Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Is this Brook?

Here are a couple of shots. It doesn't resemble pieces of salt. More of a flaking of the skin. He just cam out of 14 days of hypo and 16 days of Cupramine. I added Cupramine back last night and they are 90% gone again. Thanks.

Old 04/29/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Anyone?

So all visible signs of this stuff is gone now after being put back in Cupramine at 0.4. Any ideas what it is?
Old 04/29/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Probably not brooklymella. I don't see anything on the fish now. It could be lymphocystis. It can start from using copper because it suppresses immune function. Lymphocystis can also just disapear. Hard to tell from the photos and the limited information that you gave.

Terry B

A large water change can cover a multitude of sins against your aquarium.
Old 04/29/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

I circled them. Probably more, but they are hard to see in the pics.

Old 04/29/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Looks like Ich to me. I had the same thing happen. I treated with cupramine at 0.3-0.4 mg/l and after I removed the copper it appeared to come back exactly like those spots. I retreated up to 0.5 mg/l and it appears to have been erradicated as of today. The higher dose was not without problems however, I did loose a PBT after seizures. A purple tang also showed seizures but was saved. Beautiful fish! I hope it comes through!

It is not Brook IMO.

Last edited by jacob30; 04/29/2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04/29/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

The only problem is, they have been in Cupramine for over 3 weeks now. I think I need to get them in some clean water for at least a week before I start the 14 day cycle over again. I have been using Red Sea which only goes up to .4. I am going to do a water change tonight and watch them closely over the next couple of weeks. I have 2 True Percs, a Skipper, and a Flame Hawk in the same tank. I lost 3 fish so far to different reasons so far. I lost a YWG to unknown reasons. I think he got burnt by the heater. I lost the Flame Anygel to undown reasons. And I think my Majestic ate my Two spot because he was missing a spot (fin) before I left for work and was in 3 pieces when I got home. It hasn't been a good week.
Old 04/29/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

You should really treat ich for a minimum of three weeks. Are you treating in a Qtank? Is your main display tank fishless? Hyposalinity is probably a better treatment for ich, especially with tangs and angels.

Terry B

Old 04/29/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

I think hypo is an option now. I had a nano and my 75g main going. I first noticed ich in my nano. I went and got a 20G QT for them. Then, a week later, in my 75G main I noticed Ich on my flame angel. It was a HUGE mess. I picked up a 50G QT after that and, after taking 7 days to bring the salinity back up from hypo, put everythin in the 50G QT and treated with Cupramine. Since the Red Sea kits only went to .4, that is all I went to. Now, something has come back and I am not at all happy. I am going to leave these guys in fresh RO as long as I can. I will keep a close eye on them and, at the first sign of Ich, will put them in hypo. Thanks for the help... this has been an incredible roller coaster of a ride for myself, as well as my wife. I am doing the best that I can.
Old 04/29/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Cupramine should work just fine at .4ppm provided the level is maintained constantly for a minimum of 3 weeks. The display tanks should be fishless for 6 weeks for the ich to die out. FW dips won'y do anything to cure ich, but they will stress and weaken the fish. Treat with hypo 3+ weeks and check the pH daily. Do not mix hypo and copper.

Terry B

Old 04/29/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

They have been a .4 for 16 days now. 3 Days out and that stuff showed up on my Majestic. They have been a .4 for another 3 days. I am pulling them out now to keep an eye on them. I just want to give them a break from the cupramine. My display has been fallow for 4 weeks now... just another 4 before I will put anything in it.
Old 04/30/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

following along.

I had the same, have been in copper for 14 days, but sent a scraping off one of my fish and was positively identified as brook 7 days into the treatment. Symtoms went away when first put in copper, but am nervous about taking out, or treating with formalin if no physical signs are displaying themselves. ???
Old 04/30/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

If it were on a person, I would say it was a skin tag. It looks like a growth to me. If it's ich, it should fall off and spread a few days later. I think the fish looks very nice. Great color! I vote for quarentining and just observing for a while.
Old 05/09/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Whatever it is, it is back again today. Starting another 3 weeks of Cupramine today. I am also ordering a Salifert Copper kit to get it to .5 this time. After these 3 weeks are up, they will be getting a Formalin bath before going into the display.
Old 05/09/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I would try a series of formalin dips now instead of repeating copper treatment. One dip every third day for a total of three treatments. I would also be keeping the fish in hypo instead of copper, but I already suggested that.

Terry B

Old 05/15/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

A week into Cupramine and I saw one spot that wasn't there the previous day. I showed the pics to a local reefer and he thought it was Cauliflower disease so I started looking into Lymphocystis again. This picture on wetwebmedia looks like a dead givaway.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lymphfaqs.htm

Nothing is showing up on the fins yet, but it looks really close. I am thinking about pulling the copper out tonight with a water change and starting carbon.
Old 05/16/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

You may see an article that I wrote about lymphocystis in the June issue of Reefkeeping right on this Website. It may be lymphocystis if the lesions are irregular in shape and size. Copper certainly won't help if it is lymphocystis.

Terry B