Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2006, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Pet Oasis went out of business a few years ago. I am from Ridgecrest , and you are the first person I have seen on reefcentral to mention Ridgecrest ever. I recommend a refugium, with caulerpa {wich is sometimes difficult to order in california} or Chaetomorpha and a cheap 10$ bulb from Home Depot with 5100k to 6500k Kelvin. and get that darn seaclone working...I have one but I dont like it.... and I have a prizm skimmer and a bak pak....sucks to have 3 crappy skimmers....lol I am stuck with my skimmer for the time being......until I install the refugium. If I were you I would put a powerful powerhead in the tank and make sure the sump has good flow also.....any dead areas where detrius , uneaten food etc. can land will create nitrates. The skimmer creates oxygen, lowers nitrates, its a win win situation. The seaclone is actually good enough skimmer for your size tank and isnt as bad as people say. email me sometime if you have questions...although I dont know it all I am willing to offer advice. Nice to meet a fellow RC member from RC{reefcentral}

Last edited by xclan; 08/16/2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08/17/2006, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

I guessed you where useing IO salt. I have used it in the past until I read a post on RC with algae problems from it. At the time, I switched from Kents and had a algea problem. I get water from the ocean in SB now. Do yourself a favor and switch. Do you have a filter sock? What do you have for mech. filter? You can get a plastic file cabnet drill holes in the drawers. Put cut to fit poly filter pads in the drawers and run your over flow through it. It's really easy to change the pads and it's cheap. I would also add a few scarlet crabs.
Old 08/17/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Are scarlet crabs reef safe?

I have no mech filter, except two foam prefilters. One on my Overflow, and one on the Mag return pump.

I have 1 filter sock I received as a gift, but don't know if it's washable, so I only use it when I'm messing with the tank and the water is cloudy/dirty. Also, I had/have concerns about it becoming a Nitrate factory.

For Mech FIltration, I do own a Fluval 404 that I could use.
Old 08/17/2006, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

I like scarlets, there fine. Be careful with a pre filter on the overflow. If restrict flow. Try the poly filters or use a sock all the time. If it gets dirty clean it. Wash with some bleach extra rinse air dry.
Old 08/17/2006, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

is your nitrate test kit any good? I am in Ridgecrest and have many salifert tests kits. also lots of spare tanks, pumps, powerheads, lights, etc.....hit me up if u ever need a loaner. I can tell you one thing you need 20 times water flow of your tank volume{minimum}. example....10 gallon tank = 200 gallon per minute flow. 50 gallon tank equals 1000 gallons per minute flow. this will severely help with nitrates. No dead spots. Keep that seaclone running. I actually used mine on a FOWLR tank of 150 gallons for over 3 years with success. BTW I saw you need chaeto.....I have some here in Ridgecrest I can lend u a very small amount.....I dont have much to spare at the moment...but it will get u started, and its good at lowering nitrates.
Old 08/17/2006, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

My kits are all good. I had Red Sea, and switched to Salifert to be sure everything was on the Up and Up.

I'm pretty sure I'm good on flow. I have the Mag 9.5 (I think that's what I bought) plus 2 powerheads, a 302 and an 802.

I finished painting my stand frame lastnight, so It's almost ready to install. Do you have any, or know where I can find some silicone safe for the sump? I went to little critters, and the only tube they had was gone.

As for the cheato, I'll probably take you up on that offer net week, once the sump it finished.

Thanks!
Old 09/13/2006, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Desert...sorry i never saw this reply. hit me up on email for your number I can give you a handful of Chaeto if you need. I have given away a ton of equipmnt in the last few weeks including 2 tanks both over 100 gallons for free. Today some guy is coming to get my old seaclone 150....If I have any parts you need and i dont want I will send em your way. Also I have great refugium lights I been selling them on ebay for 25$ I sold 220 or so, I payed 7$ and can kick one down for 7$ to you. Hit me up....661-221-0318 leave voicemail because I never answer my phones...lol