may end up with your heaters working 24/7. My only concern with the cistern connected to the system is the probability that something will colonize it and you won't be able to control it. Specifically, if aptaisia take up residence, you could have a serious problem. So I would say you need EASY access to the entire vessel. And there is no such thing as zero monthly costs! You will have to keep it in salt, calcium, alk. at the minimum, as well as devise some method to keep it clean.

And I don't usually disparage products but I would highly recommend you get rid of the Won heaters. First of all, they are not powerful enough anyway for that size system. And second, every single person I personally know that has had Won heaters has had failures. I am eager to see how this turns out and what changes you may make to the design, if any. The idea of a connected cistern is interesting indeed, although if it were me, I would be trying to turn it into a giant refugium habitat.
Old 08/13/2006, 11:22 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I never even thought about building one myself. Where do you get the tubing? Do you have a link to a DIY version?
bill wann gave me the idea for it. you just use straight titanium tube and get a bunch of plastic compression fittings. he had a thread started about it and one of the reef central moderators deleted the thread because it had a pic of a ca reactor in the background. so the thread is lost. thats also why bill got booted off reef central. so i cant send you a link on it. but all you need is 1/2" titanium straight tubes and an acrylic case for the water jacket. simple, easy to build and very effective.
Old 08/13/2006, 11:58 AM

sounds simple enough. how do you get booted for a picture of a reactor?? that doesn't sound right. I mean there's thousands of posts of reactors on RC!
Old 08/13/2006, 12:05 PM
Moved On

i guess i will get really kick out of here cus of this

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

sorry nyvp i just want it to show as a example i will be making my diy chiller really soon i have all the parts allready i just have not the time to put it together
Old 08/13/2006, 12:56 PM

thesaent14: Love your work! That is a great thread.
Old 08/13/2006, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

tagging alone.love the granite look.i'm putting together a 375 veiwable from three sides.

looks great....
Old 08/13/2006, 05:57 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
thesaent14: Love your work! That is a great thread.
thanks i am glad you guys like it i have more coming lots of projects i have not the time to lode all the pictures
Old 08/13/2006, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

huge tank!
Old 08/13/2006, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

thesaent14- sorry nyvp I just want it to show as a example

No worries thesaent14 my thread is your thread.

CoralFiend -yes thank you for the thread link. I have read that thread a couple of time very helpful.

spazz- please send me a link to the exchanger

jnarowe- The cistern will be buried in the ground. As I mentioned I belive the ground temp is pretty high here. From what I've heard its closer to 75-78. When I did the hole I will measure it as I dig.

daywn- thanks for the compliments wait and see next week when its finished with the add granite molding
Old 08/13/2006, 08:07 PM
SPS Freak

I know it would be too expensive but would be cool. Are you planning on wrapping it or leaving it nice and open?
Old 08/13/2006, 08:29 PM

to be honest, 75 - 78 really isn't that bad. I let my reef get down to 76.5F at night.
Old 08/13/2006, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

jay24k-
if you look back on page 4 you will see jeffbrig's tank with the kitchen cabinets that I hope to install. ( unless my wife changes her mind... I mean my mind : )

jnarowe- That's why I wont make a decision till I dig the hole and take a temp at different heights and at differnt times of the day.
Old 08/13/2006, 09:50 PM
Moved On

joe give me a call i have a good diy for a chiller i have parts to