Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Which heater to buy?

I ordered my new tank from LFS which comes in next week and I tried to minimize the number of accessories I purchased there because a lot of the stuff can be purhased much cheaper online. One of the things I did not purchase was a heater (heaters). I am getting a 90 gallon which will be in a room that tends to be generally stable in temperature, between 65 and 75 year round. The tank will see minimal direct sunlight, however is in between a door and window where drafts tend to be more severe when it is extremely cold out. I would like to use two heaters, one redundant in case the first fails and I would prefer ones that are accurate and self regulating. Oh, they will also be placed in the sump.

Any recommedations on brand, wattage, etc.? With the size of my investment, price doesn't matter much, however it doesn't make sence to pay 50% more at the LFS for any item.

Thanks!
Old 12/27/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

get a finex titanium heater, 100 watt will be good for you! stay away from glass heaters
Old 12/27/2007, 11:27 PM
Team RC Member

I have never had any problems with Via Aqua Titanium heaters. Thye have a seperate controller and temp sensor and are very accurate. I agree, stay away from glass.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Here's a review of a Finnex heater that may change your mind: http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.p...content&id=188

Using two small heaters for redundancy is smart.

Despite its glass construction, I recommend the Eheim Jager heater because its temperature selection dial can be recalibrated if it drifts.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

I disagree. Best heater in my experience is Ebo jager. It is one of teh few if not only that is calibrated. It is glass and i have never had one shatter ever. been doing fish especially BIG freshwater fish where the heater was in the tank and no shatter.

You can use 2 to be safe that is defiently a good idea i do the same. But putting them on a controller is the key!
Old 12/29/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so as a newb, is there a brand model where I can have two hooked up to one controller, or something like that?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

I use 3 Ebo Jager heaters on my 90 contoller with my AC jr.

I highly recommend the Jagers and also recommend some sort of controller, either AC jr, Ranco, or other.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
Old 12/29/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ElDiabloPollo
I use 3 Ebo Jager heaters on my 90 contoller with my AC jr.

I highly recommend the Jagers and also recommend some sort of controller, either AC jr, Ranco, or other.
I was gald to see this response as I was wondering if you could control more than 1 heater with the AC jr. Is that in fact the case?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I like Jagers as well. I have used several and have never had one fail or any trouble with them. Two smaller heaters are better than 1 as you you won't have as much trouble if one gets stuck in the "on" or "off" position. Although it has never happened to me, I have heard several horror stories about a heater getting stuck in one position. I believe that you should be able to hook two regular heaters to most single or dual stage temp controllers. I have heard that this style controller is more reliable - and more expensive.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:43 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

you could also get a Ranco (?) temperature controller, which I doubt will malfunction.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

ebo jager , use two smaller ones
Old 12/29/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

In case my two 200 watt finex heaters go crazy, my reefkeeper 2 controller will shut them off

Quote:
Originally posted by pjf
Here's a review of a Finnex heater that may change your mind: http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.p...content&id=188

Using two small heaters for redundancy is smart.

Despite its glass construction, I recommend the Eheim Jager heater because its temperature selection dial can be recalibrated if it drifts.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

You will find nightmare stories about ALL hobby heaters. They ALL fail and do so with regularity. This means Ebo, Finnex... whatever.

You should be using a Ranco or similar industrial/commercial temperature controller (or a dedicated aquarium controller like the lighthouse or aquacontroller).

Use several small heaters and adjust their thermostats so that they will kick the heaters on at a temperature slightly above the controllers set point. This provides redundant heating elements and failsafer operation in the event that heaters and/or the controller sticks 'ON'.

There is no problem with glass heaters. The best way to run a heater is in an area will it will not run submerged and will never run dry. This means suspending them in the intake compartment of the sump, or through the sump wall with a bulkhead and large "cord grip". You can also purchase heater "wells". If they don't run with the heads submerged, they can't leak. If they can't run with the body dry, they can't burn up.

A little common sense and a small investment in a quality controller makes all the difference in the world. Droves of people lose entire tanks to heater malfunctions. Most of the loses could have been easily prevented.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

You can put an adapter on your controller outlet so two small heaters can be plugged into it. The heaters should only be set a few degrees higher than the controller so they can protect the tank in case the controller probe falls out of the tank.

Last edited by pjf; 12/30/2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

And of ourse where I said Use several small heaters and adjust their thermostats so that they will kick the heaters on at a temperature slightly above the controllers set point

The word ON should have read OFF....

so much for proofreading.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

With the AC jr I just plugged 3 heaters into a powerstrip, set the heaters to 79 and plugged the powerstrip into the AC jr. I then set the temp for the heaters to go off at 78.5.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
Old 12/30/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

I would not trust the dial on the heaters. I would bring the tank to temp, then turn the just past the point where you feel the the contacts touch. If you can not feel the set point, you can bring the tank to temp, then bypass the controller and adjust the dials to just below the point where the heater turns off.

This takes 30 seconds and should be done as part of your regular weekly maintenance.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Jagers
Old 12/30/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

I'm confused on the Jagers, some sites say they are fully submersible, other partly immersible. I'm not sure if they are different models or what is going on.

Can anybody help clarify?

Sorry for the dumb question but it is driving me nuts.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

The newer jagers have a "min waterlevel "etched on the cap. I , and many others, misread this as a "max" water level similar to those found on the old "hang on" heaters. So far as I have seen ( when I bothered to read carefully) all the jagers are fully submersible.

However, they aint what they used to be. All the old green ones I bought are still working well--some after 20 years. I never had one fail. However, I had to replace all three of the new "blue top" version I bought within two years and am now buying Visitherm (which I cannot recommend)

Anyone want to invest in a start-up high end heater company?
Old 12/30/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so for my 90 gallon, are two 150w sufficient or should I have two 200w? My room temp is fairly consistent around 70 deg. and both will be in the sump.

Thanks
Old 12/30/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I would go with the 2 x 150 watt if the room is not going to be subjected to temperature extremes (leaving the house heater off for days at a time in the middle of winter) and you will not be using a seperate temp controller. There will be a lot of heat added from lights, pumps, etc. If you will be using a seperate temp controler it wouldn't matter.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Anyone want to invest in a start-up high end heater company?
The bottom line is that there is simply not a market for a quality heater. You could not compete with the $25 crap that everybody sells.

The concepts of reliable, miniature and low cost are pretty much mutually exclusive. You have to argue with people to convince them to buy a Ranco for $75 bucks. They can't see past the $18 heater or the fact that it will easily take out a $10,000 investment.

If they will not buy a Ranco that will ensure a safe system, what makes you think they will spend $40-$50 on a quality heater?
Old 12/30/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
[B]

If they will not buy a Ranco that will ensure a safe system, what makes you think they will spend $40-$50 on a quality heater?
Haha, well put. I just got an AC jr. and will set it as a back up control for my heaters. It also has the advantage that should thinkgs really get out of hand, it will turn on fans, my chiller, and turn off the halides should the temp really sky rocket.

FWIW, i also like the Ebo jagers and will use those with my AC. My two stealth heaters fluctuate all over the place.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

I appreciate the input on brands, models, and controllers. All of these experiences and insight help a lot.

Any confirmation on the use of two 150s or two 200s for my 90 gal?