Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

impossible algea on glass!!

yes hello....yes i know this is a totally marine site..but in the near future i plan on going salt and using this site alot and really dont care to go to other forums....i have a 55 gallon fw community tank thats been up foe 4 years...just lately 6 months or so this super difficult green and brown algea is growing rapidly on the glass which is unreal when i try to scrape it off....is there a chemical out there that would stop this? whats causing it? im not physically able to keep this stuff scraped off due to a heart condition....i just figure u sw guys use to be fw guys and have experienced this before..ty u all..
Old 12/29/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Not a FW prop but could be water source , lack of flow , overfeeding or overstocking. Improper water changes to name a few? They do sell FW test kits and this would help narrow down the source.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:31 AM
Team RC Member

I would imagine the answer is the same as in marine: limit phosphate or remove it.
Run a fuge 24/7 lighting; it will outcompete the tank for phosphate, which comes from: tap water, dry fish food, live rock, and various other sources. Mostly conditioned tap water. It's algae fertilizer. If you have a good, big fuge, marine-wise, you don't have to scrape algae.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Get a Pleco and your problem will be solved over night. It is not a pretty fish but it gobbles up all of the algea you can give it.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

i second the pleco and i wouldnt use and chemicals on fw algea just get a glass spong algea cleaner and scrub it off and maybe leave your light off a day or so and it will good.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:08 AM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

agreed with nutrients causing the problem. Do water changes, get the phosphate out of your water. Don't rely on chemicals - they are quick fixes that mask the real problem.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 12/29/2007, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

A pleco is a great idea, and you don't need to get a run-of-the-mill H.plecostomus (they can grow up to 24" and are poop machines) - try a bristlenose, rubberlip, or another small plec. They tend to be more industrious cleaners and they contribute less to the nutrient issue (less poop=less phosphate). If you do get a 'standard' plec, get a small one. The larger they get, the more meat they want in their diet and the lazier they get. Believe it or not, a 2" baby will remove more algae than an 8" monster, and poops a LOT less

Regular water changes using a gravel vac will help lower nutrients as well by removing the poop and any leftover food before it breaks down.

If you can get some help to remove what's there now, a MagFloat magnet cleaner might help keep it at bay once the glass is clean. How about asking a friend or neighbor over and offering them a beer (or a case, if the problem is really bad ) to scrape the algae for you? Then once it's gone, use the MagFloat religiously, every day, and it should stay away. This is how I keep coralline from growing in my 90g - I miss bits here and there, and once it's established I need to use a razor blade (about once every two to three months, and only in a few spots), but swiping the glass daily is a huge help.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

I do not recommend plecos they always get too big and if you do not supplement their diet with romaine lettuce they will often die. They do not actually "clean" the glass so much as make weird marks in it that look just as bad as the algae.

The short term answer is a razor blade, American made ones are the best quality from the hardware store.

The long term answer is to put some live plants in your tank to take the nutrients up that the algae are surviving on. Your tank is trying to tell you that it is ready for live plants...
Old 12/29/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

well first of all thank u all for the replys....i will get some live plants....how do i remove phosphates? the plecos r out of the question...poop machines they r ...not to long ago i had my tank completely empty except for fish...my tank is 48 inches long, my pleco was maybe 7 inches...and i aint stretching this a bit...but his poop was 36 inches long...i never noticed this because of all the decorations in the tank kept it broken into small pieces...i really like plecos though, maybe i will get a couple of tiny ones and trade them at 4 inches...i use to have a couple 3 inch apple snails...r they good for algea control? cant find any big ones anymore....im not physically able 2 to go to lfs to get that top off water...thats probably the straw thats going to break my plans for going sw...aint there someway to make that top off water at home?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Switching to Saltwater would solve your porblems.J/K
But I think you should at least find out what your working with and get a test kit to give you a starting point
As far as making your own water there are filters called RO/DI, if you go to the sponsers links you can find some there. I could be mistaking but don't they sell additives for fw to be able to use tap water? Like a water conditioner? Are you using anything like that?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
get the little clown plecos. They only grow like 3 inches. Look just like big pleco but have yellow stripes and coloring. I LOVE plecos!!! There are also those chinese algea eaters but always hated them. Also agree with the lights. Turn off!! Really only need on when you are enjoying the view. Thought the Apple Snails were messier than a pleco any day! Yeah, can buy RO system for your home. Want mine? Still new in box.

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!
Old 12/29/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I would defiantly add plants, i've been doing FW for about six months and only use live plants and i never have algae problems. Not only do they help with water quality but they also make your aquarium look great. You could also look into getting a similar algae eating fish that doesn't get as big like a Chinese algae eater or some FW shrimp.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Chinese algae eaters actually eat the scales and slime layer of the other fish in the tank, they SUCK...
Old 12/30/2007, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

i have had FW tanks for ever and i always have had a pleco and they work really well and if they overgrow you can always find someone with a pond. I also keep live plants in my tank and never have a problem with algea.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

There almost has to be a reason..I have kept FW tanks with good
lights and no plants and didn't have an algae problem..Too many
fish or not enough water changes would be my guess.