Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

Still have Hair Algea

I still have hair algea in my tank. How do I get my hair algea problem under control? I have had a problem for a few months and can't seem to get rid of it. I replaced all my RO/DI equipment because the water being produced was high in TDS. My phosphates at last check were 0.03. I'm running a Phosban reactor and an MRC beckett skimmer. When I do water changes, I try to siphon out as much as I can, but it grows back. I put some cheato in my fuge with lighting on 24/7 but started to see cyano on the walls of the fuge so I turned the light off. The light in the fuge has been off for a few weeks. Cheato is still in there. I didn't see any benefits from the cheato, maybe it needs more time. I'm interested in anyones ideas.

Thanks
Old 01/02/2008, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Nutrients + Light = Algae

Questions for you.

1. How much do you feed you tank?
2. Do you have sufficient flow to prevent the majority of the uneaten food and poop from settling?
3. What is the photoperiod for the display tank?
4. How often are you emptying the skimmer out? or how much waste is being removed daily?
5. How often and how much water are you changing out?
6. What kind of clean up crew is currently in the tank?

The fuge with chaeto can help create a balance but first you need to get the main tank under control. The cyano was probably a result of low flow in the fuge. Not a huge concern when compared to the hair.

--landlord
Old 01/02/2008, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

1. How much do you feed you tank?
I feed a Nori about once a week. All the fish seem to eat this. I've really cut down on feeding.
Quote:
2. Do you have sufficient flow to prevent the majority of the uneaten food and poop from settling?
I'm not sure of the total flow all I can say is my return pump is an Iwaki 40XLRT and I have a Maxi-Jet 900, a Maxi-Jet 1200 and a Modified Maxi-jet 1200 in the tank for flow.
Quote:
3. What is the photoperiod for the display tank?
MH are on from 1:30pm to 8:00pm
VHO Actinics are on from 12:00pm to 9:00pm
Quote:
4. How often are you emptying the skimmer out? or how much waste is being removed daily?
I empty the waste collector every week and a half or so. Not sure of the volume.
Quote:
5. How often and how much water are you changing out?
Not often enough. I recently set up a new saltwater changing drum which makes water changing easier. So I'm planning on doing 5g a week. My total system volume (sump and display) is about 150g give or take.
Quote:
6. What kind of clean up crew is currently in the tank?
I have several Astrea, nassarius and cerith snails,some hermits and I think there still a small emerald crab in there somewhere. I'm considering a sea hare.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:23 PM
clams are your friends.

how long have you been running the Phosban Reactor and when was the last time you changed the media? It took my tank about 8 weeks and one media change to show improvement but once it started, the algae died back almost overnight. I also introduced a Purple Tang that has done an incredible job of cleaning all remnants on the rocks. I'd also try stepping up the water change schedule for a while. Try doing 10+ gallons per week for a couple months.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Phosban has been in the tank a few weeks, maybe a little over a month. I guess I could change the media out. My new saltwater storage barrel will only allow me to do 5g water changes at a time. Perhaps I can do two 5g water changes per week. Do you think that would help?
Old 01/02/2008, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

i had lots of hair algae in my tank for a while . I steped up the skimmer and left it on 24-7 . I put some caulerpa in my fuge, and i also added a bag of carbon in my pump return area. The only algae thats left now is on the liverock and has turned from bright green to dark brown and my yellow tank is feasting...
Old 01/02/2008, 02:51 PM
clams are your friends.

I certainly don't think it would hurt-- there's no better way to deal with a nutrient problem than exporting nutrient laden water and replacing it with less nutrient laden water. Also, give the PhosBan reactor some time. It can take a while but you will see results eventually.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Go get an 18 gal rubbermaid contair for 5 bucks... I have two that I use. It take about 4 hours for my RO to fill it 75%. Maybe a radio flyer wagon to pull it on...

That way you can get the water that you need for thos changes.. Or for about 60 bucks yo can get a 35 gal Brute trash can with the wheels...
Old 01/02/2008, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

I see that you have your lights on in the evenings like I do. Is it possible that there is a lot of light coming in from a window during the "dark" period?
Old 01/02/2008, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

The room where the tank is has a sliding patio door . The door has vertical blinds on the. During the day we keep the blinds barely open so I don't think that's the problem.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

I would try chemicals......
After all chemicals make the world go round.;-)
Anyways,I won some stuff called Phos-stop or something like that.
Dosed according to the directions.In 48 hrs I filled my skimmer cup twice.Then the HA started to losen up and the PHs started to blow some off the rock.I reached in and harvested it right off the rocks without a problem.No side effects to coral,pods,fish,snails crabs,shrimp or anenome.....everything is fine.
I have about 95% less green then I had.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

You can try running you refugium light opposite to your display lights.

You may want to try algaebase.org to confirm that is actually GHA your seeing not not something like bryopsis.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

i had the same problem a few years back hair agea everywhere ,it was like 2" long tried all sorts.eventualy what worked was a cobination of roaphos lowering the light peiod and stoped water changes untill it burned itself out on whatever it was feeding on.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

sorry about the spelling to muck beer
Old 01/02/2008, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie z
stoped water changes
Wow, stopped water changes? Everything I'm reading says to increase water changes.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

What is the link for "algaebase.org?" www.algaebase.org does not seem to work....
Old 01/02/2008, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Sorry it was http://www.algaebase.org/, but its taking a crazy amount of time to load for me. Maybe the site was taken down?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

yeah thats what i did to start more water changes but didnt help. then my local coral farmer told me to starve the algea cos even with r.o. or d.i. theres still nutrients so i took his advice and it worked for me.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

i also beleave in leaving the purple algea alone on the sides as it out competes the hair algea and cyano
Old 01/03/2008, 02:23 AM
Premium Member

Mine eventually went away. At 8 months, I have had various blooms of different stuff. It all goes away eventually.

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 01/03/2008, 02:49 AM
Aquarium Addict

I've been battling it for a while now. I've gotten really aggressive on harvesting it. I think I'm getting ahead.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:52 AM
Registered Member

I dont think you have enough flow in your display. It sounds like you have a 120 with a 30 sump? I have a 55 display in it I have 2 koralia 2's, 1 koralia 1and 2 maxi 1200's one of them blowing across the back. Use a turkey baster over some of your rocks and back in cubby holes and see how much stuff blows up,I bet its a bunch. If so I would add at least one more powerhead. In addition try and suck out as much crap as you can from your rocks and corners and down in your sump,all that stuff really adds up. Oh and a toothbrush goes a long way at getting that HA off your rocks and such.Keep up the fight.