Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Dwarf flame angelfish

Are these fish reef safe?

It says "with caution".

Will the flame angels go after clams, SPS, LPS, Softies, Mushrooms, or Zooanthids?

I just love these fish. So much color!

Please give your opinion and past expierences with this fish!!!!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Anyone???
Old 12/27/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

I've had 4 Flame angels. All did ok, didn't bother clams, softies, or zoos. The only problem I had is that they would seem to be ok, then after a month lose their color, and die a day or two later .

I may try again, although, I now have a Potter's angel that is doing great (longer than a month now) and he does nothing to the clams or anything either, he will nip at times some of my sps but just a quick peck and moves on.

Hope this helps...
Old 12/27/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

I have on in my with all that and knock on wood all good. But it is hit or miss.Love mine your right adds great color
Old 12/27/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

No problems with any of my past flame angels.Have had current one for 2 years in mixed reef .No problems.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:58 AM
Premium Member

Clams - very possibly
SPS - probably not
LPS - the more fleshy varieties (brains etc.) are often nibbled by Centropyge angels
Softies - probably not
Mushrooms - no
Zoas - no

Dwarf angels are a gamble. Some are well behaved all their lives, some ignore corals for months or years and then suddenly develop a taste, and some go straight for your prized coral/clam the minute you add them to the tank. There's no way to tell.

That said, I love dwarf angels and think they're worth the risk. I don't keep clams and only have one LPS at the moment, but plan on adding more in the future. I just bought a coral beauty, and he's with me to stay - if he eats coral, so be it - I knew what I was getting into when I bought him
Old 12/28/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

So if I would get one for my 65 gal (still in the setup process) and I add the fish before the clams, would the fish go after the clam if I added the clam after the flame angelfish?

Is it best to introduce the angel after everything is in place, such as corals or clams?

Thanks evryone for the imput so far!

I will probably get one b/c they are one of my favorite marine fish. I mean who cannot resisit those beautiful colors!
Old 12/28/2007, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

Won't try to answer your which to introduce first question because I have not tried it both ways. I hesitated for quite some time for the same reasons you cite and finally introduced a Flame Angel to a tank with SPS, LPS and a clam. So far so good. It shows a little interest in corals, but nothing to worry about so far. I feed a lot of mysis and I have read where feeding meaty foods may satisfy their craving for coral polyps. Don't know if that is true, but mine really likes mysis and doesn't seem to be doing any damage to corals.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:26 AM
Team RC Member

I suspect if you add the corals and clams first, you have a better chance of success.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Agree - anything that goes in after the fish is obviously food.....

I would think in order of danger clams then lps then zo's are the most likely to go....

You can always try pairing them - look in the other threads on here, but if you get two very small examples (under two inches) you should be ok). Don't forget to QT them, unless you really, really trust the source, like getting one 'used'.

They should be fairly hardy - losing 4, each after a month, implies a problem. My Centropyge have all lived several years at least.
Old 12/28/2007, 05:36 PM
Professional somedays

crt81, I was also worried about this very same issue. So I found someone on this site within driving distance getting rid of their tank with a model citizen flame angel. Been great for the past 6 months and hopefully he'll be around for a lot longer.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

I hear sponge food was good in curving their cravings.