Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Seahorse pics

So, everything is going great with my new redi seahorses.

I have them in a 90 gal. tank. Plan on getting a couple more pair. I don't know what sex these are, they're still too young to tell. But Debbie, the breeder, will hook me up with what I need when I figure what sex I have.

I am training them to eat from a feeding station. So if you look at the pics, that is what the plastic cup is. It's a cup you hang on a sink or shower wall to hold soap, scrub pads, you get the idea. They have already found it and are chomping away. Again, one of the pics has one of the horses down in the cup eating mysis.

Debbie, the breeder, had them in a 20 or 30 gal. tank. The tanks were bare bottom, and empty except for a couple things for them to hitch to. So they are not sure what to make of their new home. They are swimming around, investigating the place, playing in the water flow, searching the live rock for food goodies.

Two of them are black, and two tend to be a lighter green/yellow.

My pictures are really horrible I know. But, you can get the idea.

Hope you enjoy, I'm having a blast! It's so cool seeing them lazily floating and swimming around. I, I mean my wife, really wanted them. I was like cool, but not as excited as her. Well, that's all over, they are totally hot!

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...7vert/?start=0
Old 12/31/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

They look great! Is that a 55 gallon?
Old 12/31/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

90 gal.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Nice Vert !

A whole 90gallon for ponies ! That's going to be great when you get them all in there. The feeding station is a great idea...especially in such a large tank. I was wondering how you were going to feed them in there....haha
Old 12/31/2007, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Again good luck!! Take care of those babies!!! =)
Old 12/31/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Emg2
Nice Vert !

A whole 90gallon for ponies ! That's going to be great when you get them all in there. The feeding station is a great idea...especially in such a large tank. I was wondering how you were going to feed them in there....haha
Yep, it's going to be quite a corral. That's CORRAL not Coral, that's the other tank. I may get a couple other fish, but pretty much species specific.

Yee Haw!
Old 12/31/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

You need to toss in some gorgonians Vert.......they'd LOVE em !
Old 01/01/2008, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Awesome! Nice job.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Emg2
You need to toss in some gorgonians Vert.......they'd LOVE em !
Ya, but my experience is that gorgonians just don't seem to last. Maybe when the whole tank is much more established and settled in. Gorgonians just seem to slowly fade away, IMO.

Maybe someone can chime in and let me know what the secret is to keeping them happy.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

I've got a gorgonian in my 29 that seem to be doing really well.......I donated a small frag from it at the last meeting in the Santa swap. It was in the jar with the cheato and two shrooms.

Here's a couple of thumbnail pics of the parent....a frag that Dan Hubert gave me back in March......it must be one of the easier gorgs to grow because it's done really well for me without much fuss at all....

Old 01/01/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

That is a very hardy looking gorgonain for sure!