Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2006, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Bi-Color Blenny vs. Clown Fish

Is is possible for my Blenny to be slowly eating both if my clown fish?! It happens at night. I'll wake up and look at my clowns and one will have a missing tail, or a fin will be ripped. I cant tell if maybe hes hungry or gets ****ed at the percs. I've stayed up a couple nights in a row trying to figure out what it could be... I havent seen anything yet. It probably happens about every other week... the baby perc seems to get beaten up a bit more often.

Before I take out my blenny I just want to make sure that its actually the fish doing the damage...

Any ideas?

TIA
Old 09/06/2006, 06:51 PM
It's all about ME!

I have blk sailfin blenny in with my true perc. NO way is he trying to nibble on him.
Clowns are/can be mean. I don't think so. Keep looking.
JMO
Old 09/06/2006, 07:07 PM
IEMAS Member

Maybe a crab is the culprit.
Predatory "hitch-hiker" crabs or shrimp can be the the death of fish/ corals.

How long has your tank been up and running? Any new rock lately?
Old 09/06/2006, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

All I have are some hermit crabs... I've been on the hunt for anything that could be the problem. Both of my percs sleep in a torch. I'v e had the tank for about a year, and all the rock came out of my 30gal tank when i down sized.

This all started happening about 4-5 months ago. My baby perc got it good this last time. I looks like something bit down on the top of his body ( It looked like a bruise) and the whole top fin was gone. Before that His under fins were ripped off.

Two to three wekks ago I woke up and my aduly perc had half of his tail fin ripped off, and a few days ago he got the center of his left side fin ripped out.

Something is going after only my clowns... Nothing has gotten the blenny and he sleeps on the sand. Just kinda odd....
Old 09/06/2006, 07:23 PM
GO DUCKS!

I think you should just give me your clowns until you figure out what is wrong with the tank.... what do you say??

did your blastos open yet?
Old 09/06/2006, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Oh yea let me just hand over my babies!!! Haha... Yea they've opened up a little bit. They're really pretty, thank you.
Old 09/06/2006, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes youve got to let the ones you love go........................
Old 09/06/2006, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

You have 2 clownfish? How old? They are probably fighting for sexual rights. How much bigger is one than the other?

Clowns like to sleep in the sand, so there could also be a possibility a hermit crab may have gotten a hit or 2.
Old 09/06/2006, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

One is a full grown adult, and was introduced into my tank first and the other one is half the size of the adult and was introduced about 7 months ago. They are buddies.

They also sleep in a torch, it's raised up off the rock a bit.

The're is for sure a posibilty that it could be something like a crab, any ideas on what kind? I've looked at night for anything out of the ordinary, but havent seen anythinhg.. then again I dont really know what i'm looking for...