Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2006, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Looking For Some Help/Advice

I posted in the "New" forum but didn't really make any sense, even after I edited it, so here I am, attempt number 3 at this...

I have this tank, it's a 55G and it's FOWLR, has been for 5 years.

For 5 years, I've battled Nitrites. Nitrates have been fine, as with pretty much everything else.

During this fight I have ditched the crushed coral substrate, ditched the Fluval 404, ditched the HOB Wet/Dry, tried Kents Sponge, and currently only use a 5G Sump with some LR in there. I pretty much have NO filtration except the sponge filter on my Overflow, and the sponge filter on my Mag return pump.

I'm dealing with about 75PPM and can't seem to hit that magic 0PPM mark no matter how hard I try.

I was doing water changes weekly, but they were maybe 10 gallons or so, and it didn't seem to be doing anything so I changed to 30 gallon changes less often, probably every few weeks, and though it helps, I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I'm working on a new stand, so I can upgrade my sump from a 5G, to a 55G. I intend to divide the first area to force water level to full height, and re-add the Sea Clone (To be modded), then wall the center section for a DSB/Cheato/LR area which I suspect will be 75% of the volume of the sump, then teh last area will be the return pump, walled for the simple protection of limiting water in case of failure.

Is there any chance this will help me out? I'm not looking for an elaborate tank, but I'd like a host for my clown, and the only other fish I have was a yellow 2" wrasse family member, ID is uncertain.

Do you have any suggestions? I know my lights probably need replacing. For now, I'll stick to my cheapo 24" standard output flors, but replace them for spectrum correction. Any sugestions there?

I will upgrade the lighting, but can't justify it to the wife until I get params in order.

Thanks for any input!

--Phillip
Old 08/15/2006, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

What do you have in your tank? Sounds like 2 fish, no sand and some live rock?

What and how often to you feed the tank/fish? Also, what do you have by way of filtration? Sounds like just water changes?

Are you making your own salt water or buying? If making, do you use RODI water? If buying, what kind and/or are they using RODI water?

Let us know.

I'll try and give you some advice (not that my advice will help...

Gerry
Old 08/15/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

You are Right, just the 2 fish.

The tank has about 3"-4" of #0, in addition to about 80lbs of LR, plus the 30lbs of LR in the Sump.

I was doing smaller water changes weekly, but not getting anywhere, so now I do 50% (about 30 gallons) every few weeks.

I don't have a RODI, so I use Distilled water from the store. My facet water tested at 12PPM where the Distilled tested at Zero.

There are 2 sponge prefilters (HOB Overflow and Return Pump). They get rinsed weekly.
Old 08/15/2006, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

With just two fish you should have virtually no nitrites without doing anything, unless your feeding way to much. Are you sure your test kit is accurate? I would try another brand of test kit for starters. What are you feeding your fish?
Old 08/15/2006, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Two test kits, I can't remember the one, but on eof them is a Salifert.. Which I switched all my kits to.

I feed a generic marine/tropical flake, very small amount, once daily.
Old 08/15/2006, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Wow That seams pretty weird to me. If it was your Nitrates that was high, I would not worry about it. But Nitrites are poisonous to fish and corals. You are not confusing the two are you?It is easy to do. You might try asking Randy in the chemistry forum. But the short term fix is probably water changes, unless your water is the problem. Have you checked it before you use it? I think your new sump will probably take care of it, but until then I would do 20 -30 gallon water changes until you get it down.
Old 08/15/2006, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Forgive my mid-work day chemistry mistakes, I indeed meant nitrates!

Doh!
Old 08/15/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Try a different water source for a few water changes and retest in a few weeks. Also, if you don't have alot of turbulence in your tank, it might be that you have a lot of waste stuck under the rocks and stuff.. I had the same prob when i had a fowlr tank - try adding some powerheads to move the junk around so your filter can get some. I think a bigger fuge, chaeto, and skimmer upgrade would help.
Old 08/15/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I test the Distilled everytime I do a change, and it's always good. As for flow, I could take pics, but unless their needed, I'm going to skip that step.

Basically, I have the HOB Overflow feeding the 5G sump, returned by a Mag 5 by means of 1/2" PVC that extends into the tank, with holes drilled in it making a nice spray bar pattern. Also in the tank I have two other powerheads, but all 3 of these are at one end of the tank, since the tank is 3 sides viewable as a room partition.
Old 08/15/2006, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Post some pics and I'm sure there are plenty of ppl on this forum that could see the prob with a pic..worth a thousand words. Can't hurt.
Old 08/15/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so I took some pics, and they fully stink.

I just bought a D70, and know nothing about it yet

Stand by for crappy pics!
Old 08/15/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Because of the poor lighting, I am going to upload them, and link them rather than directly post them.

6MP at full size warning!
Old 08/15/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Before you view these, understand that the tank is about to be torn down, so it's a little messy, especially the sump!

Tank, Left Half:

http://www.dirt-girlz.com/images/tank/DSC_0012.JPG

Tank, Right Half:

http://www.dirt-girlz.com/images/tank/DSC_0013.JPG

Sump, Full Shot:

http://www.dirt-girlz.com/images/tank/DSC_0014.JPG
Old 08/15/2006, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

In my humble opinion, I think it is possible that maybe with a large amount of LR, you can get pockets in it where detritus and such can get trapped. You mention that you have only 2 fish; are these what you have left? Have you been losing fish regularly? If not, I agree with laverda, don't worry about it. My nitrates also used to run higher then I wanted. I never lost anything. I think with the addition of a protein skimmer and the future refugium in the works, you should be cool. As far as the water you are using, you mention you are buying distilled from the store. FYI- In front of every market are those Glacier water machines at 20 cents a gallon. I used that water for two years before I invested in RODI. If you are buying in store, you will save quite a bit using the vending machine.
BTW, I am also a desert dweller.

