Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 01/05/2008, 08:13 AM
Just an Average Joe

Unhappy The Lazy Reefmeister's 7-year experiment comes to an end: The Tear Down Begins

This is not truly an "end" but really a "transition" of sorts...

Let me start off by saying: I STILL have the very first saltwater fish I ever bought! a Blue Velvet Damsel purchased at Petco in Westminster almost 8 years ago. 'Tiss now a big ugly black moster of a fish that has earned a cozy retirement in my sump.

An extensive house remodel project (3 years in the making) has finally made its way to the kitchen/dining room where my 90 gallon reef sits as a room divider. I've delayed the inevitable for as long as I can. I now face the breakdown of my pride-and-joy "softy village" after years of fun, excitement, and amazement in this hobby.

Even worse, my very successful (by sheer LUCK, I assure you) garage sump project has to go too! The cubby-hole area of my garage where it now sits is to soon be reclaimed by our newly enlarged kitchen.....space that is simply too valuable to be retained by the garage. I had no clue what I was doing when I started all of this. I just trudged through the mud of research and trial-and-error until I found out what worked and what didn't. Fortunately, I didn't have to rebuild things very often though. Some of you may recall episode II of the Lazy Reefmeister series where this sump and its two-minute water change was presented:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=579223

Now granted, I am in no-way-shape-or-form leaving the hobby, nor am I selling off anything. The vast majority of my time is dedicated to organizing Marine Aquarium Expo this April, as well as two other shows yet to be announced. I could hardly leave the hobby given so many years of involvement. On the contrary, THIS monster of a beast is to be put into service out in my garage holding all my livestock for a few months whilst the house renovations continue...possibly longer.

at 300+ gallons and 3 feet tall, this is going to be a challenge to say the least! Not bad for a holding tank, huh? Nonetheless, the battle begins this weekend and is certainly a new saga for me. I don't quite know how I feel....a bit sad, a bit anxious, apprehensive, whatever you call it. All I know is that it sucks! In any case...please wish me luck.

Thank you for listening

Kevin
Old 01/05/2008, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

wow kevin...thats a nice looking tank/setup...sucks you gotta take it apart...good luck
Old 01/05/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Wow... That's one helluva corner tank! Will that eventually make it into your house as a display or do you have plans for a different tank?
Old 01/05/2008, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

if i was already doing extensive remodeling.... best beleive i would have plans for a 300 gallon in wall reef....

NOT TRYING to cause marital problems, im just saying
Old 01/05/2008, 03:44 PM
TRC Leader

I hope your livestock likes its temporary home until you get the remodel done and your new tank set up.

I love that pivoting light fixture.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

wow softy tank looks great, definately a exceptional holding tank. good luck
Old 01/05/2008, 07:16 PM
Reefer

I love your L-shaped tank. Where did you find it if you don't mind my asking?

Joyce
Old 01/05/2008, 08:59 PM
Brother Maynard

when is the big boy going into service?

need step by step progress pictures fer shure!!!

btw: using a drop cloth on the floor decreases the chances of getting sand on the floor!

Ben.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:22 AM
Just an Average Joe

Hi Everyone, thanks for the encouraging words. I just spent the entire day cleaning/prepping the garage, mixing mass quantities of saltwater, dropped Tank-O-Saurus off the furniture dollies, and helped the wife clear the kitchen of food, cooking utencils, etc. Its amazing how many suvenier glasses one can accumulate over the years.

Tomorrow I install bulkheads, ballvalves, and other plumbing components before freshwater testing and then the real deal with premixed saltwater. Hopefully I'll get done in time to start moving liverock, sand, and livestock into their new temporary home. The Tangs will love the extra swimming room, I'm sure of that. Not sure what I'll end up with after the kitchen remodel though..... Tank-O-Saurus is simply too large for my house at 80" x 60" not to mention 3-feet deep!

Joyce, I got the tank from Bergzy who got the tank from a MASLAC ex pres who got it from another ex pres who got it from the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. Its a custom 1" thick acrylic-wave-shape-built-like-a-battleship-one-of-a-kind-display-tank with matching wave-shaped metal stand, canopy, and facade. Its....its...Tank-O-Saurus! Awesome tank it 'tiss for someone with enough room in their house and a decent contribution to the Save-Kevin-from-a-life-time-of-impending-debt-from-his-over-worked-and-abused-HELOC-O-Saurus! (you home owners will understand)

Well, time for the Reefmeister pain meds and an early appointment with my mattress. Tomorrow is another day
Old 01/06/2008, 01:59 AM
Brother Maynard

*sigh*

i wish i had the time and space for that tank! it sat in my wife's parking space for about a year before deciding to let it go.

make it worthy of its heritage. i 'think' it was built by reynolds. in fact, my neighbor (aerospace engineer who for some reason knows a lot of whatever) looked at it and said with very high probability that it is a reynolds tank.

if it is, which i think it is...as its heritage is from long beach aquarium...then let's just say it is a world class set up. the metal stand alone (beneath the wood front facade) will blow people away on how it was fabricated. an absolute labor of love put into this baby!!!

http://www.reynoldspolymer.com/go.cf...olio_aquariums

Ben.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:42 PM
Just an Average Joe

Update:

Well, Tank-O-Saurus is officially alive. here it is full of freshwater for the leak test:

The patent pending Reefmeister "paper towel test" LOL

schedule 80 plumbing all the way of course:

an overhead shot showing the patent pending Reefmeister "Intake Riser":

The patent pending Reefmeister "Return Tree"

and lastly....just a linear shot of the 1" acrylic....I thought it was really cool that you can see down all 80" to the other side!

I've got all my livestock in as of today but haven't taken pics yet....
I will soon

Last edited by ReefMeister2; 01/08/2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:43 PM
TRC Leader

Look at all those patents. I can't copy any of it?

Looking forward to the updates.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

lol... ^

great looking tank, really interesting and organic.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Beautyfull tank dude congratulations
Old 01/08/2008, 06:00 PM
Just an Average Joe

BTW, I was being facetious about the patents, LOL

....I should't assume everyone understands "Kevin-ology"

For example:
I was just thinkin' how my day wasn't complete until I'd run into one of these. (mmmm, love pullin' tiny spears outta my fingers with tweezers) Damn little prickly bugger!

Old 01/08/2008, 06:01 PM
TRC Leader

Soak your finger in white vinegar for 5 minutes.

I think you made that poor little guy bleed! Bristleworms get no respect, no respect I tell ya!
Old 01/08/2008, 06:50 PM
Just an Average Joe

Framing Hammer, meet worm
Worm, meet Mr. Hammer.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

very nice setup kevin. I'm jealous of that tank. Do the tank waves distort the image at all?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:56 PM
TRC Leader

After soaking your finger, use duct tape to remove the spines, works great. Just be sure to notice which way they went in.

Joyce, I believe it was Lance's tank at one point (MASLAC ex-pres).

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/08/2008, 10:51 PM
Reefer

Thanks everyone for all the info. It's such a beautiful and unusual tank I was curious about it's history.

Joyce