Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 05/11/2007, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Ich??? or Possibly something else???

About a week ago I noticed small white pimples on my Lollipop Tang. I assumed it was ich. I couldn't get the fish out so I purchase 2 cleaner shrimp, a cleaner wrasse, and raised the water temp to 82.3ish. After a few days I noticed the white pimples were going away. Yesterday, I noticed that they were coming back and he had more this time than the last time but he was eating and the shrimp were having a field day on him. Tonight when I got home the Lollipop Tang was dead, my Anthias seems to be on his way out (can only swim vertically...head down) and I noticed white dots on all of my live rock and snail shells. Can this be ich?? or is it another diease?? Whatever it is I need to get rid of it before it destroys my entire tank. Any help would be great.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Here is a pic of a turbo snail with the white pimples on it. If you take a sharp object to them you hear them pop.

Old 05/12/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

The chances are that the spots you are seeing on the fish and on the inverts are not related. Do you have any photos of the fish?

Terry B

A large water change can cover a multitude of sins against your aquarium.
Old 05/12/2007, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Terry...Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the Tang. The anthias, which did die overnight, had no white pimples on it. It was just breathing very heavily and swimming vertically. The copperband, which was the first to go, died the exact same way as the anthias. Since you don't think the white pimples on the fish and the LR/Snail shells are the same, do you have an idea of what is on the LR/Snail shells? Whatever is in my tank is creating some problems. I'm going to try Kick-Ich today, but I still think there is something else in there.
Old 05/12/2007, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Well I lost my dottyback, cleaner wrasse, and one yellow tailed damsel today. I dosed with Kick-Ich and Rally based on a friends and LFS recommendation. My LFS thinks I definitely have more than one problem going on here. I also visited 3 or 4 LFS's today with the actual snail shell and no one knew what is infesting my tank. So if anyone knows what it is please let me know because a lot of people are curious as to what it can be.