Helpless..Will work for frags
Old 08/15/2006, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

I am not losing fish, just not stocking, because I knew I would be "stiring the pot" so to speak, and don't want to stress anything.

My goals are for a nice little host for the False Perc, and then, jsut something in some other color spectrums, something blue, maybe purple... lol

Who knows?
Old 08/16/2006, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

I can only say that I would make some changes. What I would do or opinion. Get 3 maxijet 900 cut the nozzle off which will up the flow, maybe two. Their cheap online. RO water is best. Distilled is so so. You can use rubber maid containers for sumps and fug. there much cheaper. Lowes sells a very tough one for 20 that is like three feet long. I use one for a fug above and behind the tank. I light it with a Lights of America light. Or look in the DIY for another. Get a bigger better skimmer, g3 or g2 asm or make one. In the DIY I saw a nice 6" skimmer. I like to over skim. Dose B-ionic. Get your calicum and ph right. Where is your cleanup crew? A few crabs, scarlets and snails. I would step up to t-5's or PC's for lighting.
From the looks of your pic. You have hair algae and canyo. Canyo is usually from water flow. Hair is phoshate, water source. And instant ocean salt sucks.
Old 08/16/2006, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

I think a bigger fuge and skimmer will make the biggest difference... if you think you have skimmate now.. try a better skimmer and you'll wonder why you didn't invest in one sooner ...that seaclone is not really doing anything for you. If you can't afford one... borrow a good one for a week and you'll see how much junk you have coming out.. you'll want to save up for a better skimmer afterwards. A bigger fuge with some macroalgae should help too... get the biggest that will fit under your stand, i don't think you'll regret it.
Old 08/16/2006, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

High nitrates are not nearly the big deal some people make them out to be. The nitrates have been much higher then that, in my reef tank. I would not worry about your levels in a fish only tank at all. Some things like anemones and other things like some nitrate. Macro algae will bring it down.
Old 08/16/2006, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

billyzbear:

I will get some more flow. As for bigger sump, I'm already on it! I'm almost done with the stand, and the 55G tank is getting divided, and installed in it. The only salt I can get locally is IO, what's your preferance? As for the cleanup crew, I bought a few snails and a shrimp about 6 months ago, and that's how I determined that my Nitrates were through the roof! Now we're talking 50-75ppm.

beefjerkygood:

This whole thing is about having a fuge at all. The 5G is too small to even try, hence the 55G sump upgrade. The SeaClone isn't doing anything for me, cause it isn't installed It actaully did ok, but certainly not great. It did produce a nice dark skimmate, about 1/2 cup a week.

laverda:

Thanks to beefjerkygood, I'll have some Macro soon. I just wish I could speed up the drying times on the stand!
Old 08/16/2006, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Aquarium
billyzbear:

The only salt I can get locally is IO, what's your preferance?
Not true bro. If you can post on this thread, you can get better salt...order online.

As for me, I don't like to make my water, so I buy my water. I keep 300 Gallons of Scripps water in my garage in a holding tank. Depending on how much you use, I can also be a resource for you.

Old 08/16/2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dodgerblew
Not true bro. If you can post on this thread, you can get better salt...order online.

As for me, I don't like to make my water, so I buy my water. I keep 300 Gallons of Scripps water in my garage in a holding tank. Depending on how much you use, I can also be a resource for you.
Actually, True. The only salt sold in Ridgecrest is IO. I know that I can get anything I want by means of the internet, but up until now the endevor would have been cost prohibative to order online and pay shipping.

What/who is Scripps?

I tend to go buy 50 gallons of Distilled in the Gallon Jugs, costs me $.66/gallon.
Old 08/16/2006, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Rik,

What ever happened to Pet Oasis? I used to love going to Palmdale and see all the fish Ridgecrest "Couldn't" get.
Old 08/16/2006, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Without a skimmer you have no way of exporting any undesirable eliments from your tank. Why did you stop using it? Good luck with the new sump it should help a lot.
Old 08/16/2006, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by laverda
Without a skimmer you have no way of exporting any undesirable eliments from your tank. Why did you stop using it? Good luck with the new sump it should help a lot.
I stopped as part of an experiment.

After reading tons of pages here, I decided that I would try to go all-natural in that I wouldn't have any filtration, except that provided by nature, IE DSB, lots of LR etc.

I added the 5G sump (all that would fit) and though things sort of stabilized, I couldn't get nitrates to lower anymore.

The Sea Clone remained out of the system because of it's design, and lack of anywhere to use it, because of a bulkhead in the sump, and need for overflow/power outtage precautions, I could fill the sump high enough to use it.

Now I think I'm going to modifiy it to sit in the water, rather than HOB of the sump.
Old 08/16/2006, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Aquarium
Actually, True. The only salt sold in Ridgecrest is IO. I know that I can get anything I want by means of the internet, but up until now the endevor would have been cost prohibative to order online and pay shipping.

What/who is Scripps?

I tend to go buy 50 gallons of Distilled in the Gallon Jugs, costs me $.66/gallon.
Scripps water is pumped directly from the area surrounding the Scripps Institute in La Jolla. Same water they use at the Scripp's Aquarium.

Use the Glacier water machines. They are in front of every market in Palmdale/Lancaster, so there should be same in Rosamond, Ridgecrest/Base, etc. Only 20-25 cents a gallon. RODI, carbon filtrated and UV sterilized. I used it for a couple years with no problem!!

Pet Oasis...OOB...OUT OF BUSINESS just as they deserved!! I actually work a few doors down from where they were located. They were terrible at animal husbandry (all) and lousy bizmen.