Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2005, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

advice on RO/DI unit

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about the guy selling them. I know his feedback is good, but I really don't know much about RO/DI units. I've been buying my water from a LFS.

Here is the auction title:

Reef Aquarium RO DI Reverse Osmosis Water Filter 75 gpd
Free Shipping! Number 1 customer service, best value

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks in advance
Old 10/18/2005, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Save yourself some money...I got this one and it works fine. SH

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-AQUARIUM-10...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10/18/2005, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

This may be a silly question but is RO/DI water also good for drinking water? If I purchased a RO/DI unit could I use it for my drinking water and aquarium water?
Old 10/18/2005, 11:30 PM
Team RC Member

Yes you use the RO for drinking water and the RO/DI for aquarium water. Most good units have valves for each.
I would highly recommend the Typhoon III from www.airwaterice.com over either one suggested so far. With the Typhoon you get name brand components like a true Dow Filmtec 75 GPD 98% rejection rate RO membrane and high quality graduated micron range prefilters and solid carbon blocks.
The first e-bay unit doesn't even tell you naything about the membrane or who makes it. The second uses a membrane that requires 15 psi higher pressure to produce water than the Typhoon which only takes 50 psi, not 65. It also includes a TDS meter and pressure gauge unlike either of the others.
It includes a true engineered vertical refillable DI cartridge and standard size 10" canister that holds up to 24 oz of nuclear grade DI resin and not a clear horizontal tube you stuff some resin in and hope it works. If you compare these three units side by side component by component, the Typhoon III blows the others away every time. Its costs more but you get much more for your money.
Old 10/19/2005, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

I have to second desertrat's advice. I have the Typhoon III, it is a great unit, and the level of customer service Walter provides (before and after the sale) is outstanding. Spend the extra cash and be happy with your purchase.

Yes Amy, I am on the national marrow registry.
Old 10/19/2005, 01:02 AM
Mortar Target

Quote:
Originally posted by Juiced_RL
This may be a silly question but is RO/DI water also good for drinking water? If I purchased a RO/DI unit could I use it for my drinking water and aquarium water?

Some units come with a separate RO outlet for drinking water. Do not drink DI water. It won't kill you or anything, but it will pull ions from your body in order to equalize itself. This is how a doctor explained it to me (he phrased it much better than I did.)
Old 10/19/2005, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

Where do you see that the unit from aqua safe is rated at 65 psi? They use applied membrane with dow filmtec. It's rated at 50 psi. Are you saying the typhoon includes a tds/pressure gauge? The aquasafe units includes it as well. Bottom line is that the aquasafe works, at half the price.
Old 10/19/2005, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

I have a 45 gal and may upgrade to approx 100 gal. in a year. I would like to just stop paying $2/gal to my LFS.
For me, right now, the cost is an issue and would like to get the most for my money, but I am going to try and keep it under $150.

The airwaterice compact was my starting point, but I found the couple on ebay to be competitive for less money. Any other ideas that are near this price?
Old 10/19/2005, 09:53 AM
Fish Addict

airwaterice.com gets my vote

Don't drink RODI water b/c it tastes horrible. If you think DI water pulls ions from you you're on crack. The water doesn't pass through your gut unless your gut ain't working (aka diarrhea). You're doc isn't thinking about it. It may pull ions, but then the water gets absorbed so it's a neutral endgame. Stupid. And the other theory that you don't get needed minerals and salt--if you don't think you get enough of that from your diet, then either you're in denial or you have a very strange diet.

Make sure whatever unit you get that it has an ASOV (automatic shut off valve), uese the industry standard dow filmtec 75 or under membranes (the 100s have a much lower rejection rate), and has at least a carbon and sediment prefilter. Ideally more than just one carbon and one sediment prefilter.
Old 10/19/2005, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

^
Old 10/19/2005, 03:25 PM
Team RC Member

AquaSafe units use an Applied Membranes membrane constructed from materials supplied by Dow but its not a Dow Filmtec membrane. Applied rates their membranes to produce the rated flow at 65 psi and 77 degrees F where true Dow Filmtec membranes are rated at 50 psi and 77 F. Applied and Dow are two different membranes and there is a difference. Thats why I always recommend the Dow.
Old 10/19/2005, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

http://www.appliedmembranes.com/resi...l_tapwater.htm
Old 10/19/2005, 04:42 PM
Team RC Member

That link is to the Dow Filmtec membranes that Applied also sells but that is not the same membrane as their own. They are a manufacturer and a reseller so carry many different brands.
Again their membranes require 65 psi to produce the rated output.
Look here at the first bunch of membranes at the top. 65psi.
http://www.appliedmembranes.com/Prod.../Membranes.pdf
Old 10/20/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

AZDR- I have a 55 Fowlr and a couple polyp colonies. I am looking for your recomendation on a ro/di unit. I do 5 gallons a week water change and and a couple gallons top off. occasionally a bigger water change but am trying to stick with 5 gal every monday. I saw two models on Airwaterice the typhoon and compact. I am looking for quality over saving a couple bucks but money is money so I would like a good balance between initial cost and quality as well as replacement cost for membranes and such.
Any advice would be appreciated since I do not use a ton of water.

Thak Walt
Old 10/20/2005, 01:21 PM
Team RC Member

The Typhoon III has several advantages over the other units. One is it comes with a pressure gauge and TDS meter that the regular Typhoon or Compact does not include. If you already have these then the Typhoon would be my choice. The Compact lacks a couple of other things, one is a DI bypass valve which allows you to use RO water for drinking water or other uses that don't require DI. Another is clear housings if that appeals to you. And another is the DI is a smaller capacity and is not refillable. The replacements are $20 and require replacing more frequently so more money in upkeep. The Typhoon and Typhoon III use a large capacity refillable DI which allows you to buy bulk resin refills which are much cheaper both initially and in the long run.
I have found that I use my RO as much for drinking water, cooking and ice maker as much if not more than I do for aquarium use so things like a DI bypass become important when you add a drinking water kit.

They are all good units but if you price the individual pieces out that you may want to add later (and you will) the Typhoon III is the best investment.
I wish I had known about AWI or even Reef Central back in 1999 when I bought my Premier RO unit from Costco. It has been a great RO but by the time I added the better membrane, add on refillable DI, TDS meter...... I could have had the Typhoon III which is essentially what I have now but with Watts Premier housings!
Old 10/20/2005, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Thank you very much. My next purchase is either the Typhoon III or a remora/urchin Skimmer. I have a Pism on my fuge now so I am thinking of the Typhoon next. I do not have a TDS meter so adding that to the cost of the compact make sit much closer in price.

Thanks again

Walt
Old 10/20/2005, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I've seen some TDS meters on ebay for like $12, are these worth anything?
Old 10/20/2005, 08:55 PM
Team RC Member

Seems like the going rate for good pocket type meters is $19 to $30 but I see a couple of the Hannas for $16 and thats a pretty good deal. Hanna is a trusted name.
Old 10/20/2005, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I use the Typhoon III as well,its been going 6 months now and I average about 100 gallon a week through the system and my TDS is still 0,great unit I recommend it highly...