Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

remora c skimmer acting up again../w a vengance

i posted about a month ago,about my skimmer filling up the cup pretty fast,now its doing it again.but now this time its filling up within minutes and its even clearer.same as last time,nothing has changed.i dont put my hands in the tank after washing them,with lotion,nothing like that.
the livestock hasnt changed.im just at the end of my wits with this one.

the last time i posted,i was told to contact customer service for remora,which i did,with good replies back.but,made sure it was any of the obvious,and then he said "well something has to be affecting the surface tention of the bubbles.k,what?
Old 12/27/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

It sounds like the remora itself. Mine did the same thing so I sent it back to Aqua C and they ran it on their tank and it did the same thing. They sent me a brand new one and I have been happy with the new one ever since. They do have faulty units from time to time. Stand your ground and let them try it. I took mine and put it on a bucket of fresh water and it did the same thing. Try that and then call them. It should not even foam in FW.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

There are lots of things that can overactivate a skimmer - hopefully this is the issue, since it'll be much easier to solve than having to return the skimmer! I doubt it's the unit itself, since you mention that it was doing this a month ago, and now it's doing it again - was its performance normal in the period between episodes?

Some things to consider...

Are you using a dechlorinator? What brand? AmQuel and Prime are great, neither will overactivate your skimmer, but many other brands will. Anything containing 'slime coat' or aloe is a sure bet, but many others have hidden ingredients that cause major skimming headaches.

Is anyone spraying perfume, air freshener or cleansers/polishers in the room? Are you burning scented candles, using anything else scented in the room? This might affect the skimmer.

Has the room recently been painted? Paint fumes make skimmers go crazy.

What are you feeding? Some foods have additives that can overactivate or stop skimmers. If you're using supplements, there's a chance that might be the issue, depending on what type.

Have you added any medications or other preparations to the tank? Things like MelaFix can really cause problems, and some antibiotics or other meds will make the skimmer play up as well.

Have you done a water change? There might even be something in your water that's making this happen. Just throwing some ideas out there, hope it helps.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the replies.damn ACBlinky you really threw some out there.lol,but thank you.actually,the only thing that would be a yes on that list is we did burn a candle the other night,but is that really enough to affect the tank water enough to affect the skimmer? and even then,it was a few days ago.im not trying to say youre wrong,just wanna make sure.

i have thought about maybe the skimmer faulting or something,but with a spray induction system,i dont see what could fail.and still,it wouldnt make bubbles if the water didnt want to.example,dish soap will only re sud so many times before its broke down all the way.and like like i was saying,its spray inducted or whatever,spray water into a bucket,it only bubbles up th water to a point then its just the same.

and im not sure i could even return it as idont have any kind of receipt,that was like a year ago.

ps.i use rodi water,inline electric tds meter reads 0,food is the same as always,pretty much every thing is.i do move powerheads time to time causing sand to be shifter here and there,but i dont see that as it either etherwise it would be quite a bit darker.i would think.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Put it in a bucket and see if it does it with just plain ro water. I bought mine and did not have a receipt when they exchanged it. I bought mine off Ebay and they took care of me. We burn candles in the house all the time and it does nothing to the skimmer.

Did you call Aqua C and talk to Steve? He is always very helpful. Mine would fill within 1 minute with clear bubbles and water for no reason......they just gave me a whole new unit. Had the new one for over a year now and it always works like it should.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Hmm, well if you answered 'no' to everything above, it might well be something wrong with the unit. Each Remora is built by hand, so they're all slightly different, and I'm sure there's a lemon every now and then (just like any other product). Try contacting the company to see if you can get some advice and/or a replacement, they're known for their great customer service
Old 12/28/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

at this point im going to go with a water change.just doesnt make sense to what would be making the skimmer skim so fast,and if its spray induction,any malfuction would cause it to make less bubbles......

although i just now thought that maybe if the injector was bad,say too big now from the time having water sprayed through it,maybe its just pushing the bubbles that it is making up too fast.

hmm,maybe i have no idea what im talking about.i just know even beyond the skimmer,water doesnt doesnt just bubble over on its own.as i stated in earlier post if you spray water into a bucket,it will only creates so many bubbles.just my thoughts.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Well I tried. It would be very simple to run in a bucket. Trust me mine filled the cup with tap water over and over again in a bucket. People are trying to help but you don't want to try the advice of someone who had the exact same problem???? As to spraying water into a bucket......if you spray water from a hose into a bucket it will continue to bubble until the source stops.....

I'm done..........Good luck.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Call them, mine works flawlessly, I called them a few times and they have always helped me big time. There are many aqua c haters here, and mostly for no good reason. They work great once they break in. Yours may just be bad from the get go.