Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

QT multiple fish: together or seperate?

I'm going to be getting small specimens of a sailfin tang and some kind of angel (Imperator or zebra maybe). I've got a 40gal breeder for a QT. Given they will both be small, is it ok to QT them in this size tank for the month or so they will be isolated or would it be better to split them up? I can setup another 40 QT tank if needed, but would rather not if I can avoid it.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I've done it, but generally prefer to avoid it. If one is sick you're pretty well guaranteed the other is as well. Also in a fairly barren tank aggression seems to be magnified, but in a 40 gal breeder there should be some breathing space.

Tough one.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

I am QTing a blue tang, yellow tang and yellow watchman goby in a 33 at the moment. The yellow tang has staked out his little area and is rough with anyone that goes near but other than that there are no problems.

If I had to do it all one by one it would take forever to populated a large tank.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Well I don't mind it taking awhile. I'm in no hurry to get things stocked. much rather safe than sorry, ya know. It's more a matter of the inconvenience of a 2nd QT if it's not needed.

I do worry about one getting sick and making both sick, but the real question is if the size of the tank is going to be ok and not add extra stress to the fish. If it is stressing them out, it kinda defeats part of the purpose of the QT in the first place.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

I'm kind of doing something similar. I have what I call a 'temporary tank' set up, a 55gal, that's at near full salinity (1.021) and has a skimmer running. I'll add the fish to it, before transferring to the 125gal. Granted I will only have 3 fish max in there, but if they do get sick, I have enough spare tanks I can drain the 55 into them and treat each seperately.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

what do you have in the 55 for shelter? something inert like PVC or actual rock? i've always used PVC chunks for QT'ing before and was thinking of fastening up a number of pieces to make some bigger pieces for hiding spots if doing the multiple fish together.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Two freshwater plastic plants, some fake ceramic rock, and some pvc tubes. I suppose I could use actual rock, as I wouldn't treat anything in there (I have a 25, 12, and a 10 waiting in the wings). Though that's just what I had.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Siropa, if you are the patient kind why don't you just get one fish at a time? Just a thought. In response to your post I think it's OK to QT fish in batches especially if they are from the same store/system. I run 2 QT tanks plumbed in-line and at times have 3 fish in each 29g tank. I make acrylic dividers that I can slip in if there is any fighting. I don't consider if one fish is sick or not and contaminating the others. Every fish that goes into my main tank gets one month of copper unless it's a fish that cannot tolerate copper at all in which case I leave it at the store.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Just trying to save on shipping. buying a $25 fish hurts a bit more when the shipping is $34.99.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

Gotcha. I would go ahead and Qt them together. Save on water and energy,too.