Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2005, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

fish for my 55

I only have 3 fish now...a yellow tang, a small percula clown(half stripe) and a stupid yellow damsel. I am wanting to add fish with lots of color, relatively easy to take care of, and non aggressive, and reef safe...I know what My Marine Fishes book says...just wanted some advise from experience....

Thanx in advance
Old 12/28/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

I think fire fish, bangai, pseudocromis purple, royal gramma, six line wrasse and some kind of gobies....

You have a world to choice

Regards
Old 12/28/2005, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

I would find the Yellow Tang a more appropriate sized home before you add any more fish...surely your Marine Book says they need more room
Old 12/28/2005, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

i think a dwarf angel would be a good replacement for your tang. they swim most live easly in a 55gal and are beautiful fish.
Old 12/28/2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Yellow tangs are fine in a 55g.....had mine in one for almost 5 years, now she's in a 75g and NOT because she needed more room, just that when making the 75g aggressive, she was a better fit with those fish. Acts the same, looks the same, eats the same....so take it from experience and not what others are just repeating.

Other fish to think of; blackcap basslet or fridmani dottyback, chalk bass are cute little fish, maybe one of the shrimp gobies with it's symbiotic shrimp, what about jawfish? Cute little fish with tons of personality! (Got to have a DSB for them or be willing to make them a home with some PVC)
Old 12/28/2005, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BTTRFLYGRL
I would find the Yellow Tang a more appropriate sized home before you add any more fish...surely your Marine Book says they need more room
Yes it does...but this tang is a rescue from an uneducated purchase by a friend for a nano...It actually did perfectly fine in the nano...but I knew it needed a bigger home. My book says 75, Dr. Fosters and Smith says 50. So I kinda figured he was ok...
Old 12/28/2005, 03:29 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

I would say 55 is ok, but a 75 is better suited. As for new fish a royal gamma is really pretty and/or a dwarf angel, like a flame.

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 12/28/2005, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

I have a pseudochromis diadema in quarantine waiting to go into my 55. He is a stunning fish and eats everything dropped into the tank. Beautiful fish and they are realatively cheap.

Walt
Old 12/28/2005, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt13
I have a pseudochromis diadema in quarantine waiting to go into my 55. He is a stunning fish and eats everything dropped into the tank. Beautiful fish and they are realatively cheap.

Walt

why is your fish in qaurantine ??
Old 12/28/2005, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Because that is what you do to make sure they are healthy and parasite free.

You should quarantine all arrivals for 6 weeks in a seperate tank to ensure their well being and the well being of your tank.

If you bring in say Ich on a fish, and dump it into the main display, you will have a real problem. On the contrary, if you quarantine it, see the signs of Ich, and respond appropriately, you've saved yourself a lot of headache.

My .02
Old 12/29/2005, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Justin-- Ochi pretty much summed it up. I would always try and quarntine fish before they go into your main tank. Besides diseases it also helps to make sure your fish is eating and you can find out what he likes to eat and what he does not.

Walt
Old 12/29/2005, 06:13 PM
Go Sooners!

If the yellow tang is established, it will be hard to really add anything. They are really territorial and can be nasty.
Old 12/29/2005, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

I agree that yellow tangs can be very nasty towards certain fish like butterflies, other tangs, angels. Body shape has alot to do with it. But they can be quite calm towards other types of fish like gobies, jawfish, cardinals, damsels, etc.
Rearrange the rockwork before adding any new fish and stay away from similar body shapes and you should be fine.
Old 12/31/2005, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

cool...I didn't know that. Thats good to know though. Do I set it up like a hospital tank...or what...I'm interested in knowing how your qaurantine tank is set up, Thanx