Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2006, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Cracked 24g JBJ Nano after being setup 8-9 months!!!

To My HORROR,I awoke to find a 12 inch crack in the side of my 24g Nano reef!!!!!The tank is only about 9 months old.I know JBJ had cracking problems.Has any one else had theirs crack after having it set up that long??I called JBJ and they say the warranty is only 6 months.I told the guy I knew of the cracking problems and of course he put a manager on and He proceeded to feed me a bunch of BS about...vibrations in the walls...please,tank being next to a vent,then asked about the stand I had it on.I told him the stand was a custom stand and perfectly flat.A much better stand than junk ones they sell.Has anyone had any luck getting one warrantied if out of the 6 month warranty period??You would think a company that big would step up and stand behinf something they know was a problem.If they don`t stand behind it I will NEVER buy another JBJ product!!!!
Old 08/16/2006, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

wow,no one else has had this happen???
Old 08/16/2006, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: Cracked 24g JBJ Nano after being setup 8-9 months!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by minireefer03
I know JBJ had cracking problems
Ideally it would have been nice if jbj recalled the tanks completely. I am actually surprised they are not legally bound to do so. Maybe they are but since it’s a relatively small company and no one has pursued it. But if I had the tank and knew of the problem before hand I would have gotten a replacement long ago.
Old 08/16/2006, 08:19 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Check nano-reef.com

I have a nanocube 12dx and keep a spare 10g tank on hand just in case. It sucks, but I'm going to make my own from a 20 long with internal overflows and an area big enough for a HOB skimmer. I just have to find the time to do it.
Old 08/16/2006, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Was is one of the newer models?
Old 08/16/2006, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

It was one of the first ones I think.It doesnt have trhe serial number on the back of it.
Old 08/16/2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

I think it doesn't matter what you tell them. They will either tell you you're out of warrenty, voided your warrenty, or to go back to whom you purchased it from. I believe their policy does not involve taking car of the customer, but to pass the buck sort of speak. I've had my own set of problems with their product, and it seemed that they didn't even want to give me the time of day.

I had to buy, yes buy, replacements for the defective items they shipped. Lets just say their customer service is below Poor in my view. And if I had to do it again, I certainly wouldn't buy any of their products.
Old 08/16/2006, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

I got the same feeling thats what they were doing to me.Horrible customer service!!!!!
Old 08/16/2006, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

this sux my 24g will be here in a few days. I never knew of this issue with cracking.
Old 08/16/2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

nano-tuners sells replacement tanks... if it helps
Old 08/16/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

xclan, so far I haven't heard of any new tanks cracking. I have one set up now and have had no problems. I would make sure it has a late 05 to present production date, and a serial number.
Old 08/16/2006, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

nano-reef.com has many Nanocube 24G cracking horror stories.

Question: Was your nanocube the "2006" model? The 2006 models supposedly have stronger glass. The 2006 models come with the JBJ surface skimmer (this might helpyou answer).

My LFS says JBJ stands for "just bought junk".

Chris
Old 08/17/2006, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

It was one of the first tanks.I believe the redesigned tanks have a serial # on the back of the tank.Mine does not.I don`t think the newer tank has the cracking problem that i`m aware of.I think they made the glass thicker.