Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Cherub Angel compatibility

I recently purchased 2 C. argi for my 55 gal. My question is will they co-exist in a 55? I am hoping they will pair up or at least hang together. They have been in my 10 gal isolation tank for a week without incident until yesterday I norticed the one swimming along the surface and looking beat up. I then noticed the slightly larger one was definetely harassing the other. I have seperated the two by putting the smaller one in a plastic strainer and leaving the lights off. Also in the isolation tank is a false perc and a firefish. Currently in he 55 is a false perc, blue damsel and a yellowtail damsel. I do not want to add anything to the 55 until they have spent a month or so in isolation/quarantine. Would it be a problem to put one in the fuge until they all get introduced in the main tank? Should I give one to a friend?
Thanks
Walt
Old 01/23/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Should I give one to a friend?
They may eventually get along but angels aren't real tolerant of their own species. Even though it's small that tank is "just about right" & figures it's "all mine".

I've had one for about 6 years. It's never overly agressive but if any fish tries to stop it from roaming the entire tank (150) it will NOT back down. Size seems irrelevant, it just has no fear. It doesn't try to be the tank boss, just wants to roam wherever it sees fit at the moment.

Tells me it wouldn't be too happy with another C. argi in the area.
Old 01/23/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

If you bought two that are close in size expect their to be alot of fighting. I would return one of them and get another that is smaller. My pair was bought as a large and small and I had no problems. After about 3 month's I had my first spawning.

Carl
Old 01/23/2007, 09:19 PM

Walt,

I'm pretty sure you have two males. One will have to go back. ASAP It has been recently shown that males can actually revert to female, but more likely the less dominant male will just be killed.

If you can find one less than 3/4 of an inch from nose to tail tip, you might try again. (If your fish actually are this size, keep the smaller and find a larger one to pair it with) Generally you won't see anything other than a little chasing between a male & a female. If one fish is cornered up at the top of the tank, consider them incompatible.

Sometimes they will get along initially like when they are getting used to a new environment. But once the dominant fish is feeling like himself again, he will make life impossible for the other, literally.

Also, the isolation/pairing tank you have I assume is full of lots of places to hide

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 01/24/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will try and find a smaller or larger specimen. I would say they are both about 1"-1 1/4" in size. One is seperated in a strainer in the iso tank. These were ordered on line and I had hoped to get a smaller and a larger one if possible. I will keep checking the LFS for Cherub's.
One more question - would a different dwarf angel be compatible if it was a differnt size and color like a flame, lemonpeel or rusty etc. Walt
Old 01/24/2007, 12:39 PM

Should be fine as long as you add them all at the same time - I wouldn't put them in the 10g together though -

One of your 1 1/4 inch cherubs should be fine with a 3/4 inch one.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 01/24/2007, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

I purchased my pair as Marie suggests, a 1 1/4" and a 3/4".

Carl
Old 01/25/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Marie and Carl thanks for the advice. I will take traded one in for a smaller one once they are done with quarantine. I will place the one Cherub in the fuge while the other is in Qt and release them together when ready.
Marie- Do you have experience with pairs of firefish? I saw a listing that they can be kept in small groups so I looked in Bob Fenner's CMA and it aslo states the can be kept as pairs. One smaller and one larger might work it seems.
Thanks again,
Walt