Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Peppermint Shrimp for Aptasia???

I am starting to see aptasia pop-up around my tank and i was wondering if anyone has tried peppermint shrimp?

I am also wondering if anyone has recently had their peppermint shrimp breed in their tank and would be willing to sell one?

Thanks
Old 01/11/2008, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

they do work, but they can be hit or miss. some will eat them and some won't. There might be some members on here that might part with a known aptasia eater
Old 01/11/2008, 08:54 PM
My Boys

I am moving to a new tank and have peps that I will be selling soon. let me know K . mine eat it. atleast in my tanks they do.
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Ryan - soon as this weekend? Also do you know if they are aptasia eaters?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

They are hit or miss. I read that there is two peppermint, each from a different area. If I remember right the pep's from austrailia are the ones that eat apstasia, but I could very well be wrong on that.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:59 PM
][D][][V][][D

I had little aiptasia popping up all over my tank a few months ago, I bought a couple peps from ATR, and POOF!! Gone!! I haven't seen one since!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:01 PM
My Boys

it will be next week that I move to a new tank. but if you can hold off till then. yeah mine eat aptasia
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I bought some from reeftopia and all my aiptasia disappeared with in 4 days. I bought four for my twenty gallon it had been infested.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:38 PM
My Boys

thats where I got mine.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

The Atlantic ones with the black tails are the ones that 'supposedly' go after the apistasia. Like Ryan said the Reeftopia ones seem to go after them more so than others...We picked up 3 from Petco up in Anthem and they seem less enthusiastic than the Reeftopia ones...but who knows...our apistasia issues are finally down to 1 -2 litt suckers...and a diabetic syringe filled with white vinger injected into the stalk literally disolved them in short order...
Old 01/12/2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Curious,
What do the peps eat once the aptasia is gone?

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - B.M.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:16 AM
My Boys

frozzen, flake ect.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Mine will eat any food I feed the fish. Plus I see it "scavenging" at night.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Same here, wether it be flake-frozen-pellets, they seem to go after just about anything, but completly left alone all the inverts and zoo's. Even the devil's hand they seem to 'groom' at night while scavenging.