Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2006, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

My GBTA Just split.

I have a 110 cube with softies, zoos, green carpet anenome, and GBTA.....just got home from work today and my GBTA split.....hope they both recover....I have only had him 3 weeks.....he has ate several times and he expanded like 8" all around...double the size he was in the store. I have him 8 inches from tank surface under 175 metal halide. Water parameters are great....except Nitrates wont come down I think its the crummy crushed coral substrate.......anyways...my 2 Tomato Clowns have been hosting in it....now they are switching back and forth between the 2...lol 1 doesnt look as healthy as the other and he is hiding under a huge Barnacle cluster ....will they survive?
Old 08/29/2006, 11:55 AM
Sushi!

Yeah, let them heal....Congrats.
Old 08/29/2006, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanks clownreef I am excited
Old 08/29/2006, 02:00 PM
Sushi!

Its amazing how anemones can just split and become two..

Wait about 2 weeks before you start feeding them again, they have to heal and taking food like silversides would be a feat right now..Maybe Karen (Finding Nemo) can chime in but here's her amazing website inc ase you have any other questions..
Old 08/29/2006, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

I have seen her sight many times. I have been reading 2 years or more about anenomes splitting hoping I would have this happen to me someday. I had been feeding both my anenomes krill and silversides every other day or so. They eat like piggies within seconds. Then my GBTA expanded and I had to move several corals because he was smack dab in the middle touching them all. He started folding into a large taco everynight with My Clowns hosting in it. All of a sudden I notice he was smaller and all puffed up today....a few minutes later I see another anenome in the back of my tank ..... really neat. One Question.....more water flow or less? He is in a spot that I can adjust the flow.
Old 08/30/2006, 07:10 AM
Moved On

Congrats xclan. Just let them heal and form there mouths then start feeding again.
Did you do the water change when you found they had split?
It helps them to heal.
Don't change the flow in the tank. They will hide to heal usually and changing it only makes them hunt for another place to heal.
Post pictures when you can.