Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/05/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Flame Angel w/Pygmy-any chance?

I have an established Flame Angel in a 75 gl FOWLR tank. The Flame is appx 3 1/2 inches. Any chance that I could add a Pygmy Angel? I can hear the screaming now and I probably have no chance, but what are the thoughts out there? I would love to add a pygmy as they are beautiful fish, I need another fish other than red/orange in color and they are small. Thanks.
Old 04/05/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

haha very funny because i have the exact setup exept mine is a 75 reef insead of FOWLR though, and i have a flame and a pigmy angel. When i first put the pigmy in the flame did nip at him and chase him around but i have enough liverock for the pigmy to hide in. After a few days he started to come out and ate and was very active. Now they both live with eachother just fine, but i would advise that you make sure at the pigmy is eating at the LFS. I work at the one that i bought mine at so i made sure he was doing great. best of luck
-brady
Old 04/05/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

You have given hope to the hopeless. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has experience with this, I'm sure it will be helpful.
Old 04/05/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

i have seen a flame and a coral beauty in a 90g. it took a while but they were ok
Old 04/06/2007, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Seawolf,
When you say it took awhile, what time frame are you talking about? Days? Weeks? What was the damage?

Thanks.
Old 04/06/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

I have a flame and a pygmy in a 125, the pygmy was added first. When I added the flame, he chased the pygmy for a day or two, but after that, they were good.
Old 04/06/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I added a Lemon Peel after I had my Pygmy and they have gotten along fine. The Lemon Peel is much bigger then the Pygmy and was added last but I still thought there might be more problems but so far so good.
Walt
Old 04/06/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I have three large angels in a 55g QT tank! They get along good, the emperor is the boss though and will chase the gray if he is near. The queen and the emperor I swear knew each other before getting to me, somehow haha, because they are best buds. It is definitely possible. When you add the pygmy in, I would rearrange the live rock so it disturbs the flames home and his territory. That way it is like adding them in at the same time almost. Just keep a watchful eye on them.
Old 04/06/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

I have the Pygmy in the 75g for about 5-6 months then added Med FA and 3 weeks later added 3 more FA (XS,S,L) but the XS didn't made it and was the weakest one I received in the shipment. The Pygmy chases the Sm Flame but the Lg Flame will chase the Pygmy. They have been together since last Nov and all seem to be doing well.
Old 04/06/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis1158
Seawolf,
When you say it took awhile, what time frame are you talking about? Days? Weeks? What was the damage?

Thanks.
i could be wrong but the pygmy is not as aggressive as most dwarfs. the CB and the flame took about 3 weeks to get along with the flame winning most battles. dont get me wrong when it comes to feeding the more aggressive fish can become nasty regardless of how well they get along normally. i dont see a problem as long as you have enough rock work and swim space(JMO). good luck.
Old 04/06/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

if you add the pygmy and have too many problems you could try changing your rock formation.
Old 04/06/2007, 01:23 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by xxseawolf
i could be wrong but the pygmy is not as aggressive as most dwarfs. the CB and the flame took about 3 weeks to get along with the flame winning most battles. dont get me wrong when it comes to feeding the more aggressive fish can become nasty regardless of how well they get along normally. i dont see a problem as long as you have enough rock work and swim space(JMO). good luck.
The Pygmy may actually be the most aggressive of the Centrgype angels
Old 04/07/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Received a response from wetwebmedia. They advised against pairing the flame and pygmy (np surprise there-I did appreciate the response). However, my plan is to add live rock (have the room) to the one side of tank to create more hiding spaces. Flame has his spot on the left side, I will redo the right. I was having trouble with my yellow tang chasing the flame until I rearranged the live rock to give everyone their own spot. Worked like a charm. Looks like I'll get this done in May and keep my fingers crossed. It does seem that people have had success with both a flame and pygmy in a 75 gl, so whom I am to say it can't be done. Thanks for all the advice and let me know if there are any others with a similar issue.
Old 04/07/2007, 04:43 PM
Guardian of Little People

My advice would be to listen to wetwebmedia. I am baffled why people want to artificially create situations guaranteed to create stress for their fish.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 04/07/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Good point.
Old 04/09/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

I received some more advice on my situation. Advised to change every piece on live rock prior to introducing the pygmy so every fish is on the same "playing" field. Still debating, but might help. Has anyone else tried this and has it succeeded?
Old 04/10/2007, 12:06 AM
Aquarium Addict

I usually rearrange some rock when I try such an addition. By the way I have a Coral Beauty and I added a Flame Angel. The CB chased the FA for a couple of days, but they get along fine now.
Old 04/10/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

I reacently added a Potters Angel to my tank that has a flame angel in it and so far they almost completely ignore each other.
Old 04/10/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Did you rearrange the live rock, do anything different or just add the fish? How long was the flame established? Any help is appreciated
Old 04/10/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

The Flame has been in the tank for about six months. I did not rearange any rock I just put the Potters in after acclimation.