Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/07/2008, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Pseudochromis dilectus vs. steenei

I just picked up a beautiful dottyback, but I'm a bit concerned that s/he may not be the species I think s/he is -- I was told this is a P. dilectus, but after looking them up these fish look remarkably similar to P. steenei, which are apparently much more aggressive (though I know I didn't exactly purchase a pussycat). My current stock (tang, swallowtail angel, dwarf angel, damsels) should live happily with most Pseudos, but steenei dottybacks are known to make any tank into a species tank by killing all their tankmates; if s/he turns out to be the wrong species I'm in trouble.

I couldn't get a pic earlier, as s/he is hiding in a narrow PVC tube in the QT, so I'm hoping someone can give me a definitive characteristic for either species that I can look for on my fish. I know male steenei dottys have a white line behind their eyes, and my fish doesn't have this, but it could still be a female or maybe young males don't have this mark.

Thanks for any help or ideas
Old 01/08/2008, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

Please post a picture of the fish you baught.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:29 AM
Registered Member

Female steeneis are an entirely different colour pattern. Dialectus is a much duller colour than male steenei's.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:49 AM
Our man in the East

Dilectus - Faded orange face, pink gill area, grey / purple body. Dorsal fin is grey/purple with red edging. Can have orange in its eye

Steenei - Both male and female have white line. Male is generally grey / black with yellow tail. Female is similar except has orange face.

Naturally, there are variables but this should give you something to go on.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 01/08/2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Thank you so much guys, I appreciate the help.

Scotty25 - I'm a stickler for pics as well -- I don't like ID threads without one either. Unfortunately, s/he's hiding away and I don't like to disturb new purchases in the QT unless it's absolutely necessary; I like to give them time to settle in and keep stress levels as low as possible. There's no way I can get a pic right now - s/he was in a PVC tube in the LFS, healthy but taking refuge in the only hiding spot in the tank, and I provided on in the QT since that seems to work for most fish and it might seem familiar. S/he took to it right away, and will dart out for food or exploration when I'm not around, but as soon as anyone's in front of the tank it's back to the tube. It's clear the fish is watching me from inside the tube, and s/he seems very healthy, just shy. So for now, no pics.

wayne in norway - thanks!

BangkokMatt - I can't tell you how helpful that is. I've done hours of image searching, and couldn't come up with anything certain but your descriptions are incredibly clear and confirm that I do indeed have a dilectus (thank goodness). S/he has an orange-y face, lavender body and red edging on the fin, and no white line on the face.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

P. steenei also have protruding teeth in the jaw. Both sexes have them. I don't know about dilectus though. Do they have the same mouth structure?

Matthew
Old 01/09/2008, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

I believe steenei's teeth are much larger, but according to what I've read, when they're juvis their teeth aren't nearly as pronounced as when they're adults.

I got a good look at my fish today -- he's out and about more and seems less spooky already -- and he's definitely a dilectus. The red border on his fins wasn't so apparent at the LFS; his colour seems to have deepened overall, maybe he's more comfortable here. The red lines his dorsal and caudal fins, and there's absolutely no white on his face, no hint of a line at all. And no crazy huge teeth either, FWIW

I feel so relieved -- this LFS isn't always accurate in their labeling, and I had to take an (albeit very experienced) employee's word that this was indeed a dilectus. Glad to have it confirmed though -- it would be a disaster to release a terror into my reef when all I'm after is a tough little fish that won't take any crap from the angels, damsels or bossy yellow tang.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

LOL. Most FS are known for mislabeling ( it can be a help in coral acquistions for me at times!). I'm glad you got what you thought you had & wanted. Not like the guy that got a bi-color Dottyback intsead of a Gramma loretto!

Matthew